Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

Lucic has sucked this year guys, maybe just a one year thing, but the troubling part is a distinct lack of effort (ie not driving to the net like he used to etc).,...he has a whopping 5 goals this year, I suspect the Bruins management has grown tired of the whole thing. Of course he still has value, but they are deep enough at forward to give up the younger Lucic for a warrior like Iggy. Lucic is only effective when he is driving the net, using his size to his advantage, and he has not been doing that with any regularity this season. Oddly enough I seen him drive to the net and score just this week, that's when the announcer piped in how long it had been since they saw that.Thow in the fact he always seems to underpreform in the playoffs, you have the seeds that planted this trade. He has 32 career pts in 62 playoff games, and has never scored more than 5 goals in a single playoff year. Pretty underwhelming stats if you ask me, esp when you factor in the long SC winning drive.

@jammer2

I have never liked Iginla, so there's that. I hated every single time his name came up as a trade idea to the Flyers. That aside, the guy is like 50 years old and I don't like him for the eastern conference. I just think trading a 25 year old who has proven himself before but is having an off year for a geriatric is something Boneheadgren would do. I mean, fine, just hand Pittsburgh the Cup. I don't have a horse in this race, so I don't really care, but it would have been nice to at least give them a challenge along the way. This is just flat out stupid.

@ruxpin See, I think the opposite, Iggy is older yes, but is faster, works harder and makes a wonderful teammate. The other thing is the fights, Iggy does not care who he fights, he will take anybody on....Milan on the other hand, is famous for picking undersized opponents, basically fights he knows he can win. I don't think to many of his teammates respect that. I've seen Milan get punched in the face and walk away, cause the other guy is a goon, and would present a danger to Milan's face. The Bruins *with* Iggy, that's your ticket to beating the Pens.....easily the best option for them winning the cup.

Funny, I respect the HELL out of Iggy, would never say anything bad about him.....he's a living walking hero in my eyes.....the epitome of a heart and soul player, that just happens to bag a minimum of 30 goals a year.

I'm lost for words with the "can't carry his jockstrap comment" rux.....did you know Iggy has scored 30 goals every year for 11 straight seasons, that he has outscored (both goals and points) Lucic every single year....actually Lucic has never come close to him. 11 straight years, and the two years before that, he scored 29 and 28 goals respectively....that is INSANE consistant production. Many great HOF'ers can't claim to have done that...and that is *exactly* where Iggy is going after he retires.....straight to the HOF. A cup would be nice, but great players make it without the cup win, ie Marcel Dionne etc....but the cup, that would cement things for sure.

@ruxpin See, I think the opposite, Iggy is older yes, but is faster, works harder and makes a wonderful teammate. The other thing is the fights, Iggy does not care who he fights, he will take anybody on....Milan on the other hand, is famous for picking undersized opponents, basically fights he knows he can win. I don't think to many of his teammates respect that. I've seen Milan get punched in the face and walk away, cause the other guy is a goon, and would present a danger to Milan's face. The Bruins *with* Iggy, that's your ticket to beating the Pens.....easily the best option for them winning the cup.

Funny, I respect the HELL out of Iggy, would never say anything bad about him.....he's a living walking hero in my eyes.....the epitome of a heart and soul player, that just happens to bag a minimum of 30 goals a year.

I'm lost for words with the "can't carry his jockstrap comment" rux.....did you know Iggy has scored 30 goals every year for 11 straight seasons, that he has outscored (both goals and points) Lucic every single year....actually Lucic has never come close to him. 11 straight years, and the two years before that, he scored 29 and 28 goals respectively....that is INSANE consistant production. Many great HOF'ers can't claim to have done that...and that is *exactly* where Iggy is going after he retires.....straight to the HOF. A cup would be nice, but great players make it without the cup win, ie Marcel Dionne etc....but the cup, that would cement things for sure.

I've just NEVER liked the guy. But I'm not Canadian, so....

Actually, you know what I think it is? I think it's the stench of the Calgary Flames for me. I never like Theo, either.

'm lost for words with the "can't carry his jockstrap comment" rux.....did you know Iggy has scored 30 goals every year for 11 straight seasons,

I did say "at this point in his career." I mean, it still may have been wrong, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the 11 straight seasons things.

@ruxpin ahh, my bad...didn't see the "at this point" thingy.....but he is outscoring him 9 goals to 5 right now. Lucic is playing so bad right now, he was demoted to the 3rd line this week, for the first time since his rookie season...so I don't think Claude Julien agrees with your theory....lol.

@jammer2

From what I'm reading, Lucic isn't involved in the trade.

