I vote for Mason

rickmac19

I admit, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, but he looked sharp, competitive, quick, hungry, and desiring to unseat Bryzgalov as the team's number-one goaltender tonight.

He obviously played well enough to win in Buffalo. The Rangers teed up some pretty good opportunities, but I didn't really worry. I get a little nervous when skaters bear down on Bryzgalov like that. Mason looks ready to kick shots out or snap them up.

He's given up three goals in three games plus a period. I'd push him out there again on Thursday.

I'm not trying to bring the Bryzgalov buyout question to a head, but maybe Mason could take the thinking out of why the Flyers would pay so much money to a player who does not carry the team.

I really have enjoyed watching Lauridsen and tonight, Manning play. I think Lauridsen has to play on opening night next year.

The Flyers beat two playoff teams despite the "set-up" schedule and looked like a playoff team themselves. Let's hope this carries over with the younger players to next year.

Youth and maddening inconsistency go together--we all realize this, right?

Rangers/Jets will have to bank less than 5 points in 5 games with the Flyers winning out for the Flyers to squeak into the playoffs. Rags play Fla,Buf,NJ,Fla,Car and the Jets play Car,NYI,Buf,Wsh,Mon.......I am not seeing very good odds for the Flyers to make it in and if they do get help from Buf, they are ahead of us in the standings by 1 point anyways....Not saying it won't happen, just saying the odds are VERY long.......

I agree. I think a change of scenery is what he needed to recapture some of the rookie magic. Worst case if he gives who the same stats as Bryz (with the added dimension of puck handling).

Granted it has only been a few games but given the needs in other areas and the cap hit we can save I let Bryz walk and make Mason my number one.

I also agree. Mason is much more athletic and puts himself in better position to stop a rebound or second shot.

I think of Bryz as a one shot goalie. He is usually good for just one stop in a sequence. If he gives up a rebound, he typically is not athletic enough to get himself in position for a second shot.

• Like 1

have we gone through this road before with leighton, bob, biron, yeah they were speculator goalies then they arent what we thought they were, then they strugglied. ok say you want bryz gone, who's your backup then? if mason turns out another boucher/leighton that cant be a starter and you can bring in a backup that's not good and mason starts all the games like bryz/bob, he strugglies then what? this team is in major hole with two goalies to fill after next year, plus there's probably not going to be a starter in fa this year or next year. dont care about fa list because those teams will resign their goalies.

@toughfighter83

The part you're not understanding is Bryzgalovs caphit. We can find a goalie off the scrapheap that has the same skills as Bryz for a fifth of the caphit. That's $ 4Million or so opened up for another player. Or $5 million + for a goalie who's actually worth that. Almost every team in the league has a BACKUP with better numbers than Bryz. Including us.

• Like 2

@toughfighter83

The part you're not understanding is Bryzgalovs caphit. We can find a goalie off the scrapheap that has the same skills as Bryz for a fifth of the caphit. That's $ 4Million or so opened up for another player. Or $5 million + for a goalie who's actually worth that. Almost every team in the league has a BACKUP with better numbers than Bryz. Including us.

like who you tell me?

Edited by toughfighter83

Who? There's 45 goalies in the NHL with better stats than him. What did Mason cost us? A bum and a 3rd? It's not hard to replace the "talent" or "skillset" that Bryz brings. I could probably find it in my garage.

Like a shooter-tutor?

I actually value those boxes more than Bryz...just in case I ever upgrade the ol' 2 channel system. The cooler though, it's pretty sturdy. Has no 5 hole. It moves about as good as Bryz and has the same puckhandling skills, skating ability and glove hand.

I don't know but I got a good feeling and I think Mason might actually be our guy of the future in net. I like his style, got a good feeling about this one guys. Change of scenery might of been what just the doctor ordered here for Mason.

have we gone through this road before with leighton, bob, biron, yeah they were speculator goalies then they arent what we thought they were, then they strugglied. ok say you want bryz gone, who's your backup then? if mason turns out another boucher/leighton that cant be a starter and you can bring in a backup that's not good and mason starts all the games like bryz/bob, he strugglies then what? this team is in major hole with two goalies to fill after next year, plus there's probably not going to be a starter in fa this year or next year. dont care about fa list because those teams will resign their goalies.

Valid first point, but why settle for mediocrity? Reward comes after risk, and established guys aren't going anywhere. Mason is young and has the physical tools. Why not see if he can develop?

