Game 77: Philadelphia Flyers at Buffalo Sabres; 4/5/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Buffalo is favored (-135), and has taken seven of the last ten from us:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-buffalo-odds-april-5-2024-2020729

We've split the first two games this year, with 5-1 and 5-2 scores.  There isn't much difference statistically--neither team is good on the PP or faceoffs:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/buf-vs-phi/2024/04/05/2023021211

This is the start of an important weekend for the franchise.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

It would not break my heart to see Fedotov do to the Sabres what Hasek did to the Flyers for years……

I wish nothing but bad luck on the Sabres organization.  I was living there when Pegula took over and the fans thought all that money would lead to cup after cup.  That was so ironic since they kind of relished being the small market hard working team image and hated the Flyers for, among other things, being rich and big market.

I tried to tell them money didn’t win us any cups.  Now they are bearing that out.  I’m thrilled the Canes and Sens beat them in 2006 and 2007 and they really haven’t been competive since and I hope the Flyers crush them tonight.

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

The Flyers need points tonight - both of them. I hope Tortorella goes with Fedotov but maybe 3+ days of rest helped Ersson enough...I sort of doubt it though. Anyway should be an intense game IF the Flyers play with intensity...that's what I'm looking for most, win lose or gimmicky OT...

Some of the old farts will remember when we got knocked out of playoff contention by them in 71-72.  Meehan scored with a minute and change left to break a tie.  It was painful.  

https://www.gerrymeehan.com/2012/01/historic-goal-that-made-meehan-flyer_02.html#/page/1

For that reason alone, I hope we kick their ass.  That aside, they are a bit of an underachiever this year.  I thought Granato has done a good job, and they have gotten some good young players.  They play in a tough division.  I've always liked their uniforms.  

Well, Sir Coots is out.  So:

1) Who takes his place?

2) Sadly, does it really matter given his current level of play?

Michkov, if and when he shows, will be critical.  Meanwhile, is there a true number 1 or number 2 center on this squad?  Maybe Frost?  Cates.....don't think so.  Sad. 

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Well, Sir Coots is out.  So:

1) Who takes his place?

2) Sadly, does it really matter given his current level of play?

Michkov, if and when he shows, will be critical.  Meanwhile, is there a true number 1 or number 2 center on this squad?  Maybe Frost?  Cates.....don't think so.  Sad. 

Frost Laughton Poehling Cates at center.

Good to see Ersson get some rest tonight.

:flyer:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good to see Ersson get some rest tonight.

definitely. so I guess he goes tomorrow night - hopefully he recharged his battery in the meantime.

25 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Meanwhile, is there a true number 1 or number 2 center on this squad? 

No #1 and a maybe #2 - Frost but I dunno. Barely 50 points again this year (tho he was scratched 6 or 7 games). Since Jan 1 besides TK he's racked up the most points (30pts, 39 games) and he's playing well w/out the puck. But the top 6 has to carry the offense and a 50pt center...I dunno.

Maybe he cracks it open next year...I hope so because there's a lot to like about his game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Frost Laughton Poehling Cates at center.

That isn't an awe-inspiring foursome.  Unless we are heavy on the forecheck and keep it low-scoring, things could get rough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frost, for me, has proven he has what it takes to be a true 2C in the NHL. Just hope Flyers don't go and do something stupid and trade the guy right on the cusp of breaking through.

5 minutes ago, ctid said:

Frost, for me, has proven he has what it takes to be a true 2C in the NHL. Just hope Flyers don't go and do something stupid and trade the guy right on the cusp of breaking through.

Dear CTID,

Earlier today I had an appointment with one of the Florida Panthers' orthopedists.  Whose autographed uniform was on the examination room wall?  Sergei Bobrovsky.  A few weeks back we lost to the Panthers with their backup....Anthony Stolarz.  You have hit on of the sore points of the Flyers over the last decade.  Maybe they have learned some lessons about patience.  But I am not holding my breath.  

2 hours ago, ctid said:

Frost, for me, has proven he has what it takes to be a true 2C in the NHL

2 hours ago, ctid said:

right on the cusp of breaking through.

He's a proven 2C and he's on the cusp of breaking through? Interesting. I tend to think it's one or the other but whatever.

Frost turns 25 next month, played 223 NHL games and averages .49p/g. What would a breakout season for him look like?

Flyers..wow all the missed shots. Grade A chances all for nothing - missed shots instead of goalie saves. But Luukonen has been good when he needed to be.

Frost watches Thompson skate right by him, nice clear lane for TT and he makes Fedotov look silly. If the Flyers keep playing like that they don't deserve a PO spot.

edit: another dud PP what else is new...

edit2: wow Luukkonen was killing it! Somehow Cates blows it right thru him... unreal.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Stick a fork in this team, they are done. Fedotov looking very uncomfortable out there. 

just finish out the season with the obligatory 10 game losing streak……

F**K

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Fedotov seems to have trouble with the shots from straight up the gut.

Seems weird beating a 6’7” goalie up high over his blocker on two goals 

5 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Seems weird beating a 6’7” goalie up high over his blocker on two goals 

Isn’t that just the Flyers luck? Curse of Pelle lives on.

• Sad 1

Don't worry too much. caps up on the hurricanes, detroit tied with the rangers--meanwhile we can't beat 3 bottom tier teams and are about to be 0 in our last 6 games.