Holmgren: "I like our team..."

rickmac19

Yeah, none of that's gonna work. Ok, I've changed my mind: Kimmo needs to continue to play the PK. And I like him on the PP too much to take him off there. So, we're left with no choice but to make his regular shift that of the 3rd pairing, i.e. as the #5 guy.

Ha! I'm a genius.

Haha! You are you are!!

Projected starting lineup:

By Corey Masisak

For all of the plaudits earned from dismantling their rivals in the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Philadelphia Flyers are likely still smarting from a second-round defeat just days later.

Claude Giroux became a superstar and Scott Hartnell one of the top power forwards in the League, but the New Jersey Devils ended the Flyers' potential Stanley Cup run, and the offseason in Philadelphia brought more questions than answers.

Jaromir Jagr and Matt Carle are gone after signing elsewhere as free agents. James van Riemsdyk was traded for Luke Schenn to help bolster the depth on defense -- but the deal has also left the forwards a little thin if there are injuries. There are already injuries to deal with on the back end.

Ruslan Fedotenko was added -- like Max Talbot the year before, he brings with him a strong postseason pedigree. Bruno Gervais was signed and could earn a spot on the team's third defense pairing.

Then there is Ilya Bryzgalov. He was brought in as the final piece on a potentially great team last season, but now he's going to be counted on to help keep an elite team from slipping backwards. He makes the Flyers' destiny a wide range of possibilities, both good and bad.

Forwards

Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek

Wayne Simmonds - Brayden Schenn - Danny Briere

Ruslan Fedotenko - Sean Couturier - Matt Read

Eric Wellwood - Maxime Talbot - Zac Rinaldo

Jody Shelley

Defensemen

Kimmo Timonen - Nicklas Grossmann

Braydon Coburn - Luke Schenn

Erik Gustafsson - Bruno Gervais

Marc-Andre Bourdon

Goaltenders

Ilya Bryzgalov

Michael Leighton

HHHHhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm....very interesting....

Edited by OccamsRazor

As long as you keep providing excellent comic fodder like your "Timonen: #5 D on most teams" material, I will continue to look like a genius. :)

It's how I see his season going is all. See what Laviolette does with him on the PP and PK, then see how much ice time he wracking up. Come February and March that will have decided his fate. If he's third line minutes plus PP and PK he should be okay. If he's still chugging top minutes I believe he'll be hurting. Something's gotta give... I hate watching quality D-men slide, but I've followed d-men more closely than anything else for years, and watched closely as a lot of better ones than Timonen have slipped away, sadly. I hope you're right for his health's sake.

We appreciate your input Polary and a valued posters perspective is what you bring, much respect to you and yours.

Now we got our lil' Mario in Claude and his partner Luigi in Jake, Hartnell not to sure, he's no oompa loompa....so he'll just have to park himself by the pipes and score, if he shows his but crack,.. WE HAVE OURSELVES "THE PLUMBER LINE."

Anywho...thanks for your input, but Timo being a 5th man.....thats a pretty steep reach "on any team" I get what your saying and your saying it for the good of the team, but that's almost like giving us a B1t(H slap and saying, 'hey wake up!"

But I feel ya brah! I feel you.....that was a shock and awe statement, but I feel you... and I know where it's coming from.....deep down inside.......................I can feelitt!

I hate watching quality D-men slide, but I've followed d-men more closely than anything else for years, and watched closely as a lot of better ones than Timonen have slipped away, sadly. I hope you're right for his health's sake.

usually with defensmen, like quarterbacks, it isn't so much a slide as it is drop off a cliff. when the wheels go, or in a qb's case the arm , it gets ugly quickly, especially for the guys that relied upon said wheels.

usually with defensmen, like quarterbacks, it isn't so much a slide as it is drop off a cliff. when the wheels go, or in a qb's case the arm , it gets ugly quickly, especially for the guys that relied upon said wheels.

I don't think Timo has relied upon his wheels as much as positioning and hockey smarts.

A Paul Coffey falls off a cliff - Timonen can be an effective (not $6.3M) player for another few years yet (and likely will, barring injury).

But, as with any player as they get older, you need to adjust with the times. Does #1 PK and #1 PP with 2/3rd pairing minutes make a guy a "5"?

If so, that's a "5" I want on my team (again, not for $6.3M).

I'm comfortable with Timonen as the top pair guy as long as he's comfortable with it. Given the situation, it's essential. But that doesn't, for me, equate to 30 TOI on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Again my #5 man point was referring to even strength minutes played. Obviously his PP time is his best time on the ice. And he gets a lot of PK time for you boys as well. To make the most of those I'd cut his 5v5 time to third pair so he lasts all season and into the playoffs. A lot of you disagree and I respect that. Just my thinking is all.

Again my #5 man point was referring to even strength minutes played. Obviously his PP time is his best time on the ice. And he gets a lot of PK time for you boys as well. To make the most of those I'd cut his 5v5 time to third pair so he lasts all season and into the playoffs. A lot of you disagree and I respect that. Just my thinking is all.

Yeah, I think the whole "5" thing depends on your definition - which was never really addressed and I can't type on my phone fast enough to comment over the past weekend (lol)

The idea has been for the past few seasons to cut Timonen's playing time, and he's been forced to play (and play injured) due to injuries to other players.

I've said previously that a 2/3 role is best for him at 5v5. He was playing 2nd pair with Pronger here. As it is, I see maybe a 22/22/16 split for the 1/2/3 lines as they look now. Hopefully :)

@Vegas Flyer

Welcome Vegas to HockeyForums

There will be hockey. Maybe not till Nov- Dec. But I fully expect an agreement prior to the Winter Classic.

Thanks 101......Been a Flyer fan since day one.....season ticket holder from'70-'80....been in Vegas over 20 years....can't live without my Orange n Black!

Love the young guns...they will bring us a Cup soon....been too many years without it.

Hope you are right...I could wait till Nov...not long after Christmas.

@Polaris922

Well then, get some more of your boys on here, and if you know any Rangers, Wings, Habs et al fans invite them too.

I'm trying bud... You know how it is when most people prefer sites focused on their own team. Even fans of the game will avoid adversity sometimes when it's what they do just for fun.

• Like 1

I'm trying bud... You know how it is when most people prefer sites focused on their own team. Even fans of the game will avoid adversity sometimes when it's what they do just for fun.

This is where my Sabres folk are...

Onward and upward

HF Boards has existed for quite some time with fans from all teams. I think we can do the same especially when we offer better software, with no advertisements, no trolls or spam, and a solid core of knowledgeable members. It will just take some time to grow, we aren't even quite a year old.

and I think Schenn has a tremendous upside to him down the road if he's tapped right. N

He is young. Jack Johnson played some of his best hockey of his NHL career after going to Columbus. Schenn is a better hitter than Johnson. Schenn is 3 years younger than Johnson. As a Flyers fan AND hockey fan, I am hoping both (Schenn / JVR) reach their promised ceilings.