Valid first point, but why settle for mediocrity? Reward comes after risk, and established guys aren't going anywhere. Mason is young and has the physical tools. Why not see if he can develop?

come on, there's a reason why mason got beat out for the starting job with bob in columbus, it's track records, he wasnt good when he was a starter in columbus meaning he couldnt handle the pressure. now, you get rid of bryz, then you play mason in 60 games then he turns into leighton/bob, what's your backup plan if he's not a starter? the reason why they got bryz because he was a starter, there are no starters out there and you are stuck with waver wire goalies until another good starting goalie comes up.

bryz is a not a great goalie but he's not leighton/boucher when he's letting in five hole goals otherwise lav wouldnt start him at all in over 20 games and the organization would have gotten another goalie a long time ago.

bryz is a not a great goalie but he's not leighton/boucher when he's letting in five hole goals otherwise lav wouldnt start him at all in over 20 games and the organization would have gotten another goalie a long time ago.

if only...

if only any of that were actually true. I guess one part is: "brzy is not a great goalie" An understatement to be sure but true nonetheless.

bryz is a not a great goalie .

The problem is, he's being paid like one. For a long, long time.

I like Zac Rinaldo as an energy player. If he made $5.5 million a year and was signed for 10 years I don't think I'd be much of a fan.

come on, there's a reason why mason got beat out for the starting job with bob in columbus, it's track records, he wasnt good when he was a starter in columbus meaning he couldnt handle the pressure. now, you get rid of bryz, then you play mason in 60 games then he turns into leighton/bob, what's your backup plan if he's not a starter? the reason why they got bryz because he was a starter, there are no starters out there and you are stuck with waver wire goalies until another good starting goalie comes up.

Mason admitted he needed a change of scenery. They have a culture of losing, and no defense. That's got to be tough on a young goalie trying to break into the league. Remember how happy Carter was to go to Columbus? After he cried his way out, Nash saw the light and escaped too. I don't think Mason's struggles have anything to do with pressure. If it did, no way he signs a contract in Philly, but he signed a cap friendly deal to prove himself. He just got tired of playing on a garbage team that never really put forth a good faith effort to ice something conpetitive.

Sidenote: Bob seems to be a rare, sane, goalie. His mental strength is really remarkable, so far. Bob came in fresh and hungry, Mason was damaged.

So, Mason gets a fresh start in Philly. Why not keep an open mind? How else do you find a good goalie if you don't try people out?

Mason admitted he needed a change of scenery. They have a culture of losing, and no defense. That's got to be tough on a young goalie trying to break into the league. Remember how happy Carter was to go to Columbus? After he cried his way out, Nash saw the light and escaped too. I don't think Mason's struggles have anything to do with pressure. If it did, no way he signs a contract in Philly, but he signed a cap friendly deal to prove himself. He just got tired of playing on a garbage team that never really put forth a good faith effort to ice something conpetitive.

Sidenote: Bob seems to be a rare, sane, goalie. His mental strength is really remarkable, so far. Bob came in fresh and hungry, Mason was damaged.

So, Mason gets a fresh start in Philly. Why not keep an open mind? How else do you find a good goalie if you don't try people out?

because its risky, if he doesnt pan out, then this team will have to find two new goalies and you dont know what the goalies are, yeah mason says i want a change in sceney, but this is philly they are tough on goalies, it doesnt matter who, if they are not perfect they ride them out of town.

I understand in a way, imagine being a young millionarie trolling for babes, do you want to cruise up the main street in New York, LA or Columbus? LOL, not much of a choice there. Thing is, they get to see the nightlife in all the other cities, so Columbus has to be a let down in that capacity. Throw in the losing (besides the last few months) and you have a recipe for wanting to get the hell out. I do think Columbus is trending upwards though, they may be even to convince UFA's to come without getting vastly overpaid for it. A playoff run would do the Jackets and thier fan base wonders.

@jammer2

two words buddy : college tang.

there is no shortage of honeys in Columbus.

Even though the Buckeyes rule supreme there are still easy and fine looking puck bunnies around.

Philly has that and isn't far from NYC or the shore. Remember the Center City Crew, and two marriages that coincidentally fell apart?

because its risky, if he doesnt pan out, then this team will have to find two new goalies and you dont know what the goalies are, yeah mason says i want a change in sceney, but this is philly they are tough on goalies, it doesnt matter who, if they are not perfect they ride them out of town.

So we primarily disagree on the risk? I'm okay with that.

Philly honors a work ethic. Bobrovsky was not run out of town. He worked hard, and got better seemingly game to game, and significantly month to month based on biggest weaknesses.

Philly needed two new goalies BEFORE Mason got here. What harm is there in bringing him in?