Beer league Defense and Bryz aside, how about our Captain

Samifan

I've been frustrated with him lately as well... Yes... he's collected his points on the powerplay.

BUT... show up 5 on 5 sometime! There have been plenty of times in the past 10 games where someone needed to take the team on their back for a shift or 2. Luckily, Simmonds has been willing to do it.

I don't expect G to be a top-3 player in the league or anything, but I expect more than this.

There have been plenty of times in the past 10 games where someone needed to take the team on their back for a shift or 2. Luckily, Simmonds has been willing to do it.

Agreed. Barely heard G's name called the past two games

Maybe he needs to sit in the press box one game. He did not bring even a d game to the table let alone an A one. We need him to be the leader by example if gets to look down on the play he might say they need me and show up next game.

Edited by Phlyer1

Maybe he needs to sit in the press box one game. He did not bring even a d game to the table let alone an A one. We need him to be the leader by example if gets to look down on the play he might say they need me and show up next game.

There is absolutely ZERO chance he sits for a game. Zero. I know what you're saying, but it just won't happen.

I could see Lavi giving his ice-time a cut, or having him miss a shift or two, but scratching him? Nope.

Edited by fishbulb

our best player is voracek

and, timo should be wearing the "C"

as for giroux, his defense has been terrible: many times loafing back, blind passes through center ice. really disappointing.

maybe that was why pronger was always on him....

There is absolutely ZERO chance he sits for a game. Zero. I know what you're saying, but it just won't happen.

I could see Lavi giving his ice-time a cut, or having him miss a shift or two, but scratching him? Nope.

one of the flyers' weakness as an organization is lack of accountability.

tortorella has no fear of benching ANYONE, whereas here in philly certain guys can do no wrong: carter, richards, briere, giroux, read (another invisible game by him. why is he on the top line again?), couturier...

the only guy to lose ice time because of his play is hartnell.

Edited by caluso

Never really thought about the benching/accountability issue like that... gotta say though that there must be a more moderate comparison than Torts.. he's so polar opposite of what is going on. Also, his methods don't exactly work all the time or for long time. He's the modern day Keenan.

I do wish there was more accountability though. I think it starts at the top. To bench/criticize a player seems to be taken as a slight towards Homer... which is taken as a slight to Snider... and therefore not done.

our best player is voracek

and, timo should be wearing the "C"

as for giroux, his defense has been terrible: many times loafing back, blind passes through center ice. really disappointing.

maybe that was why pronger was always on him....

all valid points! Snider and Homer never should have rushed him into the "C".

Giroux has to forget he is on the cover of a video game and get back to being the player he was last year!

Edited by Samifan

G is drawing top D, and has historically struggled against it. Maybe he's better suited as a #2?

Also, I don't think you bench based on stats. Effort matters. G, Read, and especially B Schenn are in various states of snake bitten, not from a lack of trying.

I just want him to carry the puck more instead of just shooting. If he starts looping around the net a bit more and keeps the puck on his stick he'll be able to generate so much more offense. I've always taken issue with the blind just shoot it mentality. It's fine for your average players but when you are capable of possessing the puck and making plays there are times where going wide and setting up a possession is preferred to a one and done shot.

The other thing is I think there's been too much line shuffling around Giroux, pick a top line and give it a chance to gel.

My two cents I could be talked out of the latter point

G is drawing top D, and has historically struggled against it. Maybe he's better suited as a #2?

Also, I don't think you bench based on stats. Effort matters. G, Read, and especially B Schenn are in various states of snake bitten, not from a lack of trying.

Agree. It is tough to score 5 on 5 when opponents make you the entire focus of their defensive game plan. There is no other consistent threat up front right now.

Why not give an extended look at a Simmonds, G, and Voracek line? I imagine that would be very difficult to fully defend, and may increase space for the offense to work (read: G and Voracek buffer space). I like Hartnell, but Simmonds actually has better puck handling. Wayne has pleasantly surprised me this season with an occasional slice past a defender - clearly a bonus for a guy best suited for putting his rear end on the goalie's nose.

Copy that line combination mold to line two with Hartnell, Schenn, and Read, hopefully yielding similar positive results.

I'd leave the alumni line alone, because quite frankly, it works. They (Knuble and Feds) are so slow, but skilled. They just know where the other is going, and move themselves complimentarily.

@caluso "one of the flyers' weakness as an organization is lack of accountability."

THIS....I want a coach with JAM....is he scared of backlash???....LAVI needs to GOOOOOOOO!!! Our real troubles started when Briere started giving 0 effort and was not disciplined with a benching....then the laziness caught on like wildfire!!

one of the flyers' weakness as an organization is lack of accountability.

tortorella has no fear of benching ANYONE, whereas here in philly certain guys can do no wrong: carter, richards, briere, giroux, read (another invisible game by him. why is he on the top line again?), couturier...

the only guy to lose ice time because of his play is hartnell.

The Great Tortilla is one of the best coaches in the league but unfortunately has a short shelf life because all these under 35 players today need their Momma. Bench Giroux period. CP20 will be coaching next year. There will be no additions to the defense but there will be a differnt "attitude". Probably a forward pick, that's it. A lot of the scrubbs you see playing the last 5 games will play in next years 82 game schedule.

LOL ....

we all saw it coming and just like some in this thread, we made excuses and defended it.... the Flyers rushed (ONCE AGAIN) to make a young player captain!

How many times does this have to happen before a franchise figures it out? wait...don't answer that...this is the Flyers. Giroux was regarded as one of the top three or four best players in the league last season. A player like that does not get benched. Players like that are usually named Crosby and Ovechkin. People need to stop making excuses for this kid. He is playing bad and needs to get his game back. Its too late to take the precious "C" from him. The Flyers screwed that one up already. Now what needs to happen is Giroux needs to be accountable to himself and get back to form. However, I hope he doesn't do that until next season ;)

The Great Tortilla is one of the best coaches in the league but unfortunately has a short shelf life because all these under 35 players today need their Momma. Bench Giroux period. CP20 will be coaching next year. There will be no additions to the defense but there will be a differnt "attitude". Probably a forward pick, that's it. A lot of the scrubbs you see playing the last 5 games will play in next years 82 game schedule.

Unless there is some sort of change in the LTIR laws or there is a compliance buyout, I don't think Pronger's going to be coaching anyone until 2018 at the earliest.