EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (A3) Toronto Maple Leafs at (A2) Boston Bruins (BOS Wins 4-3)

Maples Leafs at Bruins  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Toronto Resumes Being a Punchline? Bruins Fail Again? Which is it?

• Maple Leafs in 4.... TOR isn't messing around. NEEEEEEXT!
    • Maple Leafs in 5... BOS steals a game, but TOR proves to be too much especially with goal scoring
    • Maple Leafs in 6... Bruins make things interesting, but not interesting enough, as TOR takes it skating away
    • Maple Leafs in 7... Some Leaf fans scream sky is falling, but then say, "I knew it all along" as TOR goes the distance...and wins!
    • Bruins in 4.... LOL Leafs......
    • Bruins in 5.... Still.... LOL Leafs.....
    • Bruins in 6.... Hold on now! Leafs showing life, but....errr, nah....LOL
    • Bruins in 7.... Best showing in many years for Toronto...never mind that they STILL lose (LOL!!). The Bruins quest for Cup glory moves on!

11 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

-Auston Matthews is 56th in playoff scoring with 1 goal and 2 assists in 4 games. Listening to eastern media talk about him as though he's in the conversation for being the best player in the game is an insult to everybody who watches hockey.

-Seeing the Sportsnet panel talk about how the Leafs are playing so bad and how Marner needs to stop whining... Oof.

-As a fan of a team in this country that, like all non-TO teams, gets a fraction of the coverage of those guys... The cherry on the top so far: Kevin Bieksa saying how the Leafs stars like Marner, need to be more mature, like Draisaitl.

-The Leafs don't have a single pisscutter at the top of the batting order. Management can bring in guys like Ryan Reaves until they're blue in the face, but guys who only play 8 minutes a night won't get you there.

-I'd say that management needs to change the mix, but they all have no-movement clauses, so they've hamstrung themselves.

Because I am in that kind of mood today:

-- Yea, yea...BUT, if we PRORATE Matthews' numbers over the course of 112 games, we will see he is on pace with some of the greatest in the game!

--Marner DOES need to stop whining...'bro'..... He should be more passive aggressive...like, "If we were the Oilers, we wouldn't be in this mess...plus we'd have McDavid"

--Kevin Bieksa  needs to stop picking on Marner. Auston Matthews, and Johnny Pajamas for that matter, should be the poke fun rods on this team.....
Now....let's see how Matthews' negativity prorates....

---Well, then, the answer is simple: Reaves needs to play at LEAST 16-17 minutes a game to get the full benefit of his 'fists on skates' mentality!
Elementary, my dear JR....

---The one point you and I can see eye to eye on.
Oh wait....management CAN change the mix:  If they just use nutmeg instead. I mean....the end product would be JUST as soft n fluffy..... :ph34r:

• Haha 3

On 4/25/2024 at 10:50 PM, JR Ewing said:

Most people can't afford to sign their kid up for hockey anymore, let alone attend a hockey game. If you have a son talented enough to play AAA hockey in Toronto, you're looking at $25,000. That's just to register. You haven't paid for equipment, camps, travel, etc, etc, etc. The average cost per year, all-in, is about $45,000 for a kid to play in that league.

That was the ironic part about that twitter idiot who said that Zach Hyman only scored 50 goals because his father is rich. Yes, Hyman's father is wealthy, but pretty much everybody in the NHL grew up privileged. Where the NHL was once a league of sons of farmers and tradesmen, it's now a league of young men who's fathers are real estate tycoons or investment bankers.

Hockey is well on its way to becoming a sport like tennis or motor sports.

I can go watch an entire season of junior hockey, or go watch the Leafs for one game for the same price. No brainer on that one. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I really don't understand how the Leafs can be down 2-1 in this series and now down 2-0 in this game.

I mean....they have Ryan Freakin Reaves!
ALL season long, hell, PRE SEASON....kept hearing about the difference maker Reaves.
He was constantly being quoted and given airtime...

Always had all the 'right' things to say.

Why isn't he putting the team on his back while he smacks Bruins players left n right all over the arena?
Eh? EHHH?? :ph34r: 

I can't figure it out either...we've got Nic DesLauriers on a long term contract and he STILL hasn't led us to the promised land. 😇

• Haha 1

@OccamsRazor
@Brewin Flames

Boy...that is some SERIOUS cockle warming there.
Someone should ask Rosehill how he REALLY feels. :ph34r:

Personally, I've always felt Mitch Marner was more of a key ingredient in Toronto's success than Matthews is (i.e. if one had to go, trade Matthews keep Marner, as Marner is supposed to playmake to the point where he can elevate other centers).....however, I can't say that I've paid as close attention to Marner this series to see if Rosehill has a point or not.

Rosehill himself was a genuine blue collar guy, so I can understand when he sees (or doesn't see) good work ethic....but by the same token, he was also a marginal NHL'er with probably a fraction of the overall skill set a guy like Marner has.

At any rate, Toronto really doesn't look like they have the right recipe on that team, despite the talent.
And if there is some squabbling behind the scenes between certain players, well then, I expect we may see some big movements in the offseason or the one after.
Particularly if Boston goes on to squash the Maple Leaf like dried plant life on the drive way...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@OccamsRazor
@Brewin Flames
At any rate, Toronto really doesn't look like they have the right recipe on that team, despite the talent.
And if there is some squabbling behind the scenes between certain players, well then, I expect we may see some big movements in the offseason or the one after.
Particularly if Boston goes on to squash the Maple Leaf like dried plant life on the drive way...

