Wellwood - dumb to qualify?

Guest ZeZel25

I think everyone hopes for the best for him, me included, but I'm really not sure why he was qualified. Assuming he accepts the qualifying offer, the Flyers must carry him on the roster all year, plus his 600,000 cap hit all year because you can't waive/demote him until he's medically cleared to play. I would have qualified Kessel. It's not like he was 32 years old, Kessel is about 24 I believe. Did Kessel do something wrong in this organization I know of? If this was posted already, my apologies

Edited by twpguy

I believe it was the right choice to extend a qualifying offer to wellwood and not Blake Kessel for two reasons:

1. Wellwood's upside is too high to be ignored (if he hasn't lost his speed and agility)
  2. Blake's last name is Kessel (enough said)

I believe it was the right choice to extend a qualifying offer to wellwood and not Blake Kessel for two reasons:

1. Wellwood's upside is too high to be ignored (if he hasn't lost his speed and agility)
  2. Blake's last name is Kessel (enough said)

Ordinarily I'd agree but nobody knows if Wellwood will EVER resume the ability he had. Plus carrying him on the roster, with a cap hit, Dont get it.

True. However, it is a very low caphit to absorb in order to find out if he will still have his ability. The way I see it, low-risk high reward type thing.

We could cut him loose, drop the small cap hit, and he may never play in the NHL. However, in a year from now he could be back on track with a different team instead with the Flyers.

I think extending the qualifying offer was a good investment, pure risk management. low cost, potentially high reward....you do it. If he comes back and lost all that speed, we can cut him loose then.

After reading this from Meltzer today, I think they screwed up on this. Not sure many teams would have taken a run at him anyway, given this info.

However, Wellwood's gruesome self-inflicted skate cut that severed tendons in his leg and will require at least nine months of recovery time creates some complications once he re-signs. National Hockey League teams are not allowed to waive/demote injured players down to the American Hockey League which means Philly will have to carry Wellwood and his $594,000 salary (assuming he accepts the qualifying offer) on their NHL roster and salary cap number until he's medically cleared.

After reading this from Meltzer today, I think they screwed up on this. Not sure many teams would have taken a run at him anyway, given this info.

However, Wellwood's gruesome self-inflicted skate cut that severed tendons in his leg and will require at least nine months of recovery time creates some complications once he re-signs. National Hockey League teams are not allowed to waive/demote injured players down to the American Hockey League which means Philly will have to carry Wellwood and his $594,000 salary (assuming he accepts the qualifying offer) on their NHL roster and salary cap number until he's medically cleared.

well, they CAN LTIR him. Flyers are good at that.

This seems to me to be more of a "good faith" move for the kid - not the best move for the Flyers. After flushing $23 million into a Russian swamp, $594K is peanuts.

I suppose there is "upside" to it all and little "downside".

Amazing that NHL teams that are so cash-strapped and in a failing league that can't make any money can just willy nilly throw out these contracts, though, isn't it?

No. It's not.

• Like 1

I like Wellwood, but I'm not sure I understand why they are keeping him since Lavy refuses to use him unless absolutely necessary.

I really don't like the way he's used. If he were healthy, I could see him refusing and trying his luck elsewhere where he could maybe play a bit more. With the injury, not signing would be a dumb move for him.

Whilst it may not be the best move from a financial standpoint I personally like the loyalty shown by the organisation. I hope it isn't but worst case scenario and his career is over 600k (even after tax) will certainly give him a good shot at life outside of hockey.

• Like 4

Honestly, I don't see the issue with this. If he was healthy, they would sign him. Wellwood's shown enough that you want to keep him around to see if he can regain form once he recovers. If you don't qualify him, he becomes a UFA and you never again will hold his rights, even if you re-sign him later. Since you don't assign players to the AHL in the offseason, it doesn't matter that he's injured - what matters is whether he has a one way or two way contract for cap calculation purposes. If it's a one way, it counts 100% against the offseason cap, healthy or not. If it's a two way, it is pro-rated based on the number of days he was with the big club last season. Once the regular season rolls around, he goes on LTIR. The only reason you would be concerned is that if he signs, that's a spot on the 50-contract reserve list, not his cap hit. Much ado about nothing.

<br />Amazing that NHL teams that are so cash-strapped and in a failing league that can't make any money can just willy nilly throw out these contracts, though, isn't it?<br /><br />No. It's not. <br />

because the flyers are completely representative of the financial standing of every team in the league.

no. they're not.

because the flyers are completely representative of the financial standing of every team in the league.

no. they're not.

Right, because the Islanders are a moribund franchise in a decrepit building (about to move) and they found money to buy out DiPietro.

Tampa is the classic "small, non-traditional hockey market" and they just had the biggest buy out ever with Lecavalier.

Nashville, again, "small market" that has "never made money" and they just paid a guy $26 million in one season.

Perhaps you'd like to more effectively state your point?

I would have qualified Kessel.

PASS!!! Kessel is garbage...besides he'll take time away from the real prospects that need time to grow.

Wellwood however there is something there i always liked him in his limited time on the BIG and think he worth holding onto. He'll be ready right after Christmas...i'm ok with it and hopefully his 600k won't put them in a bine. :ph34r:

Surprise!!! Jammer2 approves this move!!! I tell anyone that will listen, the offense will come with this kid. Bright side, we locked up the league's fastest player for dirt cheap...and we can still LTIR him. This made my month, and we are just starting it!!

Yes i don't want to give up on him yet. He will be the 46th contract(26 forwards 17 Dmen 3 golaies) so that leaves 4 slots including Pronger.

One for the backup.......one maybe for Gagne...that leaves two spots...for???????

And you know Homer likes having an opening...so one more spot up for grabs unless a trade of a body...

http://capgeek.com/flyers/depth-chart/

He also gets health insurance to help with his recovery. I think that is very important. Definitely seems to be a good faith move, consistent with the organization caring about players. Plus, if he recovers, the Flyers still have a skater with potential.