Game 27: Philadelphia Flyers at Colorado Avalanche; 12/9/23 @ 9 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are heavy underdogs (+190) and 2-6 in our last eight against them:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-colorado-odds-december-9-2023-2017484

Save for offense, these teams are statistical carbon copies:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/col-vs-phi/2023/12/09/2023020417

So, how well do the "New-and-Improved" Flyers compete against a very skilled squad at high altitude?

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

More random thoughts:

I like Brink. A lot.

I honestly have not watched a ton.

I think there is a lot of talent and instead of "two years" away" being "two years away from being two years away" I am feeling better that it can be two years away.

And I'm fine with that.

Bubble in the first half this year.

Compete for a playoff round without selling off major assets.

Add the superstar that fell into your lap to add to the team that needed that extra something.

WIN SOMETHING.

It's not a bad theory.

:hocky:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

It was fun to watch. This bunch feels it can compete with any team. Good.

sounds like a missed a good one. Any team that goes into Denver and beats the Avs this year is doing a lot of things right.

Konecny with another 2-goal game, Farabee goals in back-to-back - great to see. Brink with the primary assist was a good heads up play. I think @mojo1917 called him Konecny-lite or something like that. A good comparison I think, there's a lot of TK in BB.

edit: Sanheim ... like night and day from last year. He may not be a "true #1" and he wouldn't be on the best teams but he is tearing it up this year. Everything we wanted to see from Sanheim he's delivering in a big way. Tortorella deserves some of the credit for pushing him into playing to his strengths.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

sounds like a missed a good one. Any team that goes into Denver and beats the Avs this year is doing a lot of things right.

Konecny with another 2-goal game, Farabee goals in back-to-back - great to see. Brink with the primary assist was a good heads up play. I think @mojo1917 called him Konecny-lite or something like that. A good comparison I think, there's a lot of TK in BB.

edit: Sanheim ... like night and day from last year. He may not be a "true #1" and he wouldn't be on the best teams but he is tearing it up this year. Everything we wanted to see from Sanheim he's delivering in a big way. Tortorella deserves some of the credit for pushing him into playing to his strengths.

and there's no top 5 players on this team like at some point you have to find gems in the late first round, it's only way you are going to win a championship and we have a ton of that on this roster, not saying we are winning a cup this year, just saying that when cutter and michy, we are going to be deeper and heck we could be a contender in a few years.

thing is, the reason why we are getting better is because we didnt trade away our first round players for trash and by keeping them on this roster we have gotten so much deeper and better. alot of bad teams are so quick on dumping their first round picks like they are candy. im glad we didnt do that. we have to be patient and eventually we will win a cup.

Edited by tucson83

On 12/10/2023 at 9:09 AM, tucson83 said:

and there's no top 5 players on this team like at some point you have to find gems in the late first round, it's only way you are going to win a championship and we have a ton of that on this roster, not saying we are winning a cup this year, just saying that when cutter and michy, we are going to be deeper and heck we could be a contender in a few years.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the team but I'm not sure "it's the only way..championship" is true. It's hard to disregard the point  @flyercanuck made that nearly every Cup winner has had an overall #1 skating for them. I'm not saying - and he didn't either - that there's zero chance w/out one. But it's obviously the exception.

The thing is I think if the Flyers stay on track with the rebuild they can be another exception in a few years. As you said there's some big talent on the way (providing Michkov actually makes it over). The culture they're building is already bearing fruit. We're seeing young guys actually developing their games while skating for the Flyers...When was the last time that was true? It's been so long I can't even remember.

Eventually the Flyers will need help on D and they probably won't find it in the draft because they'll pick too high. That leaves acquiring it in trade and that's never easy...teams generally don't part with their "stud D-men"... but it's not impossible. The Flyers don't need the 2nd coming of Chara or Pronger just a big-minutes guy who can protect the net and kill penalties. They've already got their mobile D-men.  

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Eventually the Flyers will need help on D and they probably won't find it in the draft because they'll pick too high.

I'm not sure about this assumption. Good scouting should be able to find good Dman. Make a trade to move up to get the guy you really want etc.

On 12/10/2023 at 8:08 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

Any team that goes into Denver and beats the Avs this year is doing a lot of things right.

They lost to Anaheim twice in this six game skid that started losing to Arizona.

Including three straight at home.

Suffice to say "the Avs" aren't "the Avs" at the moment.

Still a good win.

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not sure about this assumption. Good scouting should be able to find good Dman. Make a trade to move up to get the guy you really want etc.

Good point. There’s great players in every round they’re just harder to find. For every Zetterburg and Datsyuk there’s a 100 guys you never heard of. Like you say “good scouting” is the key.

The Flyers made some big changes in their scouting department over the summer. Dave Brown is no longer the Director and they brought in Dany Heatley as a scout. There’s more but those are the 2 names I heard of. Hopefully the changes are enough because it will take excellent scouting to find that diamond in the rough D-man.

• Like 1