Just cant take this season seriously

Guest Flyingswede

Hi! happy it's on? well, im happy. Nice to watch NHL again but I just dont care how it goes. Im looking forward for october 2013. This year our team isnt exactly exciting. team! Our roster is mediokre and I dont think we have a chance on the cup, not even the playoffs. Dont mean to whine, I will enjoy watching our games but im taking it for what its worth. This is a warm up, the real season begins in october 2013 and I expect Homer to make major moves this summer. Im glad we have a decent youth core anyway.

Hi! happy it's on? well, im happy. Nice to watch NHL again but I just dont care how it goes. Im looking forward for october 2013. This year our team isnt exactly exciting. team! Our roster is mediokre and I dont think we have a chance on the cup, not even the playoffs. Dont mean to whine, I will enjoy watching our games but im taking it for what its worth. This is a warm up, the real season begins in october 2013 and I expect Homer to make major moves this summer. Im glad we have a decent youth core anyway.

Yeah I mean its only been two games...the seasons shot....This team hasnt played togther for more then what two weeks...there horrible (Sarcasam).

This is a 48 game season, with back to back games on a regular basis. This is a real season and who ever wins will be worthy of the title.

Edited by Philly29
  • Like 1

Yeah I mean its only been two games...the seasons shot....This team hasnt played togther for more then what two weeks...there horrible (Sarcasam).

This is a 48 game season, with back to back games on a regular basis. This is a real season and who ever wins will be worthy of the title.

While I dont think the season is lost after an 0-2 start, I do not think this is a worthy season. I think this season is a joke and think they shouldnt hand out the cup this year or there should be an asterisk on it. Obviously I know that wont happen but that's how I feel. I will enjoy watching NHL games again for their entertainment value but I dont give a damn about this season.

Why isn't it a worthy season? Different, but worthy.

Every team is under the same set of rules. The best 16 teams will compete for the cup. One will hoist it and receive the glory as in any other year.

• Like 1

The team could've very well have very well have won these first two games. Easily outplayed the pens for most of the game after they went up 2-1. Couldn't get it done and that's worth noting as well but still. And against Buf they looked good as well with the exception of a costly meltdown that they couldn't recover from.

Aside from how they started, before the first puck dropped, I had a split feeling about the season. On one hand,given the fact that there was a lockout, I kind of had a bad taste in my mouth coming in. However, I managed to shut the fact that they weren't even playing out of my mind and focused on other things in the meantime so while there is a bad taste in my mouth, it wasn't so bitter. So looking at the season I kinda felt that if anything, we might be actually seeing a season full of excitement since these games all mean something right away. 0-2 looks really bad now as it wouldn't have in Oct. For me the jury is still out on where this team will be where the dust settles (I need to see more games) but once I get over the lockout, this could actually be the kind of "all season" excitement fans have been looking for due to the shortened season. Now if they don't get into a hole they can't climb out of.

I might watch some of the games for spectacle sake (though I haven't yet), but really couldn't give a rip about the season either.

It's not because it's only 48 games. I actually kind of prefer the condensed version as it makes every game count a bit more. I like not having to wait 10 days between games. I remember actually really enjoying the shortened season in the 90s (was it 94 or 95 or what?)

But hockey is an emotional thing for me...well, it mostly has always been that for me...and it just isn't there. I don't know if it's bitter taste from the lockout crap or if it's just that I've managed to find other things to occupy my time and attention. On the other hand, I often "wade" into a season anyway, so maybe it's just that (although if that is the case, I better hurry up or it'll be over). Whatever the reason, I'm simply paying absolutely no attention at this point.

Why isn't it a worthy season? Different, but worthy.

Every team is under the same set of rules. The best 16 teams will compete for the cup. One will hoist it and receive the glory as in any other year.

In my eyes it's not worthy because some team is going to win a stanley cup but is only going to have work half as hard and endure half as much as every other team that has had to pour their heart, soul, blood sweat and tears into an 82 game season to win the same trophy. You could almost guaruntee that whoever wins it this year probably would not have won it had it been a regular 82 game season. It's a *****g joke and an insult to greatest trophy in all of sports. I'm fine with having the normal run of playoffs to determine a champion of this exhibition season but I dont think they should award the cup this year. I dont think the owners deserve it. As I said, I will watch some games for their entertainment value because I love hockey so much but you'll never convince me that this is a real season.

(unless the Flyers win it all of course. Then it's totally legit. ;) )

I might watch some of the games for spectacle sake (though I haven't yet), but really couldn't give a rip about the season either.

