Briere Solution

caluso

So you want a team to make a hockey trade for briere. Then pay out five million dollars to buy him out and then philly resigns him? Great idea I guess. However, I'm done with briere. He is only a good player when he plays his center position. We have young kids at center that we need to let grow. G , Schenn,coots,and Laughton are our young guys in the center position. Now I do see coots being dangled for a top two dman and Laughton replacing him. But the way coots has been playing lately I wouldn't move him.

The flyers would need to give up value i.e. picks or take back another bad contract which may need to be bought out. It is an interesting option but I just can't see it happenning even if it was allowed. Nice thinking outside the box but I don't want to see him in O&B next year. Nothing mallicous, they just need to go their separate ways (yes I am listening to journey right now).

I wonder if the Flyers can trade Briere to another team before the buyout date, have that other team amnesty Briere, and then re-sign Briere here in Philly for a much lower rate?

I have been a huge Danny fan for a while but after watching him play man have his skillz eroded...his hands have seemed to turn to stone he just fumbles the puck all over the place...just can't conrol it it may have to do with his wrist surgery but he had been removed from that long enough to not have the problems that i have seen from him.

Last night was a perfect example Schenn made a pass around the boards to him last night in their own zone that made it to him and what does he do?????

Fumbled it out to the slot area where one of the Canes fired it on net for a goal...

...that is what has become of Danny his playmaking skills just are not there anymore....and he may not ever recover them...time to move on.

Ya, I want the veteran player who already banked his money then took the entire season off to come back

FC it's not to me that Danny took the year off...he has tried hard to me it's just he doesn't have it anymore(his puck control is bad hands have turned to stone it seems)...his skillz have eroded quicker than anyone that comes to mind lately....sad but true.

So with that said i wish him all the luck except when he plays the Flyers but it is time to move on...buh bye Danny!

@OccamsRazor

I see him trying lately because he knows he's likely playing for a contract again. He wasn't the only guy out there who didn't show up this season. But for a guy with his time in the league, and his bank account fattened by the Flyers organization, he's one of the ones that should be most ashamed at his own contribution this year.

• Like 1

I see him trying lately because he knows he's likely playing for a contract again.

I've been a Danny supporter for awile now but he can't play RW cause he sucks along the boards he can't win puck battles and he just turns the puck over over and over...

...his office behind the net was his sweet spot and now it seems like he has lost that touch...so to keep from just "finding a spot for him it's time to play more of their youth and natual RWers and their natural spots...

...i thank him for his time grooming G and Coots but his time is up here...someone like St. Louie would be a good spot for him as theri 3rd line center...it is where he needs to be if he is to be effective again...i wish him well.

He is just the obvious choice to go...

• Like 1

I understand it was a throwaway year. Hardly anyone in the O&B seemed to skate hard and with a purpose most nights. That's why a lousy goaltender like Bryzgalov stood out as the "best Flyer" that first month. But that's no excuse for a $6+ million player to float all season. Briere gave us some big-time goals, especially in that miracle 2010 PO run. And by all accounts he's a great guy, a good mentor and a class act. But I have to wonder how all those "accounts" leave out how he was totally invisible for 90% of this season...The 10%, now that he needs a gig for next year doesn't make up for it, not at all.

So you want a team to make a hockey trade for briere. Then pay out five million dollars to buy him out and then philly resigns him? Great idea I guess. However, I'm done with briere. He is only a good player when he plays his center position. We have young kids at center that we need to let grow. G , Schenn,coots,and Laughton are our young guys in the center position. Now I do see coots being dangled for a top two dman and Laughton replacing him. But the way coots has been playing lately I wouldn't move him.

I agree with everything you said. I would just amnesty Briere and move forward and build around the youth we have. There are not many teams that can boast of having young guys the caliber of Giroux, Jake, Simmonds, Schenn and Couterier.

• Like 1

@caluso

Man calu, that's why I enjoy this forum, when a thought can come into focus and was not in the box. I applaud you for that. I think we could do that with L.A. and maybe a draft pick for Bernier, and maybe considerations.

Though I would want Briere back here, next year, but I would have a feeling he would like it in L.A.

I don't think Danny has hidden away, as to more he has been juggled at position.

I say this with a poignant stare face. You put Hartnell/Briere/Voacek on a line next year, and see how the goals will flow.

I posted lines in another thread and still stand by them.

