Briere Not Interested in Waiving NMC

radoran

Rad, Briere has been around the block to know that there is always a possibility for a NHL player to be traded that's why he probably insisted on a nmc in his contract so he could control where he would end up if traded. As for the compliance buyouts, I thought they had to be used before the start of next season?

They can be used after this season OR next season. Pretty big loophole, yes.

He certainly did have the NMC to control where he went - but he was vocal at the time and is vocal now about wanting the stability for his family.

He's also been an important mentor to both Giroux and Couturier.

In the end, he has a No Movement Clause and, again, if he goes anywhere outside of a buyout it will be his decision.

Briere for a wounded defenceman and a fourth. Pinch me. :)

Obvious reason here: The league doesn't want teams to cheat the system and get a player back under a cheaper salary (since the buyout doesn’t count against the salary cap)."

But the whole Lockout and the new CBA was intended to cheat the system that was actively used right until the last day by greedy owners.

But the whole Lockout and the new CBA was intended to cheat the system that was actively used right until the last day by greedy owners.

And they demanded that the players never, ever, ever allow them to do those things again and forced the cancellation of half a season to make sure the players would never, ever, ever allow them to do that again.

The players, of course, being the only people who could stop the owners from doing it.

• Like 1

And they demanded that the players never, ever, ever allow them to do those things again and forced the cancellation of half a season to make sure the players would never, ever, ever allow them to do that again.

The players, of course, being the only people who could stop the owners from doing it.

LOL. I wonder if anything like this was ever thrown in their faces at meetings during the lockout?

LOL. I wonder if anything like this was ever thrown in their faces at meetings during the lockout?

You can't expect "successful businessmen" to do anything but run their businesses into the ground unless the unions stop them.

So allegedly the Flyers are interested in Kevin Shattenkirk from the Blues and Briere is rumored to be the starting piece to that trade idea.

I can't see this happening, but if it did what else would the Flyers have to give up to get Shattenkirk?

This is from the article posted above.

There is no "Briere for Shattenkirk" trade in the works beyond speculation based on that report.

So allegedly the Flyers are interested in Kevin Shattenkirk from the Blues and Briere is rumored to be the starting piece to that trade idea.

I can't see this happening, but if it did what else would the Flyers have to give up to get Shattenkirk?

What else? Braydon Schenn?

This is from the article posted above.

There is no "Briere for Shattenkirk" trade in the works beyond speculation based on that report.

I mentioned it was just a rumor found on mynhltraderumors.com

They were saying that apparently the Blues are interested in Briere based o the fact that Armstrong has met with Holmgrien and has scouted the Flyers 2-3 times.

I thought I made it clear that its a rumor and not a deal in the works. What would it take to get Shattenkirk besides Briere?

I mentioned it was just a rumor found on mynhltraderumors.com

They were saying that apparently the Blues are interested in Briere based o the fact that Armstrong has met with Holmgrien and has scouted the Flyers 2-3 times.

I thought I made it clear that its a rumor and not a deal in the works. What would it take to get Shattenkirk besides Briere?

I asked the same question in the Briere+ for Shattenkirk thread.

But, seriously, literally all of this speculation erupted as a result of Seravalli's article about Briere's NMC that mentioned potential Flyer interest in Shattenkirk (why wouldn't ANY team be interested in Shattenkirk and why would the Blues tradee him?).

That became "Briere is shooting down trade for Shattenkirk" through the magic of the game of "whisper down the lane."

• Like 1

Who would the Blues have that would interest the Flyers, though? You figure Backes and Pietrangelo aren't moving, ditto Halak and Elliot. Jackman's got an NTC and is older. Cole? Polak? Russell? Tarasenko? Are any of these guys a fit on the current incarnation of the Flyers?

@AJgoal Pretty sure, Tarasenko is better than anyone on the Flyers not named Claude. He would give us that elite sniping winger....I'd trade one of our yoiungsters for him, not so sure St.Loius would though.

Sorry, I wouldn't trade Braydon Schenn for him if for the only reason he's NOT Russian. Those guys are about 98% flaky when it comes to the NHL. Maybe he has a Datsyukian heart, but few do. Very few. Schenn beats him in pretty much every dept anyway. 6 g 6 a 12 points -1 16.2 shooting % Schenn is 6 g 12 a 18 points +4 17.1 shooting % Schenn plays center and hits like a truck. same age.

Edited by flyercanuck

Another thing about Briere and his NMC. I get he has the right to refuse since he signed it. I get people agree with that because he wants stability for his family. Why should he have to move a few states over to make millions of dollars and uproot his kids, right?

The part I don't get is, he seemed to have no problem with going over to Germany to play.

The part I don't get is, he seemed to have no problem with going over to Germany to play.

He's trying to stay in game shape during a lockout he had no control over so he can be effective for the team that's locking him out when he gets back on the ice for them.

As I see it, the difference is his level of control. And the term (a few weeks/months) vs. the next two years.

If Briere was talking about "wanting to stay in the KHL" like Ovechkin, I think your point takes on more emphasis.

• Like 1

Yes it is a business and Briere held up his end of the bargain but you can say the same thing about Holmgren and the Flyers. Remember Holmgren added on two years to make the cap hit lower, so instead of Briere getting a 6 year deal worth $47 or $48 million, he signed an 8 year deal for $52 million. So Briere knew full well that he was going to get his $47 million in the first 6 years, and there was a possibility of him being traded. But going into next season, the Flyers will have to shed payroll to get under the cap ceiling and buying out Briere would make sense.

Lindbergh31:

100% agree. I think the Flyers would be wise to respect Brier. He has been a good soldier and a good organization guy. But the time to move him to a playoff contender looking to improve down the center is now. And the Flyers do need that payroll shed.

BOI

Lindbergh31:

100% agree. I think the Flyers would be wise to respect Brier. He has been a good soldier and a good organization guy. But the time to move him to a playoff contender looking to improve down the center is now. And the Flyers do need that payroll shed.

BOI

And you are back to Briere has NO INTEREST in any trade and a NMC. Briere is a shoe in for the buy out because his actual cost versus the cap hit. He is 3 mil and 2 mil for the next consecutive seasons so 5 mil versus the 13 mil cap hit. Briere is not stupid, he has to see this coming unless his NMC covers him being bought out too......Homer has set the precedent for stupid NMC's......

Thanks FC, I wasn't sure when they had to use them. On a side note, it was a good game between the Barrie Colts and Sudbury Wolves last week. The Colts look strong.

I think I read that the compliance buy out works in this manner ....

The teams get 2, they can use them both this year, or both next year, or one in each year