Playoff predictions?

Guest Hockey Junkie

I think Montreal will be out fast,. They are beyond lucky to be in in my opinion. I think the Penguins are a mess right now. Proof enough is the Sabres swept them and beat them in Pittsburgh last two, and did it in style.

I would never thought I would say I would fear Washington. But right now, they could win the East and so too could the Rangres. I hope the Rangers get beat.

The West will win. Period. There are at least 4 or 5 teams in the West IMO that can beat any team in the East. To me it will come downt to Chicago with their firepower, St Lois with their defense and balance and Vancouver who has Kesler back and he could be a key player.

So what do you all think? I do not think a repeat is likely and now the Kings have a poison on their team named Robyn Regehr. They must have missed the films where every time the puck was behind Miller, there was Regehr standing there watching. He killed us.

II cannot decide between Chicago, St Louis and Vancouver in the West. Ill pick Washington in the East to get there.

The Pens win the East.. and the only team in the West I think have even odds against them are the Blackhawks. The Pens are HARDLY a mess... they've lost two meaningless games in a row seriously depleted by injury. All but Crosby will play today and that is nothing but time to get their rhythm back.

We had the opportunity for some pretty cool match-ups in the first round. We had the possibility of either Montreal vs. Toronto or Montreal vs. Boston.

We end up with Toronto vs. Boston. Okay, so it's not the Kansas City Royals vs. the Houston Astros, but of the three possibilities this was in third place.

Pittsburgh vs. Ottawa Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This should be Pittsburgh in a walk. I'm sorry, but teams don't get much more boring to watch than Ottawa. Or cities for that matter.

Montreal vs. Islanders It's not like Montreal has to beg for ticket sales, but the PR/Marketing department had to be foaming at the mouth at the possibility of either Toronto or Boston. The hockey just for the sake of hockey might not end up being horrible, but it certainly doesn't have the sizzle value. Islanders in 6.

Washington vs. Rangers Most will probably disagree with me because I guess it seems like an interesting match up on paper. For me, though, any playoff series involving Washington just doesn't hold any interest. None whatsoever. And their fans might be the dumbest damn fans in the league. Rangers in 6, but who really cares?

Boston vs. Toronto Definitely the best of a sad sack crop of match-ups. Two original six teams (to expound on the obvious). Toronto should be looking to make the most of their once/decade playoff appearance, so this one at least has the possibility of being fun. Toronto wins in 6 with JVR and Lupul leading the way. This also opens the door for Pittsburgh to sleep walk until the finals.

Of the teams in, and from a marketing standpoint, I would have prefered:

Pittsburgh/Washington

Toronto/Ottawa

Islanders/Rangers

Boston/Montreal

It was never going to set up to be exactly that, but at least some of it would have been a helluvalot more fun. (since I'm dreaming, Pitt/Philly would have even been better)

Boston vs. Toronto Definitely the best of a sad sack crop of match-ups. Two original six teams (to expound on the obvious). Toronto should be looking to make the most of their once/decade playoff appearance, so this one at least has the possibility of being fun. Toronto wins in 6 with JVR and Lupul leading the way. This also opens the door for Pittsburgh to sleep walk until the finals.

JVR and Lupul leading the way?!?! :blink: Where the heck are they going.........

• Like 1

I don't think it's fully set yet is it?? I think the Bost/Ott game tonight can still affect the way teams are matched. If Boston wins, it'll be Tor/Mtl... unless I'm missing something?

No, you're right. And if Ottawa wins tonight then it changes the other two series because it would be Ottawa vs. Montreal and Pens/Isles. I actually forgot they were still playing tonight.

It all comes down to tonight, only one series has been decided. Personally, I would not want to face the Senators if I was one of the big boyzz, Anderson has gotten healthy, Karlsson made a miracle comeback, Conacher coming aboard, Spezza back, yeah, I know they are a lower seed but they would scare the hell out of me.....

It all comes down to tonight, only one series has been decided. Personally, I would not want to face the Senators if I was one of the big boyzz, Anderson has gotten healthy, Karlsson made a miracle comeback, Conacher coming aboard, Spezza back, yeah, I know they are a lower seed but they would scare the hell out of me.....

It's funny because all that makes sense yet I still view them as the weakest team in the playoffs

It's funny because all that makes sense yet I still view them as the weakest team in the playoffs

Maybe because non-playoff Philly with four AHLers on defense played quite well against them last game (and won)?

Okay, I'm getting this in after the first Blues/Kings and Hawks/Wild games are over.

Pittsburgh comes out of the east and doesn't break a sweat doing it.

Washington will not make it out of the first round. I will never take them seriously until proven otherwise. And God hates all six Capitals fans, so he'll never let them win.

The Islanders are just happy to be there but I'd expect them to be regular playoff attendees for the foreseeable future.

Ottawa...zzzzz I wouldn't have given them any hope of doing anything in the playoffs, but they drew the hapless Habs. I just think the wheels have come off a bit in Montreal, and it couldn't have happened to more of a douchebag fan base (Ole, Ole, Oh yay, We're gay---NTTAWWT)

Toronto/Bruins. This series is interesting to me because I think they may beat the crap out of each other. I don't see the winner of this series going much further than the first round, but I guess I'll pick Boston in this one.

Second Round

Pittsburgh v. Ottawa Pittsburgh, they hit the snooze alarm. Possibly a sweep but maybe 5 games if Fleury craps the bed in a game

Bruins v. Rangers Rangers in 6

Semis

Pittsburgh v. Rangers. Rangers provide the Pens with some battle testing but Pens still win handily in 6

West

The winner of the Anaheim/Red Wings series wins the West.