It's not because it's only 48 games. I actually kind of prefer the condensed version as it makes every game count a bit more. I like not having to wait 10 days between games. I remember actually really enjoying the shortened season in the 90s (was it 94 or 95 or what?)

But hockey is an emotional thing for me...well, it mostly has always been that for me...and it just isn't there. I don't know if it's bitter taste from the lockout crap or if it's just that I've managed to find other things to occupy my time and attention. On the other hand, I often "wade" into a season anyway, so maybe it's just that (although if that is the case, I better hurry up or it'll be over). Whatever the reason, I'm simply paying absolutely no attention at this point.

Maybe it's the new "avi"?

At the end of the day, I just don't think we have a strong team. That will be the frustrating part. There are a lot of young, inexperienced guys up front, and the loss of both Jagr and Carle is much bigger than what the Flyers will have you believe.

Giroux is a superstar in his own right, but I am all but convinced that this season will be weaker for him (PPG wise). Playing and training with, and learning from Jagr was a huge thing for Giroux and all the forwards. And you can't replace that with Brayden Schenn, at least not this year. Jags and G had strong chemistry, and that will be sorely missed.

The defense, from what I've seen so far, is not great. They get beat a lot, and we are giving up a ton of shots. 40 shots against from Buffalo? Ouch.

The only bright spot, at least that I've seen, has been goaltending. Who would've thunk it? Also, Laughton should stay with the big boys if he keeps playing like this.

So, I think we're in for a 'disappointing' year as far as Flyers fans are concerned. We're young, and that's ok. As long as I see heart and hard work, I don't care where they finish.

The idea that this is not areal season is ridiculous. As another stated, every team is playing by the same rules and under the same conditions. Is it the same as a full season? No, of course not. So what? How many other seasons have we heard that the first half of the season was over and now the "real' season begins?

In my opinion this season is going to be a tougher challenge than a conventional one. Teams didn't have time to prepare. Roster moves that may have happened, didn't. Players are human beings and this type of real life situation for them will have an effect. there is the impending pressure of buy outs after the season. the schedule will be more grueling. every game is on conference and therefore more crucial. all in all, I think its going to be fun and enjoyable.

for all of you who want asterisks, and are so openly critical after two games, what will you be saying if the Flyers are able to win the Cup this year?

• Like 2

At the end of the day, I just don't think we have a strong team. That will be the frustrating part. There are a lot of young, inexperienced guys up front, and the loss of both Jagr and Carle is much bigger than what the Flyers will have you believe.

Giroux is a superstar in his own right, but I am all but convinced that this season will be weaker for him (PPG wise). Playing and training with, and learning from Jagr was a huge thing for Giroux and all the forwards. And you can't replace that with Brayden Schenn, at least not this year. Jags and G had strong chemistry, and that will be sorely missed.

The defense, from what I've seen so far, is not great. They get beat a lot, and we are giving up a ton of shots. 40 shots against from Buffalo? Ouch.

The only bright spot, at least that I've seen, has been goaltending. Who would've thunk it? Also, Laughton should stay with the big boys if he keeps playing like this.

So, I think we're in for a 'disappointing' year as far as Flyers fans are concerned. We're young, and that's ok. As long as I see heart and hard work, I don't care where they finish.

I tend to agree with much of what you said. It sucks to lose Jags but that was way too much money. Some say the shortened season will help Jagr but I completely disagree. Jagr couldn't even make it through 1/2 of last season without breaking down a bit. Now he will be in a situation of playing back to backs, 3 games in 4 days regularly. Not good for an aging body. I do agree his leadership, work ethic and presence will be missed though. I agree more about losing Carle. It's not so much losing Carle himself but the skill set he brought to the lineup. I would have been ok letting him go as long as he was replaced by someone who has a similar ability to move the puck and get involved offensively. I thought they addressed enough size and physicality with Grossmann. Getting Luke Schenn was just going overboard IMO. I hope Luke pans out but as of right now I see him as a stubborn player who refuses to adjust his game to the NHL level. Still getting beat wide and finding himself out of position and its not because of lack of physical ability. Its between the ears. I hope I am wrong but I can see them taking a step backwards this year. Hopefully Homer doesn't panic and blow it up again. I like this team they are just missing a couple pieces and some seasoning.

