Flyers #20 Pick...SCOTT LAUGHTON

Guest pilldoc

Another potential plus of drafting this guy is that once he's ready, he can fill the role that Cooter currently holds, shutting down the top offensive player, to free him up to start focusing more on his offensive game, which I'm excited to see him get going on.

Still not sure about Parise leaving NJ, I haven't read anything to make me think he's looking to leave only that he will NOT sign with the Rangers,. i've read speculation that he'd like to play in Minnesota since that's his hometown, but I think it takes a kings ransom to out bid NJ for him, the price will be cap crippling.

the guy was 2 wins from the cup with his team's best player (kovalchuk) at 70% because of his groin... I think he's more incllined to stay and see if he can lead that team to the big win than join up in some super powers combo elsewhere, playing with giroux is appealing as is playing with crosby but he's got it pretty good where he is too.

I don't put much stock in the Shattuck St-Mary's connection with Crosby being an inside track for anything,

a lot of typing to say Parise is in the ultimate big payday situation and likes to win, hard to see where detroit's 10's of millions of cap space isn't a huge player, while Pgh and Phi can pine for what would have been.

the guy was 2 wins from the cup with his team's best player (kovalchuk) at 70% because of his groin... I think he's more incllined to stay and see if he can lead that team to the big win than join up in some super powers combo elsewhere, playing with giroux is appealing as is playing with crosby but he's got it pretty good where he is too.

True, but the fact that the Devils organization is in a financial bind, probably will have the most influence on the situation. To the best of my knowledge the Devils haven't even approached Parise's agent about a new deal. The Devils will most likely lose Salvador as well. Brodeur also hasn't committed to signing.

I think if the Devils were a financially stable organization Parise probably would choose to stay, however this is not the case.

The Devils will most likely lose Salvador as well.

"The Devils will most likely lose Salvador as well." I would love to get Salvador! Who knew he had that kind of game in him?? Flash in the pan in the swan song of his career or just well seasoned??

You mean he is not JVR??

Lol, yes, I suppose I do mean that.

I'm increasingly ok with the pick. The fact that we prolly could have got him in the 2nd round (though not likely at #45) is a bit moot. You could trade down 10-15 spots, but to what end and to get what in return? A 7th rounder? And you risk not getting the guy you wanted.

I also have a stinking suspicion that the player the Flyers wanted was Tom Wilson and Laughton was 2nd on the list.

Historically, Flyers don't draft D-man in 1st round, and I don't blame them for this, because D-man development is taking like 4--6 years, so by that time it's easy trade like that trade JVR for Shenn. And also Matta is not Pronger so center is safe way for pick, center can play right or left wing, penalties killing unit.

Historically, Flyers don't draft D-man in 1st round, and I don't blame them for this, because D-man development is taking like 4--6 years, so by that time it's easy trade like that trade JVR for Shenn. And also Matta is not Pronger so center is safe way for pick, center can play right or left wing, penalties killing unit.

Agreed, plus, when was the last time you heard of patient Flyers fans waiting kindly for players to develop?

• 2 weeks later...

This kid had quite the impressive offensive stats in Midget, 55 goals in 76 games, and they said he turned it up last year near the end of the Season. I think he will improve offensively this year. He sounds though like a Talbot kind of guy, although I know they compared him to Richards.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

Lol, yes, I suppose I do mean that.

I'm increasingly ok with the pick. The fact that we prolly could have got him in the 2nd round (though not likely at #45) is a bit moot. You could trade down 10-15 spots, but to what end and to get what in return? A 7th rounder? And you risk not getting the guy you wanted.

I also have a stinking suspicion that the player the Flyers wanted was Tom Wilson and Laughton was 2nd on the list.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but if would be fun to go to an NHL draft:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635580

I am not going to Newark to see one, but I would certainly go to Philly to watch it.

Or wait for guys like Weber to develop so we can trade half the team to get him.

I think he will improve offensively this year. He sounds though like a Talbot kind of guy, although I know they compared him to Richards.

