Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well, right now we're picking around 21st and 31st. Should be plenty of superstars left there. 🙄

You can find star players there, but it's unlikely. That, combined with 4 games of playoff experience should be enough to put this team over the top going forward. 😉

It's going to be ok because one time the Kings won a Cup as the 8th seed so all the Flyers have to do is keep winning.

It happened foe them it can happen for the Flyers right?

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's going to be ok because one time the Kings won a Cup as the 8th seed so all the Flyers have to do is keep winning.

It happened foe them it can happen for the Flyers right?

Flyers made the Finals after getting in on the last day of the season.

No, really, it happened once!

:hyper:

• Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

and losing in 6 in the Final - on a shot that gets stopped 99% of the time by 99% of NHL goalies - even after earning a place in history beating Boston - somehow it was fitting. Maybe the worst sting Flyers' fans ever had - right up there with Stickle.

A "wing and a prayer" can take a team far but I guess not all the way. The Kings had Quick - which obviously made all the difference.

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Seeler is way more valuable than a 3rd. I think Seeler-Zamula might make a nice pairing should Walker get the boot (90% chance). Im thinking a 2 year deal for 2 mill a year would work for both parties. No long term investment and you know exactly what your 2 mill is buying. 

Exactly - Seeler is obviously not a long-term answer but 2 more years at a low cap hit while the younger D-men learn the game, he'd be great to have around. If when the Lehigh guys demand NHL ice time he can alternate as a 7th.

And if he's traded that's okay too but not for a measly 3Rer. The way he plays night in night out is what coaches want (and expect) from every skater in the POs. Not necessarily blocking shots the way Seeler does but fearless - a "whatever it takes" mentality. Seeler's got that in spades.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, radoran said:

14 year anniversary coming better get the steamers, cake and balloons ready to celebrate!!!

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

and losing in 6 in the Final - on a shot that gets stopped 99% of the time by 99% of NHL goalies - even after earning a place in history beating Boston - somehow it was fitting. Maybe the worst sting Flyers' fans ever had - right up there with Stickle.

A "wing and a prayer" can take a team far but I guess not all the way. The Kings had Quick - which obviously made all the difference.

We lost to a team that may have had the 2nd worst goalie in Stanley Cup final history. 

Guess who was worse....

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

It was Giroux scoring on the last penalty shot against the Yotes after OT solved nothing. I know cause directly after that I checked my boxes for the playoff pool. I selected all Flyers and Habs in the East and all Sharks and Hawks in the West. Of course, those were the 4 Conference final participants...I swept that thing and won a cool 1500.00

Especially ballsey picking Philly and Montreal, ranked last and 2nd last!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

It was Giroux scoring on the last penalty shot against the Yotes after OT solved nothing. I know cause directly after that I checked my boxes for the playoff pool. I selected all Flyers and Habs in the East and all Sharks and Hawks in the West. Of course, those were the 4 Conference final participants...I swept that thing and won a cool 1500.00

Especially ballsey picking Philly and Montreal, ranked last and 2nd last!

I think by "Yotes" you mean Rangers.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:53 AM, flyercanuck said:

The Flyers are in year 48 of trying to build a winner. I think it's about time they tried it without the just make the playoffs and anything can happen formula.

Having a crapload of draft picks give us a better chance of landing a gem after the 1st round.

There is also the Torts factor, this team is nowhere near as talented as their record shows. Eventually they will take a huge step back to their true talent level. I'm hoping right after we unload Laughton and Walker.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:08 PM, mojo1917 said:

I think we haven't seen competent management since Homer's bike accident and none of us remember what it looks like. I think knowing what it will take to resign a guy in case another guy can be traded is good preparation.

This is a real thing... After years of managerial incompetence, a sort of PTSD can be bred in the fans, who have come to expect the worst. In this case, any move the club makes is seen as bad, and a certain amount of that is fair. I think the team took unnecessary risk in deciding to rebuild and then hiring rookies for both GM and President of Hockey Ops, particularly in the case of Keith Jones, who's spent the last 20+ years working as a broadcaster.

What's done is done, though, and I think it's only fair to wait until clear mistakes are made or moves which are really off the beaten path occur, and I haven't seen that yet.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think the team took unnecessary risk in deciding to rebuild

they were at the TINA point imho. Fletcher had not only failed to improve the team he made it so the next GM would spend most of his time cleaning up the mess, i.e. the bad contracts to bad players and worse the effect those players had on the team. But Fletcher was only symptomatic of the underlying problem that started decades ago. Hextall’s 4+ years were an all too brief respite and after they fired him it was right back to the failed “just make the POs” crap. The Flyers needed to rebuild but apparently the managers at the time were dead set against it.

re: rookie management of course you’re right it was risky. But apparently Jones had been approached before to take the position - he didn’t say when - so for the Flyers’ brass hiring him wasn’t out of the blue (even if it was to the rest of us). As for Briere best I can tell he was being groomed all along to eventually be GM. And so far so good. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The weakest Cup winning goal in NHL history. I was at the game, nobody knew the puck went in but Kane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

The weakest Cup winning goal in NHL history. I was at the game, nobody knew the puck went in but Kane.

Agreed! Watching on TV...I didn't know Kane scored till he was throwing his gloves at Center Ice!! 

• Uggh... 2

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

they were at the TINA point imho. Fletcher had not only failed to improve the team he made it so the next GM would spend most of his time cleaning up the mess, i.e. the bad contracts to bad players and worse the effect those players had on the team. But Fletcher was only symptomatic of the underlying problem that started decades ago. Hextall’s 4+ years were an all too brief respite and after they fired him it was right back to the failed “just make the POs” crap. The Flyers needed to rebuild but apparently the managers at the time were dead set against it.

re: rookie management of course you’re right it was risky. But apparently Jones had been approached before to take the position - he didn’t say when - so for the Flyers’ brass hiring him wasn’t out of the blue (even if it was to the rest of us). As for Briere best I can tell he was being groomed all along to eventually be GM. And so far so good. 

Oh, I'm not criticizing them for deciding on a rebuild; it's the rookie GM and POHO part with which I take issue.

The Oilers and Sabres each spent a decade wandering in the wilderness, bringing in one rookie after another and test-fitting men into hockey ops roles when they had nothing on their resumes which indicated that career path. Losing teams have a bad habit of drafting rookies and plugging them into key roles when they're not ready to do it, with predictable results, and doing with management isn't a move you generally see from the best front offices.

That's not me saying that it won't work out, but that I don't think it was the absolute smartest bet that the Flyers could have made.

---edit---

I like Keith Jones, by the way, and hope he does well. My guess is that when he cuts himself shaving, he bleeds orange and black.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

has to be…

nothing “fitting” about losing on a shot like that. That was just dumb luck for Kane and weak goaltending by Leighton. 

Took another look - it’s even worse than I remember. The puck went through Leighton and hit the far side twine. 

• Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Oh, I'm not criticizing them for deciding on a rebuild; it's the rookie GM and POHO part with which I take issue.

I had a feeling I might’ve misread that or took it further than you meant.

I think “so far so good” is all we can say about Hilferty, Jones and Briere. Maybe they haven’t yet had to do more than was obvious - trade DeAngelo, Hayes, let JVR go, sign a serviceable D-man or 2 - and hope Couturier can still play NHL hockey. The Michkov pick was ballsy but other than that - as @flyercanuck noted - there’s really nothing to rave about. But whereas some view that as a failure (or a failure in progress) I think it only means they understood the priorities and they’re not afraid of taking risks. 

19 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That's not me saying that it won't work out, but that I don't think it was the absolute smartest bet that the Flyers could have made.

Fair enough. Flyers’ management avoided some potentially crippling mistakes last summer when rumors were flying about Austin Matthews and Johnny Gaudreau. And AFAIK they weren’t anywhere near the Monahan or Lindholm deals.  Still I can’t deny there were more experienced and likely better choices for Prez and GM. All I can say as a lifelong Flyers’ fan is Jones/Briere “feels” right. That and a couple bucks will buy you a ride on the IRT (!) but it’s all I got for now. Should be some “interesting” discussions after the TD…

• Like 2

Well, now it's been reported that four teams are looking at trying to deal for Walker AND Seeler. Carolina, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Tampa Bay have made calls. The two combined are just over $3 million. That should be enough to get some great returns.

I still think Winnipeg is the best option, especially with the depth of prospects they have. If somehow the Flyers could convince Tampa Bay to give up Isaac Howard in any trade, that would be a great starting point. Not sure what Carolina or Minnesota could offer though....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Flyers’ management avoided some potentially crippling mistakes last summer when rumors were flying about Austin Matthews and Johnny Gaudreau.

Gaudreau was an obvious problem waiting to happen.

And, again, I'm not upset that Matthews isn't here (we simply CAN'T trade Hart!!!) But what is it about 52 goals in 56 games that speaks "problem" to you?

:hocky:

Edited by radoran

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

Gaudreau was an obvious problem waiting to happen.

And, again, I'm not upset that Matthews isn't here (we simply CAN'T trade Hart!!!) But what is it about 52 goals in 56 games that speaks "problem" to you?

:hocky:

Well, if you prorate, the problems become oblivious..