I think they need to change pieces of that core, but it will be difficult. They're all very expensive, signed to long-term deals with no-movement clauses, and the only teams that could afford to take their salary will be weak, and the players almost surely wouldn't waive to go there.

The Leafs are quite stuck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think they need to change pieces of that core, but it will be difficult. They're all very expensive, signed to long-term deals with no-movement clauses, and the only teams that could afford to take their salary will be weak, and the players almost surely wouldn't waive to go there.

The Leafs are quite stuck.

If there was any way they could keep Matthews, I'd do it, if I were them. He is uniquely skilled and has shown me, a better competitiveness and more leadership on both ends of the ice.  They should look to try and trade Marner or Nylander. They haven't been effective enough, for the money they make, in the playoffs. One of the problems they have, is one that the Flyers traditionally do. Overpaying players, and making them unmovable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FD19372 said:

If there was any way they could keep Matthews, I'd do it, if I were them. He is uniquely skilled and has shown me, a better competitiveness and more leadership on both ends of the ice.  They should look to try and trade Marner or Nylander. They haven't been effective enough, for the money they make, in the playoffs. One of the problems they have, is one that the Flyers traditionally do. Overpaying players, and making them unmovable.

You know Matthews makes $13, 250,000 a season and has ONE goal, right?

But ya, this group has shown it doesn't have it, period, in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

You know Matthews makes $13, 250,000 a season and has ONE goal, right?

You know the Bruins are keying on Matthews, and NO ONE else has stepped up, right?

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

You know the Bruins are keying on Matthews, and NO ONE else has stepped up, right?

You know that happens to every good player in the playoffs and THEY step up right? See Connor McDavid. Marchand. Makar. Those guys all get extra attention and excel in it.

Matthews is getting paid over 13 million to step up. Nylander, makes half that. And just came back from injury ONE game ago. He's hardly to blame for them being down 3-1. Marner has actually outscored Matthews in playoff hockey. Neither of them seems to have another gear when it comes to crunch time though.

They definitely need to find guys who can play in the playoffs cause Matthews and Marner don't appear to be them. They're getting paid like they are, but they just aren't. Sounds like perfect Flyer material. 😉  Lets see if they can reach down in their guts for an elimination game. History says its unlikely.

Edited by flyercanuck

More things change .... the more they stay the same ...... 

It's been confirmed that the playoffs are Kryptonite to the Leaf's.  I hear the fat lady starting to warm up on Toronto.

Out of all playoff teams, only the Islanders and Capitals had fewer regulation wins than the Leafs. This current era of Leaf players have never won a Division Title. Not once. They've never even sniffed at the President's Trophy. And yet for some reason Leaf fans are surprised when they fail in the playoffs.

The clock is about to strike midnight once again on the Leafs .......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Joseph Woll saved Toronto’s bacon several times in the 3rd and OT, before the Leafs score a clutch goal to keep this drama going.  Huzzah!

Leafs’ radio (Joe Bowen) reminds the Toronto Faithful that they’ve lost their last six home playoff contests.  

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (A3) Toronto Maple Leafs at (A2) Boston Bruins (BOS Leads 3-2)
22 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Did not see that coming 

What? A Leafs win?

Sure...why not?
I mean, now they will have the fans chanting "We want the Cup" once again, there will be wall to wall coverage (even MORE than usual) all over the NHL airwaves on the team, including, probably, some cute lil stories ONLY Leafs fans care about concerning the "journey" of Leafs players to get to where they are now...

Only to have the team ultimately lose the series and disappoint fans yet again.
This is all vintage Maple Leafs if you aske me... :bigteeth: 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Only to have the team ultimately lose the series and disappoint fans yet again.
This is all vintage Maple Leafs if you aske me...

It’s what The Ghost did so many times to the Capitals before it occupied the Leafs; got your hopes up then laid The Egg soon after, including countless Game 6 or 7 home losses.

Edited by SaucyJack

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Knies out! Leafs win, and live to Fall another day of the Spring.

No Matthews, Leafs win! I rest my case! 😆

mic-drop-minion-5n1ngfpww8lio8u2.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

No Matthews, Leafs win! I rest my case! 

This is my issue with putting injured players on the ice.

Matthews on the ice at 80% is still expected to be "Matthews" and will take up the space and ice time that he gets.

Removing that means the other guys have to play like Matthews isn't there, because he isn't, which can improve their game.

The Leaves have many more issues than Matthews' illness and have quite the home Game 6 history...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

This is my issue with putting injured players on the ice.

Matthews on the ice at 80% is still expected to be "Matthews" and will take up the space and ice time that he gets.

Removing that means the other guys have to play like Matthews isn't there, because he isn't, which can improve their game.

The Leaves have many more issues than Matthews' illness and have quite the home Game 6 history...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

They still need a true #1 defenceman, a #1 goalie, and probably more heart. 

There's still a major hurdle, maybe the biggest issue for them: winning a game at home.

They don't have the road ice advantage and this is a huge thing to overcome. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They still need a true #1 defenceman, a #1 goalie, and probably more heart. 

Should have taken Laughton in 2012 instead of Rielly.

:hocky: