FLYERS SIGN WEBER TO MASSIVE OFFER SHEET

Guest jkearse123

Bryz is about a 2 week span away from being a total loss (1 bad year I can cope with, anything beyond that is a big problem).

Put Shea Weber in front of Bryzaster for the next 8 years, and that'll go a long way towards fixing his problems.

• Like 3

The up-front money (especially with a possible lock-out looming) would probably prevent Nashville from matching.

Really? Is that the state of that franchises finances? Why can't they just borrow the money, that's what people do, don't they? You should see my debt to household income ratio. It's not cheap keeping sheep man.

Put Shea Weber in front of Bryzaster for the next 8 years, and that'll go a long way towards fixing his problems.

I don't know if it will or won't, but I like it in theory. I'm willing to chalk up one shaky year to a new environment and being Philly of all places. But we're stuck with the guy until he stops playing, so might as well put a wall in front of him.

* The total deal is worth $110 million over 14 seasons

* The annual cap hit is $7.9 million

* $80 million of the $110 million must be paid in the first six years of the deal

* The signing bonus portion is much bigger than the actual in-season salary and would be paid out in installments over the first six years

* The deal is paid out as follows: From the 2012-13 to 2015-16 seasons (four seasons), Weber will receive $13 million each year toward signing bonus payment and $1 million in salary; in 2016-17 to 2017-18 (two seasons), he will get $8 million annually toward the signing bonus and $4 million in salary; From 2017-18 to 2021-22 (four seasons), the signing bonuses end and a $6 million salary kicks in; In 2022-23, the salary reduces to $3 million for the season; in 2023-24 to 2025-26 (the final three seasons), the salary reduces to $1 million.

however this shakes out... i think this has to be considered a pretty brilliant move by the flyers. there is no lose in this situation for us. weber is either going to be a flyer or a pred for the rest of his career. homer took control of the situation in a big way and has narrowed all options to just those 2. very very smart.

anyone who's questioning the length and terms of the deal needs to look at the bigger picture. this is *the* one player you throw the bank at. but, more than that... this offer seems to be more of a forcing of the hand of nashville. poille wasn't liking our trade offers, i suppose. well, now he has to consider those more seriously.

worst case scenario is basically nashville matching and we go home empty handed. but so does vancouver, detroit, pitt, rags... on and on. i can't see a negative to this move as surprising as it is.

• Like 1

Really? Is that the state of that franchises finances? Why can't they just borrow the money, that's what people do, don't they? You should see my debt to household income ratio. It's not cheap keeping sheep man.

The Preds aren't exactly flush with cash.

That bonus money is a large chunk of change for a team like that, especially with a lockout.

however this shakes out... i think this has to be considered a pretty brilliant move by the flyers. there is no lose in this situation for us. weber is either going to be a flyer or a pred for the rest of his career. homer took control of the situation in a big way and has narrowed all options to just those 2. very very smart.

anyone who's questioning the length and terms of the deal needs to look at the bigger picture. this is *the* one player you throw the bank at. but, more than that... this offer seems to be more of a forcing of the hand of nashville. poille wasn't liking our trade offers, i suppose. well, now he has to consider those more seriously.

worst case scenario is basically nashville matching and we go home empty handed. but so does vancouver, detroit, pitt, rags... on and on. i can't see a negative to this move as surprising as it is.

Poile could always save face by trading Weber to the Flyers.

• Like 1

From a Pred's forum:

"Do you not comprehend that Weber has basically given the preds the middle finger? By signing this contract, not only does that prohibit us from trading him for a package we want, but it means our captain doesn't want to be in Nashville. Not only that, but if we match, we aren't allowed to trade him for an entire year as per the current CBA and I don't see that changing in the next one. Why would we want to match an offer that obviously suggests Weber doesn't want to stay here? Before anyone comes up with a dumber idea about Weber maybe wanting Poile to match this, he would've signed a contract in the first place."

• Like 3

Poile could always save face by trading Weber to the Flyers.

Weber has signed the sheet. Polie can't trade Weber directly.

He would need to decline to match, take the picks and then deal the picks back to Philly (a la Chris Gratton).

If Polie matches, he can't move Weber for a year.

Weber has signed the sheet. Polie can't trade Weber directly.

He would need to decline to match, take the picks and then deal the picks back to Philly (a la Chris Gratton).

If Polie matches, he can't move Weber for a year.

But if Poile doesn't match, Homer then holds all the cards, right? He doesn't have to make a trade unless he decides he'd rather give up players than picks.

I don't really see how you can say that.

He is going to be 27 in about a month. I'd say the odds are pretty good he won't play 14 more years. So what happens then? What happens when he's washed up and simply too old/banged up to play and there's still has like 5 years left on his contract. Isn't that why people hated the Pronger contract?

But if Poile doesn't match, Homer then holds all the cards, right? He doesn't have to make a trade unless he decides he'd rather give up players than picks.

Exactly. Unless - like Gratton - the NHL decides that it would be a sad if a team following the rules is allowed to legally sign a player and require the Flyers to compensate the Predators.

Polie's window to trade Weber (to anyone but the Flyers) has closed. And he's now faced with four (likely low) first round picks as compensation.

Polie is going from a GM of the Year nominee to a Scott Howson wannabe.

He is going to be 27 in about a month. I'd say the odds are pretty good he won't play 14 more years. So what happens then? What happens when he's washed up and simply too old/banged up to play and there's still has like 5 years left on his contract. Isn't that why people hated the Pronger contract?

You waive him and he refuses to report to the AHL.

Pronger's deal was a 35+ contract which is why his number is still on the cap. Weber's deal isn't. If Weber doesn't want to play the last three years on the deal at $1M each, he can retire. Which he can really do at any time he likes.

• Like 1

The big difference is that Pronger was an "over 35" contract, so the Flyers are on the hook for the whole thing. Not so with Weber. If he retires at 36 or whatever, the Flyers just say goodbye and good luck.

@JackStraw

Correct...but I think he'll need to make some kind of trade to get some cap space to sign reamining RFA's. Nashville makes sense, but it doesn't have to be them.

Yeah, according to capgeek the Flyers have about $7.8 million in cap space right now. If they do get Weber, Homer is going to have to do something creative to get under the cap without losing some key players.

how can i say that?!?!!? well, his annual cap hit in 2025 will be the same as next year. a very manageable $7.1m/yr which is actually LESS than his cap hit from last year. in 2025 that will be pennies.

he's the best D man in the world right now. he instantly makes the flyers a serious stanley cup caliber team. he's just turning 27. D men are entering their prime at that age. so you have the best D man in the world entering his prime. he's extremely durable. last 4 years he played nearly all games. Lidstrom just retired at what? 42? playing at a high level mind you.

it's entirely possible weber could play out that deal. if not.. well, it's heavily front loaded and again.. that $7.1 cap hit will be nothing at the end of this deal.

Yeah, according to capgeek the Flyers have about $7.8 million in cap space right now. If they do get Weber, Homer is going to have to do something creative to get under the cap without losing some key players.

Capgeek still includes Pronger's money on there, so they're really up around $12M or so.

And Pronger will be LTIRed, so there will be almost $5 more millions to be spend.

Edited by eurofly

Exactly. Unless - like Gratton - the NHL decides that it would be a sad if a team following the rules is allowed to legally sign a player and require the Flyers to compensate the Predators.

Polie's window to trade Weber (to anyone but the Flyers) has closed. And he's now faced with four (likely low) first round picks as compensation.

Polie is going from a GM of the Year nominee to a Scott Howson wannabe.

You waive him and he refuses to report to the AHL.

Pronger's deal was a 35+ contract which is why his number is still on the cap. Weber's deal isn't. If Weber doesn't want to play the last three years on the deal at $1M each, he can retire. Which he can really do at any time he likes.

And what happens when he refuses to report to the AHL?

And what happens when he refuses to report to the AHL?

He would basically need to retire at that point. Cap hit comes off. See: Andreychuk, Dave.

The Flyers aren't very likely to make this move unless Weber wants them to. I can almost guarandamntee there is a NMC involved in this offer...

I fully expect them to do the same thing with Bryzgalov before the end of that deal, with Bryz likely getting a swan song in the KHL

Nobody expects Kovalchuk to be playing at 43....

I guess this is a win-win for the Flyers but I still have a nervous feeling! We either get the best d-man and at good price OR keep him from any immediate rivals. I can deal with the loss of four draft picks. I keep hearing different things on that. 4 firsts vs 2 firsts, a second and a third... But what worries me... are we gonna have to give up another signifacant piece or two to fit him under the cap. We can't keep "raping" the offence to pay for the defence or we will "raping" the defence next summer to bolster the offence. I love Giroux but no team wins with a one trick pony show (Stamkos in Tampa anyone?)....