Flyers Playoff possibility

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish i could deny this but all the evidence suggest you're right and that is one of their biggest downfalls...

:BrownBag:

I wish I didn't have to say it!   LOL

But that's what I honestly see them doing.

And that’s a wrap…. With the Pens / Caps / and Red Wings all winning tonight… this pretty much assures the Flyers of not making the postseason.

• Uggh... 3

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

That's because the Flyers care more about selling tickets than winning the Cup.  Plus, they've never made the adjustment when the league went to Revenue Sharing & the Salary Cup.  That along with their persistent "win now" attitude keeps them as mediocre.

Exactly. They never even tanked right before the Lindros Era. They were just a bad team, that were fortunate enough to be able to make a huge enough trade, to get him.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

With the Pens / Caps / and Red Wings all winning tonight… this pretty much assures the Flyers of not making the postseason.

Flyers defeat Washington in regulation (Tues) 

Canadiens defeat Detroit in regulation (Tues)

Islanders defeat Pittsburgh in regulation (Wed)

…then Flyers are IN

[Cue Beatles “Help!”]

NOTE:  In this scenario, Flyers and Capitals would be equal in the first 3 tiebreakers!  (Both 31 Regulation wins, both 35 wins excluding shootouts, both 39 total wins.). 4th tiebreaker would be Flyers earning 4 pts (to the Caps 3 pts) in the three games played between the two this season.  Amazing that Philly still has this shot to advance.

• Uggh... 1

26 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They were just a bad team

They never had to tank. They had more money than most.

They've never adapted to the league they insisted upon creating.

They keep giving out four year deals to players like Seeler and Deslauriers - at double previous rates - and committing themselves to Laughton and Sanheim - to remain a middling bubble playoff team.

Only this year, again, they're going in the right direction.

No, really.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

3 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

…then Flyers are IN

image.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

…then Flyers are IN

[Cue Beatles “Help!”]

NOTE:  In this scenario, Flyers and Capitals would be equal in the first 3 tiebreakers!  (Both 31 Regulation wins, both 35 wins excluding shootouts, both 39 total wins.). 4th tiebreaker would be Flyers earning 4 pts (to the Caps 3 pts) in the three games played between the two this season.  Amazing that Philly still has this shot to advance.

The bold part is not correct.  Game one vs the Caps, (OT win for the Flyers), would get thrown out so they would be tied in this category, too.

5. The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.
           For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the 'odd game') shall not be included.

On to the 6th tiebreaker which the Flyers would win.  Flyers are -25, Caps are -38.

6. The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.

10 hours ago, radoran said:

They keep giving out four year deals to players like Seeler and Deslauriers - at double previous rates - and committing themselves to Laughton and Sanheim - to remain a middling bubble playoff team.

No, really.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This a very true statement.   Especially the revenue sharing.  Their failure to adapt has led to them becoming a mediocre team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The bold part is not correct.  Game one vs the Caps, (OT win for the Flyers), would get thrown out so they would be tied in this category, too.

5. The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.
           For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the 'odd game') shall not be included.

On to the 6th tiebreaker which the Flyers would win.  Flyers are -25, Caps are -38.

I stand corrected.  You are right, only each club winning one game (each) would apply for that tiebreaker.

Perhaps it will be more amazing for the Caps to advance than for Philly.  Their -38 is far worse than Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Buffalo, and worse than Ottawa’s or New Jersey’s.  Lots of bad blowout losses to go with close wins.  But a WSH win tonight gets them in.

Still, a Philly regulation win tonight is more likely to spoil the Capitals’ efforts and earn a spot for the Wings or Pens, but we’ll all know soon.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The 12th pick could be a pretty decent player.

Maybe you should be thanking Briere for bringing in a washed up 35 year old to tank the season with a -10 in 16 stretch games?

Savvy mover, that one.

:hocky::5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, radoran said:

No, really.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

i completely agree with this. and it does irritate me

I will hold out though til next season. Let's see what the rest of the off season will bring

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i completely agree with this. and it does irritate me

I will hold out though til next season. Let's see what the rest of the off season will bring

I've been entertained. I'm not saying this hasn't been "fun to watch." I've been to games.

"Entertaining" and "fun to watch" don't necessarily equal "rebuilding a Cup winner".

We're going on 50 years here...

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

Maybe you should be thanking Briere for bringing in a washed up 35 year old to tank the season with a -10 in 16 stretch games?

Savvy mover, that one.

:hocky::5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

It's the Flyer way...when they try to tank they play great, when they go for it they suck.

The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971) - IMDb

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

The 12th pick could be a pretty decent player.

Certainly better than the 16th and I didn't even have to to take off my shoes to count that high....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Agreed this seems right.

If not someone correct me.

Celebrini

Demidov

Levshunov

Lindstrom

Eiserman

Buium

Catton

Parekh

Dickinson

Iginla

Yakemchuk

Silayev

Helenius

I don't see Catton, Parekh or Dickinson going after Eisserman...but then again Phoenix, Columbus, Montreal and Ottawa all draft around there. 

Never thought I'd say this, but Go Caps!

• Haha 1