Game 69: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/19/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

I didn't jinx them by watching.  But after seeing the highlights, it looks like we took the war to the Leafs.  Good win.  When Tippett is on his game, he makes a big difference. Scoring 15 seconds into the game sends an important signal. 

11 hours ago, Samifan said:

The way the Leafs had the Flyers pinned in their own zone during long stretches, I almost broke out the Yackity Sax music 😂

Was waiting for Sabre Dance myself…..🫣

14 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

edit: Maybe benching Couturier is a way sending the strongest message possible to the entire room. When the coach benches the captain things are obviously not going well. Lot of goals given up too few scored and Couturier's been as "meh" as anyone. Next one is Konecny he looks like a shell of himself lately.

Benching Couturier (or TK) says it loud and clear: nobody is "safe." That's all I got

I think this is it. 

There were going to be inevitable dips in Sean's play based on the reasons we've covered. 

Perhaps benching the captain tells the young guys, you need to step up.

Last night's result was the young guys did. Frost, Tippett, York, all had really good games.

I thought Brink and Foerster were noticeable too, mostly in good ways. 

I do wonder if Bob is too small for the NHL, he was around the play but not able to make them. He got bullied quite a bit by a soft bunch. That's not good-  he needs to get stronger somewhere/how so he can execute the plays he sees developing.

Ersson was fine, everyone is talking about all the posts the Leaves hit, well, that's all that was available to them on 3 of the ringers. 

It's not like Ersson was **** and the Leaves missed wide open nets. 

Short term, the scratch will piss Couturier off, maybe he plays better, and maybe it was the hand grenade the room needed to wake up and get all 23 guys rolling. 

I'm not sure of the long-term ramifications though, seems like an easy first step to losing the room he's so proud of .

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

This falls 100% on Tortorella for not managing Couturier's ice time. Tortorella played him hard from the get go in order to try to 'win' and secure a playoff spot. The house of cards is beginning to fall apart. Tortorella needs to own this one. I'm wondering if Couturier asks to be moved after the season is over.......

Since he's one of my favorite players I hope not. 

I remember a lot of questions in the scrums in the early part of the season where the coach was asked if there were any restrictions on Couturier, and he said no. I assumed that to mean he was told "by all them doctors", the player was good to go.

He was going to play him the way his play dictates.

For most of the year that was as a top 6 centerman. 

Most reasonable people would try not to run the guy with the bad back into a nub. 

I can see why he scratched him, I can see that it worked in the short term, I still don't like it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, radoran said:

This is Torts' game, as you point out. I'm not "concerned" any more than I have been when the Flyers have run other players - willingly - into the ground.

I don't think I understand this POV. How do you "run" a player into the ground? Do you make them play more games than other players in the league? Do you make them skate more shifts? Has any Flyer come out and said they need a rest because they are playing too much? Do other teams do this, or is it just the Flyers? Im pretty sure most players only sit out games due to injury where the CAN'T play

:IDunnoSmiley:

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not sure of the long-term ramifications though, seems like an easy first step to losing the room he's so proud of .

could be...benching your captain is such a momentous decision it's bound to have unintended consequences. The good news is all the evidence suggests the entire organization is proud of "the room" this year. I expect the players will do whatever it takes to keep it intact, just as I expect Couturier's disappointment, anger etc. will quietly fade away and he'll be back in the lineup tomorrow night.

TK on the other hand...I smell it coming...healthy scratch. How will he handle it? Hopefully we don't find out but he hasn't scored in a month. He needs some goals ASAP.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

GJEtJzTXIAApTA6.jpg.f7de2cbf1a4f2be802f2d424a58ef1c1.jpg

Laughton coming for the C!!!!!

🤢🤮

However, since the Flyers have a history of ruining captains and running them out of town.....:IDunnoSmiley:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I don't think I understand this POV. How do you "run" a player into the ground? Do you make them play more games than other players in the league? Do you make them skate more shifts? Has any Flyer come out and said they need a rest because they are playing too much? Do other teams do this, or is it just the Flyers? Im pretty sure most players only sit out games due to injury where the CAN'T play

:IDunnoSmiley:

the only one I remember is Bobrovsky and that was all Laviolette FWIU. Played him past his waiver-exemption and in the process overworked him into some bad starts in the POs that year. But he's the only one I recall. I'm not sure who @radoran is referring to on April 13th - Simmonds complained about too much ice time? Can't be...has to be someone else...

@radoran YOU ARE HEREBY CALLED TO ANSWER THE CHARGE OF WILLFULLY ... oh well could've been funny but I cramped up. Anyway who are the Flyers honoring on April 13th and what's his story?

Edited by GratefulFlyers

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@CoachX Scotty's biggest fan!!!

GJEtJzTXIAApTA6.jpg.f7de2cbf1a4f2be802f2d424a58ef1c1.jpg.6a4ab84ee20f44de77de8ec0ff94ac98.jpg

Hell yeah! He's on a torrid pace. At this rate he may very well score his 12th goal by the end of the season. He could also finally achieve the 100 goal mark for his career. After 11 hard seasons, he's earned it.

