Brad Richards a Healthy Scratch Facing Elimination

hf101

From twitter:

Tortorella called Brad Richards this morning stating that he was not playing in tonight's possible elimination game against the Bruins. Richards will be a healthy scratch.

"Nothing is over, work harder and try my best to never let it happen again." Richards said.

Tortorella dropped Richards to the fourth line in game 3, playing just over 8min.

Looks like this could be Richards last game as a blueshirt. Richards has a contract till 2020 at a 6.66M cap hit.

OR.... will it be Tortorella's last game as a coach if they lose?

RIchards is such an odd player... he was such a 'big game' performer so early in his career. But he's seemed out of place/lost for many years now. I'm stunned that his contract is so inflated. Call me crazy, but I'd take Crater over him big time.

Or maybe both are gone. Great drama going into tonight's game. The players could side with Richards and tank. I haven't really read anything that suggests Richards is the team's problem. His game maybe has slowed since his last concussion. Which could also mean that they want him healthy to buy him out.

If the Rags win without Richards, Torts looks like a genius, but then why should a team do better without one of your best centers?

So Torts looks like a genius playing Kreider with Nash for the winning goal in OT. Now if Richards was benched to keep him healthy for a buyout this summer. Does Richards play game 5?

I think whether or not Richards plays game 5, will quietly reveal the "real" reason he was scratched. If he plays, it shows Torts was sending a message and trying to shake things up. If he sits him again, I think there are other motives.

You can't justify scratching him 2 games in a row-unless there are ulterior motives(BUYOUT), when a win sends you home for Game 6. No way.

Just when you think your own team (no matter who that is) spends money the most frivolously, there's always the Rangers.

I guess they didn't learn anything from the Wade Redden deal....or having the Isles (pre-Tavares) close by as an example of what not to do.

I'd bet Torts is gone after this year. His act wears thin after a while...especially when expectations are not met.

His act wears thin after a while...especially when expectations are not met

very mike keenanesque in that regard.

you have a window for a championship but if you don't win, the message gets lost.

Here are some interesting numbers for the Rangers regarding payroll vs success (it is a crude excel sheet that I made so bear with me):

With that said, the most successful season that I see is last year in regards to payroll vs. success.

***note the Flyers could look eerily similar if I make the similar sheet****

Rangers.xls

Edited by Bertmega

“Brad Richards is a hell of a hockey player. He has had struggles here. It continues. Me putting him in that role does not help him. So I’d rather have him out and identify how we’re going to run our fourth line.

“So none of ya’s, don’t put words in my mouth, it’s not blaming Brad Richards. I’ve already heard enough of that crap already, as far as this is concerned. He’s a hell of a hockey player that’s having a hell of a time. So I need to make decisions for what I feel is right for this team to win tonight’s game, and that’s why I made that decision.

“This is a Conn Smythe winner. A guy I’ve grown up with. A guy I love as a person and a player, but I have to make that decision regarding this. So kiss my ass if you want to write something different. It’s not about blaming that guy. I don’t want anybody to pile on him. This is my decision and I make it for the hockey club.”

source

Although Richards was out as a healthy scratch, I'm still wondering if there are lingering concussion issues here. Which will really make a potential buyout scenario interesting because Richards can't be bought out if not healthy.

Richards is a shell of his former self. He needs to sort out what is wrong (thinking 101's concussion theory may be correct, or some other injury that is effecting his play).....or, he has just lost a step and a half and has lost all production because of it. This needs to hang them up, he's destroying his rep and embarassing himself. Just a theory but one possible reason he may have been benched is not laying down to block shots, if you fail to do that, you get in Fonzie's doghouse real quick....every Ranger is required to give up their body on a blocked shot, you don't do that, you sit.