Your roster...

Polaris922

I have to admit I'm a little confused. Now I know ALL fan bases do this so I'm not posting this to be critical by any means. But I think your roster is pretty darn solid up front. I think you're blessed in the forwards you have and up and coming talent. I'm saying this because of all the posts I see people talking about "We have to fix this" or "We have to trade for that". I actually think your boys are very well set up front, and no need for tweaking crosses my mind as far as major moves. I know Jagr brought a little extra but nothing one of your young talents couldn't make up with a decent year. And I don't think you're missing his veteran leadership all that much.

Honestly, the only weakness I see in your roster right now is that puck moving defenseman, which is an opinion you are all familiar with by now. How to go about getting one is an issue, I understand, but...

If I were a Flyer fan, I would be happy to watch my boys this year, knowing the experience and time will teach these young guys how to move forward as a core. And I think given a year or two your already formidable roster up front will be stellar.

Just an outsider's two cents.

• Like 4

I hate the fact a Pens fan had to type that. And I agree by the way.

Sorry bud... LOL Not much going on in the Pens forums, and so much more here. I love the sport and just enjoy reading and discussing it. Even with you orange guys ;)

The Flyers have a "nice" team right now, @Polaris922. But there is something significantly missing. They're missing the Gary Roberts/Bill Guerin type. It's just not there.

Knuble has the age but he's not the grizzled warrior type of a Gary Roberts, or even Guerin. Briere has very little actual skill at this point. Hartnell could, but he's too big of a goof. Talbot kind of does it but he's not top 2 lines so it doesn't quite work.

I don't think they should blow anything up. They have a good young core. They do need to work on the defense and then the last piece should be to find that kind of (Roberts) guy. This year, though, they're going to struggle on offense. Just seems like it might be a collective slump year, unless Lavy stops with the bizarre line combos. I'm hoping some of that is being exacerbated by injuries, but the combos still leave me shaking my head.

The Flyers have a "nice" team right now, @Polaris922. But there is something significantly missing. They're missing the Gary Roberts/Bill Guerin type. It's just not there.

Knuble has the age but he's not the grizzled warrior type of a Gary Roberts, or even Guerin. Briere has very little actual skill at this point. Hartnell could, but he's too big of a goof. Talbot kind of does it but he's not top 2 lines so it doesn't quite work.

I don't think they should blow anything up. They have a good young core. They do need to work on the defense and then the last piece should be to find that kind of (Roberts) guy. This year, though, they're going to struggle on offense. Just seems like it might be a collective slump year, unless Lavy stops with the bizarre line combos. I'm hoping some of that is being exacerbated by injuries, but the combos still leave me shaking my head.

Not many teams have that GUerin/Roberts type. Not many of those left, to be honest. The Pens always rented a guy like that for the youth to see... now? Now I dunno where you can get them. Iginla or Doan are out there but too much $$. I think today teams have to find their heart from within.

I think today teams have to find their heart from within.

I suppose so. I know we're only 11 games into a short season, but I really don't know where the offense is going to come from. Even Giroux is hamstrung by the fact Lavy seems intent on saddling him with Briere. Coots is terrific, or will be, but seems like he may have a rough sophomore year.

The future is good and I think the situation calls for patience...I just don't think the future is now.

• Like 1

@Polaris922, thanks for your thoughts. I agree on the puck moving defensemans which is why I was so dissapointed in letting carle go. Is Carle worth the contract he got? Apparently so since that is what the open market gave him. The cost of replacing him, if the Flyers can, may actually be even higher. Supply and defense err. demand.

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm a little confused. Now I know ALL fan bases do this so I'm not posting this to be critical by any means. But I think your roster is pretty darn solid up front. I think you're blessed in the forwards you have and up and coming talent. I'm saying this because of all the posts I see people talking about "We have to fix this" or "We have to trade for that". I actually think your boys are very well set up front, and no need for tweaking crosses my mind as far as major moves. I know Jagr brought a little extra but nothing one of your young talents couldn't make up with a decent year. And I don't think you're missing his veteran leadership all that much.

Honestly, the only weakness I see in your roster right now is that puck moving defenseman, which is an opinion you are all familiar with by now. How to go about getting one is an issue, I understand, but...

If I were a Flyer fan, I would be happy to watch my boys this year, knowing the experience and time will teach these young guys how to move forward as a core. And I think given a year or two your already formidable roster up front will be stellar.

Honestly, this team is 2 defenseman short. Lilja,Foster and Gervais are all 6th or 7th defenseman. As far as the young guy's go, I have a feeling we'll be a couple young guy's short in the near future with trades to upgrade a slow defense

We are Flyers fans! We complain about everything! ;) (just kidding). I don't like our defense, but everyone wants a quick fix. Sadly it takes time for the young kids to get the experience. I do believe we need another threat along the lines of Giroux's caliber to help take some of the pressure off him. As much as I hated Bryz last year, he is not the problem this year.