Rookie "D" men really doing the job!

Guest The Quigster

These guys are really stepping up.Training camp evaluations don't work,I wonder if any of the other Phantoms deserve a second look? Lavi's system works better on lesser talented players and it shows the last couple of games. This system requires hard work,Wayne Simmonds is a good example. Keep up the good work.

I'm not sold on either of them, although Bourdon has looked far better than Marshall. I honestly don't think Marshall can play in the NHL, except maybe as a #6 on a lousy team. Bourdon: he's high risk, high reward. We'll see...

Considering how many guys had to get hurt (pronger, Gus, lilja) and passed over (walker) and line up regulars over the rookies (mesz, coburn, timonen, carle).....the rookies are doing a antastic job. They are basically our #9 and #10 defenseman.

I can't wait until they settle in and get comfortable with playing in the NHL, no jitters or confusion/panic! I like the potential.

Agree Marshall was not look good in own zone last game, a lot turn overs, were trying to make perfect stretch pass. Bourdon, I don't yet what to say need to see more. Look ok, because I didn't see bad passes, so we shall see.

What I like to see from Bourdon so far is his ability to anticipate. He needs that since he's considered below average in the skating dept. I like that he does not get caught flat footed to often....in other words, when there is a potential odd man rush, he knows which way to cheat to make up for his lack of speed. A lot of this is knowing which skate/foot to plant on the fly. A bit of this can be taught, but a lot of it is instinct, so that is very promising. We need this kids physicality, so if he does not become a defensive liability in defensive zone coverage, his spot is all but guaranteed.

I've been sort of ragging on these guys calling them the pu-pu platter but it is not warranted. they've played well, i think bourdon has been quite good actually, i don't know if marshall with continue to be with the big club once some else gets healthy, (gustavsson or lilja,) but he hasn't been any worse than alberts was a couple of years ago, but he hasn't been the physical presence i thought he'd be...and what ever happened to bartulis ? i thought he would be competing for a spot with the big club out of camp, but he's no where, is he still a flyer ?

These guys are really stepping up.Training camp evaluations don't work,I wonder if any of the other Phantoms deserve a second look? Lavi's system works better on lesser talented players and it shows the last couple of games. This system requires hard work,Wayne Simmonds is a good example. Keep up the good work.

I have really been impressed with Bourdon. He is playing very physical and with Pronger out of the lineup, something the defense seriously needed.

I have really been impressed with Bourdon. He is playing very physical and with Pronger out of the lineup, something the defense seriously needed.

Absolutely. Between Bourdon and Rinaldo, other teams have to look around the ice a little more nowadays.

what i like about Bourdon is his commitment to stick to his guns and drill a 5'2 guy with a mask on from behind into the boards. and even though he got a penalty he stood up like a man and fought whoever it was on that buffalo team.