Sky is the limit! :goodjob:

• Haha 1

@GratefulFlyers

@CoachX

No, it's not that Sean will play 86 games compared to everyone else's 82...c'mon.

Couturier has played through terrible knee injuries, concussions, now the back surgeries, I know it is the players choice to make themselves available, but somewhere there needs to be an adult in the room that says, hey bud you probably ought not play on that knee with the torn mcl. Those injuries wear a player down, making them less effective, Couturier was dinged up in January and somehow managed to play through whatever it was, did it heal? maybe . We'll find out in April I reckon.

Wayne Simmonds played through some ridiculous injuries so the team could make the playoffs or have a run at the playoffs. He had severe shoulder and knee injuries. 

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@GratefulFlyers

@CoachX

No, it's not that Sean will play 86 games compared to everyone else's 82...c'mon.

Couturier has played through terrible knee injuries, concussions, now the back surgeries, I know it is the players choice to make themselves available, but somewhere there needs to be an adult in the room that says, hey bud you probably ought not play on that knee with the torn mcl. Those injuries wear a player down, making them less effective, Couturier was dinged up in January and somehow managed to play through whatever it was, did it heal? maybe . We'll find out in April I reckon.

Wayne Simmonds played through some ridiculous injuries so the team could make the playoffs or have a run at the playoffs. He had severe shoulder and knee injuries. 

Sounds like BS to me. If you are injured and play anyway, thats on you. Blaming the franchise after the fact for your choices you make, is a cop out. In the litigious society we live in, there would be a slew of lawsuits if a player was "forced" to play by the franchise

• Thanks 1

@mojo1917 I think we know all that. But I see a player choosing to play; I don't see "mismanagement." Of course there's pressure to play. No doubt Couturier felt it just as Simmonds did in his day. But that's pro sports my friend...

Maybe Tortorella did cut Couturier's ice time solely because of the injury. And? Is that something "less than" - something "other than" managing one of your players?

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

but somewhere there needs to be an adult in the room that says, hey bud you probably ought not play on that knee with the torn mcl.

Professionals right? Ultimately each one is his own "adult in the room." Once the medical staff clears him for contact it's still up to him to announce he's ready to go. I don't pretend to know how it works on every team in the NHL but I do know the player makes the final call on his readiness.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Someone don't like it...

Look for all we know, Coots needed a day of rest and he and Torts decided to handle it this way together. A good Capn would fall on the sword

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Look for all we know, Coots needed a day of rest and he and Torts decided to handle it this way together. A good Capn would fall on the sword

This doesn't sound like they agreed upon this...

"I've been putting the work in for a while," said Couturier, who has 11 goals and 36 points this season. "I've been struggling, but I've been working on my game, and it's frustrating the way I've been treated around here lately. But it is what it is.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This doesn't sound like they agreed upon this...

"I've been putting the work in for a while," said Couturier, who has 11 goals and 36 points this season. "I've been struggling, but I've been working on my game, and it's frustrating the way I've been treated around here lately. But it is what it is.

Nope. It defintely doesnt. I think Im over Coots. Time to move on

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Sounds like BS to me. If you are injured and play anyway, thats on you. Blaming the franchise after the fact for your choices you make, is a cop out. In the litigious society we live in, there would be a slew of lawsuits if a player was "forced" to play by the franchise

It's an interesting part of the hockey culture. 

Guys pride themselves on being tough, I admire it.

Taking 95mph clapper on the knee and only missing a shift, that's gladiator stuff. 

Is 80% Couturier better than 100% someone else?

I don't know. Doesn't seem like it anymore.

The team made a substantial investment in the player, I would think someone somewhere in the chain of command would say, how's about we work some maintenance days into the schedule for #14. It's a long season and the Tortorella style of play is grueling. Let's try not to use him up by December- but maybe that's crazy talk. 

I would think the organization would want the most effective version of the player for the bulk of the contract. Investing in the players health isn't some kind of wacky voodoo idea. It's good business.

The handling of the player's health smacks of @flyercanuck 's new boss same as the old boss trope far more than the moves at the trade deadline.

You're welcome to your opinion, it's not like you're saying the sky is green. 

I think this was handled poorly, and will continue to think this, until the coach speaks on it. 

The fact he repeatedly ducked the question isn't helping me to think better of decision.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The fact he repeatedly ducked the question isn't helping me to think better of decision.

My main problem.

If he makes these calls then stand on business.

Otherwise it's chickeshit to not own the call and state why?

Was it rest or performance related?

Have the balls to say it you can't claim the team has balls when the coach don't have any.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Nope. It defintely doesnt. I think Im over Coots. Time to move on

Pretty sure Chuck Fletcher made Couturier, or at least his contract, worthless to other teams. Unless of course we're including assets.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Good Post 1

Arizona has some nice retirement homes he was born and raised there for a short bit.

Might be Danny's only choice the way this has been handled.