I tend to agree with much of what you said. It sucks to lose Jags but that was way too much money. Some say the shortened season will help Jagr but I completely disagree. Jagr couldn't even make it through 1/2 of last season without breaking down a bit. Now he will be in a situation of playing back to backs, 3 games in 4 days regularly. Not good for an aging body. I do agree his leadership, work ethic and presence will be missed though. I agree more about losing Carle. It's not so much losing Carle himself but the skill set he brought to the lineup. I would have been ok letting him go as long as he was replaced by someone who has a similar ability to move the puck and get involved offensively. I thought they addressed enough size and physicality with Grossmann. Getting Luke Schenn was just going overboard IMO. I hope Luke pans out but as of right now I see him as a stubborn player who refuses to adjust his game to the NHL level. Still getting beat wide and finding himself out of position and its not because of lack of physical ability. Its between the ears. I hope I am wrong but I can see them taking a step backwards this year. Hopefully Homer doesn't panic and blow it up again. I like this team they are just missing a couple pieces and some seasoning.

Grossman has looked awful in both games. Sheesh I hope that's just rust!!

In any case, yeah, I'm not sure about Luke Schenn. We needed Luke more than JVR (defenseman vs forward) and it seemed like it was time for a change of scenery for both players. Schenn just turned 23, so it will take a few years yet for him to develop.

This season will be every bit as tough as a regular season just for different reasons. No long breaks to heal injuries. no time to plan between games, loads of back to backs in a short span... you're crunching for the playoffs less than a month after you drop the first puck. The travel, schedule, and lack of rest will take their tolls. I thought very similarly the year the Devils won the shortened season (94-95) UNTIL seeing the toll it took on the players. UNTIL seeing the schedule through and the ways teams had to try to rebound after an injury or suspension. And with no fluff games against the other Conference, come crunch time it gets exciting. You'll see as your Flyers are going to make the playoffs but be fighting to the end for where they'll place.

• Like 3

This season will be every bit as tough as a regular season just for different reasons. No long breaks to heal injuries. no time to plan between games, loads of back to backs in a short span... you're crunching for the playoffs less than a month after you drop the first puck. The travel, schedule, and lack of rest will take their tolls. I thought very similarly the year the Devils won the shortened season (94-95) UNTIL seeing the toll it took on the players. UNTIL seeing the schedule through and the ways teams had to try to rebound after an injury or suspension. And with no fluff games against the other Conference, come crunch time it gets exciting. You'll see as your Flyers are going to make the playoffs but be fighting to the end for where they'll place.

Yeah, I'm also noticing that the Flyers have 11 B2B games, and the Pens only 6. Nice.

Rangers only have 6 as well.

And whoever scheduled the Flyers to play a B2B game within 21.5 hours and in different cities should be shot.

• Like 1

I think you guys have ten but still a little imbalanced eh? Only thing I can figure is your Comcast buddies wanted to take advantage of their connections. From what I read you guys are on NBC more than any other team in the league, so maybe that's why? Something with television scheduling?

And whoever scheduled the Flyers to play a B2B game within 21.5 hours and in different cities should be shot.

Probably our "friend" Mr. Bettman....just his way of saying F-U to the Flyers organization.

11 B2B games...= 22 games...that is almost half the season......errrrrrrrrrr

for all of you who want asterisks, and are so openly critical after two games, what will you be saying if the Flyers are able to win the Cup this year?

I'll be saying it's a shame that 29 other teams went down in plane crashes. I haven't watched enough to justify being critical OR optimistic, to be honest. Just given the roster, I'd be stunned that they're in the semis. Stranger things have happened, however.

Probably our "friend" Mr. Bettman....just his way of saying F-U to the Flyers organization.

11 B2B games...= 22 games...that is almost half the season......errrrrrrrrrr

Can't claim 22 games that way though, as they have days off before the first game so no excuses there. I went over your schedule and see ten... so you guys got 4 more than my boys or the Rags. So really you're talking 4 games. Does it suck? Yes... but it has to be related to being the most televised team on NBC though, and THAT would be Snider's influence I'm thinking. Is there money to be made somehow??

• Like 1

As I said, I will watch some games for their entertainment value because I love hockey so much but you'll never convince me that this is a real season.

Well, then I won't bother trying...... ;)

but nevertheless one team will hoist the cup and have their names engraved as all the rest.

Only thing I can figure is your Comcast buddies wanted to take advantage of their connections. From what I read you guys are on NBC more than any other team in the league, so maybe that's why? Something with television scheduling?

No doubt that is the reason.

