Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Danny is entering dangerous territory. Throwing away draft picks like they are suckers at the greeting bowl of a business. Its just not responsible. Quite possible Belpido is better than Johnson at this juncture of their careers. Just call up a Phantom! Johnson is WASHED!! I consider Southeran a respectable prospect and he was selected a round later than we gave up for Mr.Washed and the playoff run that may or may not happen. 

Did I mention Danny overpaying in term and salary to a 30 year old defensemen, THEN throwing in the Homer/Fletch no trade clause?? Bad flashbacks. 

Buddy, you okay?

Seeler's deal isn't even 3% of the salary cap. Zero trade protection after the second year.

Danny recouped the 5th round pick and used the 4th on an actual NHL defensmen who  can walk at the end of the season. Belpido isn't better, Andrae is too young Southeran hasn't sniffed a call up. There's starting to be fewer healthy defenseman than there are centermen in the system.

It's fine to not like the moves. 

I really don't understand where the hyperbole is coming from though.

The GM added a valuable asset for the future at this trade deadline.

Signed a coach's favorite to a modest contract with outs. He used a fourth pick to show his over-performing team he believes in them. 

His moves are far from clueless or wreckless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Buddy, you okay?

Seeler's deal isn't even 3% of the salary cap. Zero trade protection after the second year.

Danny recouped the 5th round pick and used the 4th on an actual NHL defensmen who  can walk at the end of the season. Belpido isn't better, Andrae is too young Southeran hasn't sniffed a call up. There's starting to be fewer healthy defenseman than there are centermen in the system.

It's fine to not like the moves. 

I really don't understand where the hyperbole is coming from though.

The GM added a valuable asset for the future at this trade deadline.

Signed a coach's favorite to a modest contract with outs. He used a fourth pick to show his over-performing team he believes in them. 

His moves are far from clueless or wreckless.

The problem here is careless treatment of assets. I want a GM who fights, scrapes, claws every last ounce out of every asset. Not giving them away as casual throw in or getting a 47 year old Dman who has been total crap for a decade for a playoff run that may never happen. Its poor asset management....pure and simple. 

Southeran can only be called up on emergency basis only. 

I still think Belpiodo is faster and a better option than Johnson. 

• Like 1

The only thing I hope coming from this deadline is that Gurianov and Johansen go to Lehigh Valley and help get Tuomaala back on track. Tuomaala needs to play with legit guys and those two should help him out of his funk.

As for the rest of the deals, I have no problem with the Walker trade, Seeler and Johnson were basically to appease the coach so that he doesn't have to play young players on defense down the stretch and I'm ****** glad they didn't make any deal for Chychrun. 

Still lots of work to do this off season though. Briere really needs to look at balancing out the wings and the team NEEDS a legit top center (I'm good with Frost bring the 2nd, Couturier being the 3rd and Poehling the 4th). 

Surprised they didn't try to acquire a goalie though. They're going to run Ersson hard down the stretch it seems. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The problem here is careless treatment of assets. I want a GM who fights, scrapes, claws every last ounce out of every asset. Not giving them away as casual throw in or getting a 47 year old Dman who has been total crap for a decade for a playoff run that may never happen. Its poor asset management....pure and simple. 

Southeran can only be called up on emergency basis only. 

I still think Belpiodo is faster and a better option than Johnson. 

I find it exactly the opposite.

Briere emerged here turning a 4th into a 1st and leveraging cap space to replace a 5th.

If they get ANYTHING (a laurel, and hearty handshake) for Johansen it (checks notes) saves Comcast money.

I do NOT see the issue here, beyond the fact that the draft pick they were already going to have wasn't going to be all that great.

I don't see how this deadline isn't an overall win for Briere and I don't particularly like the Seeler deal.

Leverage some of these 1sts to get into the top 10/5 and that's even better.

They have specific (1C/1D) holes to fill.

It's yet to be seen if Drysdale can shoulder the burden. :hyper:

It's a good group. They play for each other. They play the right way.

Yadda yadda.

Are they capable of winning 16 playoff games in one year? 🤔

:hocky:

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

the team constructed i think should be

with correct jersey #s now

86 Joel Farabee - 21 Scott Laughton - 71 Tyson Foerster

74 Owen Tippett - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
27 Noah Cates - 25 Ryan Poehling - 19 Garnet Hathaway
15 Denis Gurianov - 14 Sean Couturier - 10 Bobby Brink

8 Cam York - 6 Travis Sanheim
5 Egor Zamula - 77 Erik Johnson
18 Marc Staal - 23 Ronnie Attard

33 Samuel Ersson
32 Felix Sandström

20 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I know some will hate this move

Of course they will, it’s the Flyers. If they cloned Gretzky in his prime, and signed him for 1 million a year for 10 years, Flyer fan would argue the term was too long and the guy is too small

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A pretty good deadline. We traded little, and got back veteran leadership and some picks. I didn't really go in thinking we would make a blockbuster trade. Hopefully, Briere is able to clear out some cap room and sign a talented player or two, in the offseason. I'm a little disappointed we didn't pickup a backup goalie, but that's fine.

If this team wins one playoff round, they've had a hell of a year. The team isn't there yet. The fact that we're even talking about the playoffs, with this very young roster, is amazing IMO.

• Like 2

Even though I don’t know what it is, it seems to me that DB has a plan. None of the moves bringing in these older players seem permanent. They have a way out. And like I mentioned in another post, having 4 firsts in the next two drafts is a big win. I would consider 4 firsts more valuable than 6 or 8 middle to late rounders. 

since things are what they are for the remainder of the season, instead of worrying about the unknown future of this team, I’m going to enjoy the ride hoping they have a playoff run and give us something to cheer for

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

On 3/9/2024 at 11:07 AM, CoachX said:

I’m of the opinion that you can be in a rebuild, and also make the playoffs. This sport is not a vacuum. Just because your team is young and inexperienced, doesn’t mean you can’t exceed expectations. Just because you are a certain age, doesn’t mean you can’t play good hockey. DB came out and said he traded for EJ as a stabilizing presence for what is happening right now, this season. I’m not sure what the issue is here? Should they just pack it and not even try? Should they just tell all the current players, GFY, we don’t care how hard you’ve played, it’s doesn’t fit our plan, so we need to NOT make the playoffs in hopes that we draft some player(s) that will help us make the playoffs?

im sure that would go over well. the players would love it.

also, when GMs make trades, none of us have inside details on what took place. We can all sit here and argue what WE think should have happened, but that’s not how the real hockey world works

Yes Briere's trade for Johnson was probably out of need for an experienced defenseman since Seeler is out and Walker is gone. It would have been nice to pickup Raanta off waivers to have a more experienced goalie to help Ersson but so be it. I'd give Briere a grade of B for his first trade deadline, now let's see what he does with the draft picks this coming draft.

• Like 2