On many pre-draft projections, I counted no less than 30 d-men in the top 60 picks. I would have like the Flyers to have drafted at least one. This was the year of the D when it comes to drafts.

@Vanflyer Man did Rienhart ever move up huh? It was like, he got Van's stamp of approval and skyrockted up the lists...lol. Man he's gonna be a good one. The Islanders defense is shaping up nicely. I'm a huge fan of Travis Hominic, I can see some real leadership qualities in him....he will be a big impact player for them this year, nice combo of physicality, smarts and offensive skill, just a real nice all round player. I also like Calvin de Haan, who should be heard from this year after spending a much needed year in the AHL. That's 3 young studs they will have going forward, nice way to build a team IMHO.

Man did Rienhart ever move up huh? It was like, he got Van's stamp of approval and skyrockted up the lists...lol. Man he's gonna be a good one

I know isn't that funny? I am impressed you remembered I was chatting him up early on. Considering I don't get to watch Juniors like I used to be able to (since I am not in Canada or in the NW anymore), the ONE guy I see and am able to watch gets a bullet next to his name.

You are right about the Islanders. I really feel bad for them. So many years of ineptness at both the owner and GM level and yet despite all that, they are getting some good drafts. The county of Long Island is pretty rich- yet they gave a big middle finger to the islanders on a new arena- which the team desperately needs.

I remember the days of Bossy, Potvin, Billy smith (who was the pre-cursor to Hextall when it came to goalie nastiness). How the mighty have fallen so far!!

I find myself rooting for the Islanders because of so many years of losing. Of the three NY teams (NYR, Devils, Islanders), they are my favorite if there is such a thing.

On many pre-draft projections, I counted no less than 30 d-men in the top 60 picks. I would have like the Flyers to have drafted at least one. This was the year of the D when it comes to drafts.

I wasn't happy with the Flyers taking him at the spot. I would have preferred to take Maatta or another D. I am trying to find a bright side to the pick.

I wasn't happy with the Flyers taking him at the spot. I would have preferred to take Maatta or another D. I am trying to find a bright side to the pick.

The bright side is he is a gamer. He is Talbots replacement in three years.

The bright side is he is a gamer. He is Talbots replacement in three years.

Ya, but the problem is they likely could have taken Maata and still got Laughton in the 2nd round, and the goalie in the 3rd. Reaching is ok, but reaching this far is kind of dumb if you ask me.

...they likely could have still got Laughton in the 2nd round

At the #45 spot? I doubt it.

Look where Wilson went. If Laughton has half the character that many are saying he has (plus a decent amount of all around skill with few weak spots) I cannot see how a whole pile of teams, many of which said typical things like wanting to draft "character guys" would have passed on him.

Look at the picks that teams like Wpg who are all about character if you listen to their GM, took: (#39-44):

Lukas Sutter Dylan Blujus Mitchell Heard Patrick Sieloff Ludwig Bystrom Jake McCabe

I'd take Laughton over every one of those guys from my limited knowledge. Bystrom seems to have fallen, otherwise, none of those guys would have gone first round. Whereas, lots of people had Laughton going in the first round.

Anyway, what I really meant to say is go f u c k yourself and have a nice summer.

Ya, but the problem is they likely could have taken Maata and still got Laughton in the 2nd round, and the goalie in the 3rd. Reaching is ok, but reaching this far is kind of dumb if you ask me.

I was just grasping for a silver lining- but agree with everything you said. I have stated it on a couple of other threads and will here again: I think this is the WORST Homer has done in the off-season. Outside of getting a Doan, there is nothing that could salvage that opinion in my mind.

I'd take Laughton over every one of those guys from my limited knowledge. Bystrom seems to have fallen, otherwise, none of those guys would have gone first round. Whereas, lots of people had Laughton going in the first round.

Would you take Laughton over Maata? For me personally, this was the year of the d-man. To not land one in either of the first two rounds is absurd to me.