I don't know enough about these guys to have an opinion:

"TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie believes that defenceman Matt Bartkowski, prospect Alexander Khokhlachev, and a conditional first-round draft pick are headed to Calgary in return, with the first rounder conditional on Iginla re-signing with the Bruins."

But I think that's better for both sides. Calgary needs prospects and no salary coming back. Boston needs to add but not shed if they can. I know Lucic is having a rough time, but he'll be fine. Enough that I don't move him at the deadline for someone a decade+ older.

@ruxpin I don't know to much about Bartkowski, but Khokhlachev is a Windsor Spitfire, have seen him play a lot. He's a smaller european winger, but plays with grit, goes to the tough areas etc....has a great set of hands, skates quite well, he will make Calgary next year, but don't know if he would have made the Bruins. Even though he is is tough for a smaller European, he strikes me as a top six type in the NHL, don't think his toughness at the OHL level would translate well to the NHL. Hope this helps....lol.

Thanks, @jammer2, it does.

I think this trade is more in line with what Calgary needs to be doing right now. Complete rebuild from the bottom. Wonder if Kipper is next, but I don't think there seems to be much of a market for old goaltenders (although it's been a week or two since Garth Snow traded for one, so you never know).

as reported on tsn.ca:

Staring down the prospect of the team's first early summer since 2007, the Philadelphia Flyers may be looking to upgrade on the blue line in hopes of making up the current seven point gap between 14th and eighth in the East.

Philadelphia Daily News reporter Frank Seravelli reports that the Flyers' brass was recently spotted in Minnesota. GM Paul Holmgren and director of hockey operations Chris Pryor were spotted in the Land of 10,000 Lakes scouting not only the NCAA but the Wild's recent tilt against the San Jose Sharks.

The Sharks have already moved Douglas Murray and rumours persist that Dan Boyle could be moved, but Seravelli believes the object of the Flyers' affection is six-foot-five defender Brent Burns.

Burns would be a longer commitment than Boyle by virtue of his four remaining years at $5 million-plus and Seravelli sees him as a perfect fit for a Philly reclamation project.

1st, Brent Burns is 6-5? 2nd, I rememeber him being drafted in Minny and was highly touted. I haven't really followed him at all.

Not that this is *news*, but thought I'd post it here for posterity ;)

CSNPHILLY.COM: Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros is sidelined indefinitely once again with a shoulder injury.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: That will effectively kill any talk of Meszaros being moved at the trade deadline.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21953481/philadelphia-flyers-trade-rumors-trade-deadline-outlook

This article is just a whole lotta bad news with no solutions or suggestions. Thanks, CBS.

With the 2013 NHL trade deadline at 3 p.m. ET April 3, Eye on Hockey will examine whether each team is a buyer or seller at the deadline, and who teams should look to sell or receive.

Buyers or sellers

Honestly, who really knows with the Philadelphia Flyers?

With Paul Holmgren, nothing is off limits or out of the question, and if there is a general manager in the league who isn't afraid to do something bold, it's him. He's like the new Mike Milbury (only better at the job) who seems to want to make as many blockbuster trades as he can. They're probably not going to the playoffs this season, but would it still be a shock to anybody to see them do something to add a player before the deadline?

Rumors

There's been a lot of them, with many of them focusing on defense.

San Jose's Dan Boyle was a name that recently came into play, as well as Phoenix's Keith Yandle, who always seems to be on the trading block, and Calgary's Jay Bouwmeester. Danny Briere's name was brought up a couple of months ago but he's not only out with a concussion, he made it clear he can't see himself playing for anybody other than the Flyers (he also has a no-trade clause).

Potential Targets

If I had to pick the three biggest areas of need in Philadelphia, they would be 1) defense, 2) defense, and 3) defense.

And if you want to make that list go four deep you can add defense to it.

The Flyers have had no trouble over the years drafting and developing forwards (or acquiring them via trade) but they've been the exact opposite when it comes to the blue line. With Chris Pronger out and likely not coming back, there's a massive hole in the Philadelphia defense and there don't seem to be any quick fixes coming in the pipeline.

Kimmo Timonen is still good and coming back next season, but he's not getting any younger. They traded for Luke Schenn during the offseason with the hope that he would become the shutdown defenseman everybody always imagined he would, but they paid a steep price to get him (James van Riemsdyk) and it's a trade that hasn't really worked out in Philadelphia's favor.

If the Coyotes ever decide to really make Yandle available (and now that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is signed long-term, maybe they will) there probably isn't another team in the league that could use him more than Philadephia, but he would not be cheap to acquire.

Goaltending depth could also be bolstered. The Ilya Bryzgalov experiment hasn't worked out, and making matters worse is the fact the Flyers have nobody behind him after trading Sergei Bobrosvky to Columbus over the summer.