Stanley Cup

Pittsburgh. Sorry kids, no one in the west stacks up. Chicago has the best chance, but I'm putting money on them not making it that far.

• Like 1

I don't know how anybody can bet against the Blackhawks right now. If they stay healthy, they'll win the Cup. They are really strong and deep in every position. Something tells me that the Caps are playing as well as anyone and I think they just might get to the Final, even though they most likely will have to beat the Pens or Bruins to get there.

It's weird this year because no one played anyone from the other conference to get a feel for how the top teams of each compete against the style of the opposite conference. To the question "how can anyone bet against the Hawks" it's because while I agree they are deep, I think the Pens--especially if/when Crosby is healthy--are deeper.

Plus, I just expect the Hawks to stumble before they even get to the finals. All that said, if the Pens AREN'T carrying the Cup at the end of all this, I would think it has to be the Hawks that stop them.

• Like 2

I think the Pens have something the Hawks don't... And that's desire. Iginla HAS to be chomping at the bit... And Morrow is playing with an intensity that's an absolute blast to see. Add them to an already potent offense, punishing defense, and hopefully the quality goalie Fleury has proven he can be... And anyone else has an uphill climb. I'm not saying they can't be beaten, I'm just of the thought that its going to take an incredible effort, hockey bounces, and a failure somewhere in the Pens lineup to do it.

I think the Pens have something the Hawks don't... And that's desire. Iginla HAS to be chomping at the bit... And Morrow is playing with an intensity that's an absolute blast to see. Add them to an already potent offense, punishing defense, and hopefully the quality goalie Fleury has proven he can be... And anyone else has an uphill climb. I'm not saying they can't be beaten, I'm just of the thought that its going to take an incredible effort, hockey bounces, and a failure somewhere in the Pens lineup to do it.

I completely get what you're saying about desire, but if any hockey player is still in the playoffs and DOESN'T have desire, they should get the hell out and stop wasting everyone's time.

The offset to everyone else having an uphill climb might be the idea that the Pens and the Hawks seem to be the teams this year with the real pressure. If they don't win, they're going to face the "why the hell not?" questions. In some sense, the Pens are similar to the Heat a couple seasons ago (minus the self-aggrandizing James crap). They're expected to win and that adds some pressure.

I can't think of any other teams with "must win" stress going in. It's not like San Jose or Washington a few years ago where people were clamouring "yeah, regular season. Let's watch you cave again."

In the east, Toronto and NYI are just pinching themselves that they're actually in. I know it's Toronto and its fans/media, but the first playoffs in 10 years and even their fans must already feel like they've done something. Hell, they're fans feel like winning in 1967 is currently doing something. Boston? I don't perceive any particular pressure there. Yeah, they're expected to go deep but I think even their fans realize they're going to have to get very lucky. Ottawa no. Maybe Montreal and NYR but not on the level that Pitt and Chicago are going to have.

Out west, Anaheim wasn't expected to be where they are; Detroit barely made it in so there's not the usual "Go Wings" of other years. There's probably some pressure individually on Schneider, but I don't think the pressure you would ordinarilly see for the Canucks as a whole. The Kings won last year, and people in LA are too busy surfboarding and watching Padres/Dodgers brawls to care that much. Minny is happy to be there. Who'd I miss? Again, each team has it's own pressures but not on the scale, this year, of Pitt and Chicago.

All that said, I think the Pens deal with it (Fleury would be the wild card but they do have Vokoun if Fleury wigs) and Chicago stumbles.

I said Rangers and St.Louis when the year started. I'm not so sure about that now. To me, the Caps and Mr.Holtby are the wildcards in the East. If Holtby gets hot like last spring, the Caps can beat anyone in the East. Having said that, I think the eventual winner of the East is Montreal....if they can get by the Sens, another team I think highly of.

In the West, I really like the Ducks defense, as well as the Blues...I just don't think the Blues can compete with the Ducks firepower. I don't trust Crawford somehow this year, think he will implode and then it comes down to the health status of Emery.

I say a Montreal vs Anaheim final.

@ruxpin

Yes they all have desire... But I was referring more to that "this is my last chance" desperate kind. And the grit that Iginla and Morrow being with that is exciting as a fan.

Yeah, I know what you meant. Had to pick.

But really--and I don't mean this to undermine your point because it's a good one--if every player isn't playing with "this is my last chance" they should get the hell out.

I am a little late to the party but I'll give it a shot:

Pit - NYI: easy cake walk for the Pens. Pens in 5

Mon - Ott: Intriguing, but Ott will come out in 7

Was-NYR: I smell the resurgence of Holtby as the next wall. I see Was in 6. Expect and epic coach Fonzy cry fest followed by a melt down

Bos-Tor: get your waffles ready Vader, Boston will sweep

in the other conference:

Chi- Min: I expect Chi to move with ease especially with Minny's goalie issues. Chi in 5

Ana-Det: Interesting. It really is and probably the most intriguing of the Western match ups. Det in 6

Van- SJ: In typical Vancouver ultra-super-over hyped fashion. They will manage to lose in 6. Expect the goalie rumors to surface quickly. SJ in 6

StL- LA: The Kings will need all of Quick to move on. I just don't see the magic again. St.L in 6

Semi's:

Pitt over Ott in 5

Wash over Boston in 7

Chi over Det in 6

St.L over SJ in 7

Conference Finals:

Wash over Pitt in 6

St.L over Chi in 7

Cup:

St.L vs Wash

St.Louis in 5

Now, I did not make these picks based off of my fantasy hockey roster. Not what so ever :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: