Lucic My New Hero For Taking Out Miller

Guest FlyersFan4Life

I don't know whether to send Ryan Miller tissues or tampons.

I mean, seriously, Ryan, you come out there to play the puck right in front of someone who has flown all the way down the ice to get the puck and want to whine because he hits you? Really? I mean, that's going to be a penalty every time because the "New NHL" wants to protect vaginas like Ryan Miller, but that's a hockey play right there. You don't want to play hockey, Ryan? Fine. Get your tutu and lederhosen out of your closet and put it to good use: take up ice dancing.

Jesus. How about that swing from Miller afterwards? That could have been a terrible injury. I agree that if a goalie comes out of the crease, he's fair game. Why not? If you're going to enter the play, you should be fair. They only places they should be protected is in the crease and the trapezoid.

I agree that if a goalie comes out of the crease, he's fair game. Why not? If you're going to enter the play, you should be fair.

because none of a goalie's equipment is designed to provide any protection from that kind of contact, and in fact makes it harder to absorb the hit.

if a goalie is trying to stick handle, that's one thing and i'll agree with you that he makes him self a target. there is a hockey reason to hit him in that case: knock the puck carrier off the puck. the situation with lucic, though, he was finishing his check on a goalie who had already gotten rid of the puck. there is no hockey reason to do that, no upside other than hitting the goalie.

edit: i do disagree with buffalo's commentary, though; that was a 2 minute penalty, and it should have been a 2 minute penalty. it wasn't intent to injure, they were pretty over the top.

Edited by aziz

It did seem like a bit much but I hate that a player has to stop because the goalie beats him to the puck or you get a goalie interference because he's out of the crease and you run him over. They should stay in the crease if they want to avoid contact.

Lucic definitely put in the extra effort.

if the forward can't avoid the contact then he can't avoid the contact, and i have no problem. or if the goalie and the forward get to the puck at the same time, then i'm good with that, too. miller had swept the puck to the corner well before the contact, and then lucic dropped his shoulder and blew him up. that's not cool.

The goalie owns the crease and to a lesser extent the trapezoid behind the net. That's it. If he comes out to play the puck that is inches from the forwards blade, the hit should be legal. If you are going to act like a wussy, stay in your protected area.

If you are going to act like a wussy, stay in your protected area.

the first time brygalov leaves that puck laying there for lucic to pick up for a 30 foot breakaway, you will be screaming at the top of your lungs. then, when bryzgalov comes out to play it, gets cleaned out and dislocates his shoulder because goalie chest armor offers no impact protection to the wearer, you will scream even louder.

there was no hockey reason for lucic to hit miller there. it was nothing more than what he tought was an opportunity to clean out the goalie. the hit met the letter of the law on charging, and so it was called.

The latest is Miller has a concussion.

Interesting....I wonder if Shanny will be taking an extra look at this? Or maybe the injury is just said to be a concussion SO Shanny takes a deeper look at this?

I think the league should be taking a look. Lucic did nothing to avoid maximum contact with Miller.

i'm with aziz on this.....say whatever you want about miller, but thats a dirty hit by lucic. everyone knows you dont go after the goalie, and lucic didnt simply 'carry momentum' into miller. like aziz said, he lowered his shoulder, ignored the puck, and drilled miller. i dont know the interpretation of the rules as far as should it be 2 or 5, but i think he should get a couple games for it. lord knows had the same situation occured from a member of the o&b people would be pushing for 10 games at least, coupled with endless mentions of snowballs hurled in santas direction.

Jesus. How about that swing from Miller afterwards? That could have been a terrible injury. I agree that if a goalie comes out of the crease, he's fair game. Why not? If you're going to enter the play, you should be fair. They only places they should be protected is in the crease and the trapezoid.

I've been saying this forever as well. It's up to them to leave the crease therefor it's up to them if they want to be protected by the crease or not. If they leave the crease, they should be fair game

"the first time brygalov leaves that puck laying there for lucic to pick up for a 30 foot breakaway, you will be screaming ..."

Not even almost the same. Miller didn't leave the puck there, Lucic brought it into the zone and it rolled off his stick. That doesn't mean that "Oh, well, I guess it's the goalie's now." Lucic traveled in a straight path and wasn't charging Miller, he was charging the puck. Miller skated into that path and got trucked; not only did he choose his fate, he tossed up an elbow and then attempted to slash Lucic's knees off.

I know you as a former goalie have a certain flaming bias, but that was a bad penalty. And I despise Lucic.

"the first time brygalov leaves that puck laying there for lucic to pick up for a 30 foot breakaway, you will be screaming ..."

Not even almost the same. Miller didn't leave the puck there, Lucic brought it into the zone and it rolled off his stick.

i'm saying if miller does what you are saying he should do (assuming he doesn't want to get destroyed): leave that loose puck for lucic to take control of deep in the defensive zone rather that go make a play on it. every goalie coach ever will have his goalie doing herbies if he doesn't get out and deal with a loose puck like that. it isn't miller's puck, you're right...and if if lucic's hit had anything to do with making a play on the puck, i'd agree with you: fair play. it didn't, though. lucic finished his check after the puck was gone. a goalie is just not a valid target for that. there is no hockey reason for it other than to take a run at the goalie. training, equipment and tradition say don't do it.

if the forward can't avoid the contact then he can't avoid the contact, and i have no problem. or if the goalie and the forward get to the puck at the same time, then i'm good with that, too. miller had swept the puck to the corner well before the contact, and then lucic dropped his shoulder and blew him up. that's not cool.

Not cool... But it was awesome... Lol. I hate miller... Great goalie, but Unfortunately a better whiner.

because none of a goalie's equipment is designed to provide any protection from that kind of contact, and in fact makes it harder to absorb the hit.

if a goalie is trying to stick handle, that's one thing and i'll agree with you that he makes him self a target. there is a hockey reason to hit him in that case: knock the puck carrier off the puck. the situation with lucic, though, he was finishing his check on a goalie who had already gotten rid of the puck. there is no hockey reason to do that, no upside other than hitting the goalie.

edit: i do disagree with buffalo's commentary, though; that was a 2 minute penalty, and it should have been a 2 minute penalty. it wasn't intent to injure, they were pretty over the top.

Rick Jeanneret.........need I say more...It was funny to hear him screaming for Lucic's head. I swear if they had a camera on Jeanneret, He would have been foaming at the mouth...

Lucic most certainly could have left up and turned away(therefore it was correctly called a penalty although I an not sure I would call it charging,possibly roughing or interference). BUT, if you watch the replay Miller knows the hit is coming, and expected Lucic to turn away some. In essence Miller was preparing to dive to get the call if Lucic so much as brushed him. I think Lucic knew that and decided, if I am going to get called, I should at least get my money's worth.

Lucic definitely didn't try to avoid the hit in the least, so therefore he definitely deserves a penalty. If the puck was still there at Miller's feet, I'd say he deserved it. You've got to protect the goalies a bit more, i get as mad as the next guy at goalie's who clearly EXPLOIT that, but Miller was just clearing the puck away.

It was a cheap hit from a cheap player.

This is exactly the unnecessary contact that the league has been trying to get out of the game - for the health of the players involved.

If Miller is carrying the puck, he's fair game. If he's playing it to the corner - he's not.

As much as I agree with the "stay in the crease" argument, this is not a situation in which that applies. This is a charging call on anybody.

Lucic doesn't try to play the puck at all and deliberately goes for the hit high on Miller. To me, that's "intent to injure". What other intent could it be?