Five Most-Watched NHL on NBCSN Games After Jan. 19, 2012

1. Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh, Apr. 7 - 691,000 viewers

2. Boston vs. NY Rangers, Apr. 1 - 664,000

3. Philadelphia vs. Detroit, Feb. 12 - 600,000

4. Detroit vs. St. Louis, Apr. 4 - 572,000

5. Detroit vs. NY Rangers, Mar. 21 - 518,000

Five Least-Watched NHL on NBCSN Games After Jan. 19, 2012

1. Anaheim vs. Vancouver, Apr. 3 - 132,000 viewers

2. San Jose vs. Los Angeles, Mar. 20 - 134,000

3. Los Angeles vs. San Jose, Apr. 7 - 146,000

4. Los Angeles vs. Tampa Bay, Feb. 7 - 155,000

5. Los Angeles vs. Colorado, Feb. 22 - 166,000

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/18/3888468/nhl-tv-schedule-2013-why-nbcs-schedule-will-pose-problems-even-if

Can't claim 22 games that way though, as they have days off before the first game so no excuses there. I went over your schedule and see ten... so you guys got 4 more than my boys or the Rags. So really you're talking 4 games. Does it suck? Yes... but it has to be related to being the most televised team on NBC though, and THAT would be Snider's influence I'm thinking. Is there money to be made somehow??

It is what it is. Am I really blaming Bettman. Of course not. But it is odd we always get some type of scheduling quirks.

It is what it is. Am I really blaming Bettman. Of course not. But it is odd we always get some type of scheduling quirks.

It is odd, and annoying especially because weekend games with the Flyers tend to be afternoon games. That's not really 'hockey' time in Canada, and doesn't feel right, though I know that it seems to be a 'sports' time for the US watchers and that's who cares about Philly.

On the flip side, we have one of the lightest travel schedules in the league, but that's determined by geography more than human scheduling biases ;)

but nevertheless one team will hoist the cup and have their names engraved as all the rest.

And they'll do it facing the same set of challenges every other Cup-winning team faces except one: 48 games is not the same as 82 games. By any measure. Even allowing for fewer rest days in between, playing a shorter schedule is simply less demanding than playing a longer one. I agree the compressed season puts unique demands on all teams this year but I think the eventual Cup-winner catches a huge break avoiding the 82-game schedule.

The cover charge to get in the POs - 82 games - is a helluva grind. Cup-winning teams not only survive it but make it all the way to April with enough *jam* as Lavy would say (health, motivation, chemistry etc) to then go and win 16 more games - 4 consecutive best-of-7s, each one tougher than the last, which usually entails another 20+ games. It's crazy how hard it is to win the Stanley Cup. But that's (partly) the point: it's so bleeding hard to do.

Granted - whoever wins the Cup this year will earn it the old-fashioned way, by working their butts off for it. But it's a fact their Road To The Cup will be shorter than most other winning teams'.

That out of the way ... I got no problem getting psyched for this season. Right now I'm watching Bob keep the Wings out of his net (every save he makes -and he's making some good ones- another knife in my gut...stupid stupid Flyers' goaltending decisions), flipping over to see JVR getting pushed off the puck (ha!)... both Flyers' games this wknd were fun to watch.

Call me crazy i love watching the best hockey players in the world do what they do.

And they'll do it facing the same set of challenges every other Cup-winning team faces except one: 48 games is not the same as 82 games. By any measure. Even allowing for fewer rest days in between, playing a shorter schedule is simply less demanding than playing a longer one. I agree the compressed season puts unique demands on all teams this year but I think the eventual Cup-winner catches a huge break avoiding the 82-game schedule.

The cover charge to get in the POs - 82 games - is a helluva grind. Cup-winning teams not only survive it but make it all the way to April with enough *jam* as Lavy would say (health, motivation, chemistry etc) to then go and win 16 more games - 4 consecutive best-of-7s, each one tougher than the last, which usually entails another 20+ games. It's crazy how hard it is to win the Stanley Cup. But that's (partly) the point: it's so bleeding hard to do.

Granted - whoever wins the Cup this year will earn it the old-fashioned way, by working their butts off for it. But it's a fact their Road To The Cup will be shorter than most other winning teams'.

That out of the way ... I got no problem getting psyched for this season. Right now I'm watching Bob keep the Wings out of his net (every save he makes -and he's making some good ones- another knife in my gut...stupid stupid Flyers' goaltending decisions), flipping over to see JVR getting pushed off the puck (ha!)... both Flyers' games this wknd were fun to watch.

Call me crazy i love watching the best hockey players in the world do what they do.

Don't forget though, if the grind hasn't taken as much of a toll on them before the playoffs, how hard will these boys be pressing come playoff time?! The battles are always intense, imagine what they'll be like if you're right and they 're healthier and more energized.