Imagine having Briere with a 2.5 cap hit per year. You want to stay in Philly after Philly has been good to you....Be good to Philly ehhh'

If I'm wrong, I'll skate with the ice girls for a game.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

@caluso

Man calu, that's why I enjoy this forum, when a thought can come into focus and was not in the box. I applaud you for that. I think we could do that with L.A. and maybe a draft pick for Bernier, and maybe considerations.

Though I would want Briere back here, next year, but I would have a feeling he would like it in L.A.

I don't think Danny has hidden away, as to more he has been juggled at position.

I say this with a poignant stare face. You put Hartnell/Briere/Voacek on a line next year, and see how the goals will flow.

I posted lines in another thread and still stand by them.

Imagine having Briere with a 2.5 cap hit per year. You want to stay in Philly after Philly has been good to you....Be good to Philly ehhh'

If I'm wrong, I'll skate with the ice girls for a game.

-- Huh?!?!?!? Look, I think Danny is a class act but he is not going to pile on goals. He scored more than 30 twice and more than 20 in what - 7or 8 seasons... Father time has caught up and not worth the current cap hit. I would love to see him successful but his cap $$ could be used in so many better ways. He has only averaged 15 gols per year w/ the Flyers. Not worth the $$$

@murraycraven

I see where your going with this, but I know someone else brought up the point that, Briere is only good for the playoffs and that what good does it do if we're not in it. What's the point of having him.

I don't know how long some of the posters have been Flyer fans, and I know some have been for a long time because they can recollect my points that I bring out from the past. But this is it in a nut shell:

You need certain talents to have a greater chance in the playoffs. ( I can clearly remember players that where nobodies during the regular season and all of a sudden became lethal during the playoff season...aka Claude Lemieux as an example).

1. We need a game changeing goalie. (Mason? who knows too soon)

2. We need a team to play defense. (Didn't happen this year, along with bad outlet/support passing)

3. We need a team to contribute offense(defensement included) 5 on 5 and Special Units. (Our D helped little, Mez was our catalyst/Timo did toward end.)

4. We need role players to support the team.(Fedetenko, Talbot, Simmons(skillful/talent),Zac(hits/untangebles) and a few others possibly)

5. Playoff snipers can get you to the next round.(The only actual snipers with a history was Briere, and Gagne, Hartnell was becoming an anomaly, G was takeing steps towards it, with a young Read and a glimpse of B. Schenn, Jake? the book is still out on him, but it's becoming an interesting read now.)

6. Mental resiliency to comeback from setbacks.(Not this year, one of Richard nice traits.)

7. Sacrifice your body for the greater cause.(Team was sporadic, but we were showing this with Grossmann, L.Schenn, and Timo.)

These are just a few main points for a team to consider if they are serious about winning the cup.

Now are all these points needed? The probabilities of making it to the finals and then winning it won't be in your favor without them, but it can happen.

Case in point. I think we had more of those points then Chicago did, yet they came out on top, because of bounces going there way and us not capitalizing on ours.

Now if some of you were GMs and you want to go with buyouts and trade for youth in mind. Then the Cup is not for you any time in the near future.

And you need to walk the walk.

Maybe there should be a head count: who is in it to rebuild, and who is in it to win it now.

The ones in it for now, will always be of the mindset of looking for the missing piece.

The ones that are in to rebuild, can't get ruffled to easily when young players are still going through growing pains.

We can't have it both ways, and unfortunately The brass has made a murky line so that this is not clear. And they haven't put out a product to let us know which way they're headed.

I don't blame anyone but them, whether good intentions(offer sheets) or not(no contingency plans), that is the product they assembled this year.

This next season will be more telling of the indicator of the state of Philadelphia Hockey, than the year we looked at the Playoffs from an outside window.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

I'm still *very*, *very* suspicious of that concussion which prevented him from being dealt at the deadline.....and then the deadlines passes and WHAM, PRESTO, Danny is good to go.....that is mighty fishy!!

The only way Briere will get traded now is if someone is desperate to get to the cap floor before next season starts. It's a shame that he was "injured" before the deadline. While I also appreciate his playoff contributions, it really is time to move on. I don't think it does much good for the locker room to have grossly overpaid (even cap-wise) players sitting beside you taking up huge pieces of the payroll pie and contributing little.

It sure didn't hurt the Habs when they got rid of Gomez.