Coyotes on the move?

JR Ewing

15 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Hmm, that's quite the incentive - though from what I gather the arena that's already there is a bit crap anyway

FB_IMG_1713057463828.jpg

So the way I’m reading this is that if the Coyote’s build an arena, they get to come back as an expansion team?
First off, the Coyotes can barely make enough to get to the NHL salary floor. Where are they going to get money to build an arena?
Secondly, how many frickin teams does Bettman think the NHL needs?

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

So the way I’m reading this is that if the Coyote’s build an arena, they get to come back as an expansion team?
First off, the Coyotes can barely make enough to get to the NHL salary floor. Where are they going to get money to build an arena?
Secondly, how many frickin teams does Bettman think the NHL needs?

They always gotta increase it by increments of 4 to make each division even in teams...so if Zona ever gets another team that means they'll be 3 more expansions cities too...

I remember back at the time about how proud the NHL was about finally finding the first ever hispanic owner of a franchise and how they were thrilled to give the chance on someone coming from a minority and why this was so hot and will give a magnificient example and stuff... Yeop, that same owner who has been kicked out of his arena because he didn't pay the rent, the guy who failed to win his referendum that would have secured the fate of the team in Arizona, the same dude who threw some other bling-bling arena project and again, the same guy who didn't pay the hotel bills, apparently.

There's no smoke without fire, the NHL screwed up on another field here. We don't chose the best candidate because of his origin or his skin and eyes colors. Usually the best one should be chosen because he's the most competent for the position. Period. And Bettman is completely responsible for this fiasco. And now that owner would eventually get another shot on an expansion franchise there?!? I think the story is not over, and it will never be... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thegx.ca said:

This mayor really wants to take all tbs credit for running the NHL outta town for some reason🤣

Seems like the politically smart thing to do. After the vote, it was clear a lot of people are actively uninterested in having a local team so appealing to them would be an overall gain

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Seems like the politically smart thing to do. After the vote, it was clear a lot of people are actively uninterested in having a local team so appealing to them would be an overall gain

Actively uninterested in PAYING to have a local team - and who can blame them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Names thrown out by Salt Lake Tribune columnist Gordon Monson:

Stallions

Pioneers

Miners

Rattlers

Scorpions

Blizzard

Stingers

Diamonds

Bighorn

Condors

They all sound like minor league team names.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

my favorite

Pre game song: Winds of Change (lol)

Goal song rotated from Big City Nights and Still Loving You...very cool!

• Haha 1

My team name suggestions in order of preference would be:

1. Salt Lake City Utahraptors
  2. Salt Lake Utahraptors
  3. Utah Raptors

Utahraptor is a genus of dromaeosaurid dinosaur discovered in Utah. It's something unique to the state of Utah, it offers the opportunity to sneak in both the name of the city and the state in the team name, and they are obviously cool looking creatures that should be easily marketable in various forms.

12 minutes ago, Sigsten said:

My team name suggestions in order of preference would be:

1. Salt Lake City Utahraptors
  2. Salt Lake Utahraptors
  3. Utah Raptors

Utahraptor is a genus of dromaeosaurid dinosaur discovered in Utah. It's something unique to the state of Utah, it offers the opportunity to sneak in both the name of the city and the state in the team name, and they are obviously cool looking creatures that should be easily marketable in various forms.

Welcome to the boards.

Very nice insight on the dinosaur thing, but Utahraptors seems a bit unwieldy. Doesn't exactly roll off, ya know?
Now...Utah Raptors or even Salt Lake Raptors sounds MUCH better!

Although, I thought I read somewhere the hockey team was supposed to be going for a whole state name and not just the one city, so any name would have to begin with Utah?
Maybe.

Utah Ice Jazz? Hahaha.....small NBA joke...VERY small... :shifty: 

39 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Well since the prospective owner of the Coyotes owns a basketball team that makes no sense (Utah Jazz) why not the Utah Vikings?

The Utah Dolphins would get my vote.

More seriously, I'm high on Utah Jizz.

2 minutes ago, Math said:

The Utah Dolphins would get my vote.

More seriously, I'm high on Utah Jizz.

Some have suggested just leaving the Coyotes name, due to Utah being a habitat for actual yotes.
But, I also thought I read that whomever is selling the team is KEEPING the Coyotes name, so maybe that really isn't an option.

Utah WinniJets? LOL...