Emery to Philly | 1 year / $1.65M

Guest Jmdodgesrt4

And when I think highly of Fleury maybe I'll agree with you. Lol

And both, and Emery in particular for the Flyers, are still better than Bryz, so this is an upgrade. Better in terms of locker room presence, maturity, stats, skills, sanity, etc. A definite improvement.

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

The one thing I don't necessarily like is that we have two goalies signed to 1-year deals.

There is a chance that this team will have to go out and find two new goalies next season.

Hope one (or both) of these guys pans out.

But the flip side is also good news. If neither pan out, we're not locked in to two duds for 15 years at some ungodly cap hit price. For once. This is playing it safe. It's fair. Good opportunity for both goaltenders with the possibility of being rewarded longer time on the merit of their play. Homer didn't put all his eggs in one or two baskets for the rest of the decade.

@OH1FlyersFan I think we can all agree we are in a nice situation with the goalies this coming year, but given his brutal track record, can we *really* trust homer to pick the right goalie after this coming season is over? Hopefully, one of them rises far above the other so the choice is not hard....even for a tool like homer.

• Like 1

I was just on here yesterday saying that this is exactly what the Flyers need. A quiet, competent goalie comfortable with back-up / share responsibilities. I was so hoping for Emery but thought he was locked up by Chicago. YAHOO! Not a bad job by Flyers management. Shore up defense, add some potentially potent offense, and solve the goal tending woes. Oh yeah and sign our stud. All done without losing important components. Hats off to a job well done. I am impressed.

Bad bet. Pens shutout???

Well, on the surface it looks bad, but I did some research before making the prediction....we have not shut out the Pens since Marty Biron did it in 2008. So, I'm betting were are due to shut them out.

http://www.flyershis...sburgh_Penguins

Edited by jammer2

@ polaris

Remember after talking up the isles vs the flyers? Now that you're talking bets on here remember mine to you that you pussed out on? Haha, classic. I'll still take the flyers over the isles in points next year. You???????

Did you see some of the other money doled out today? It makes the Vinny deal look like a real bargain.

The cap hit itslef looks respectable, but TSN kept saying "nobody else would give Vinny more than 3 years". If that is true, it's not a bargain, we got snookered.

Oh yeah and sign our stud. All done without losing important components. Hats off to a job well done. I am impressed.

What impresses me the most.

Out with Danny and Bryz.

In Vinny, Hall, Streit, Emery and hopefully Gagne.

Coots and Schenn still here. Even Read if just till the trade deadline.

Kept their 1st and 2nd rounders this year, they're showing signs of learning (not fast enough for many) addressing the defensive prospect pool too.......quite well i might say.

• Like 1

Well I get it. What all you guys are saying. My only thing is now we're back to Goalie-Go-Round and the word "controversy" can't be far behind. How does this work in actuality? Who's told what? You guys will tell me "they're both told to fight for the job" and that's all well and good. But that's just words. What I mean is - who plays when? What happens when...soft goal, bad game, bad week of games, great game, great month...etc.

This whole platoon deal is for the birds if you ask me. Now that we've got Emery my idea would be to give him the starting job and tell him it's his to lose but that he will be given a wide berth, a long leash. I'd do this because I think Emery is closer to a stable asset than Mason is, Emery will give the Flyers the best chance of winning. And then Mason gets to do 2nd-half of B2Bs and starts another 20 games or so. Exactly the wrong approach for Mason but that's what we have now with Emery.

I feel more confident with these two question marks in net than I felt a year ago with Bryz and Leighton...at double the cost.

This team could win the cup while Emery nabbed the vezina and people in here would say it cost too much is salary cap and ruined the future of the young guys

Just go have some punch and pie at the gold star for effort party.

You really are the best fan here. Just make sure you keep telling people how much of a better fan you are.

It's really thrilling reading and we're all very proud of you.

I feel more confident with these two question marks in net than I felt a year ago with Bryz and Leighton...at double the cost.

Yes there are still question marks in net...around it will be a merry go round again.

But i'm just happy that the quality of the question marks in net have improved and right now after purging Bryz that is about all we can ask for now...how they will do the rotation well that we just provide a whole new argument.

I'm sure half the board will side with Mason and the other Emery all season long but lets just hope they answer those questions with their play.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Just go have some punch and pie at the gold star for effort party.

You really are the best fan here. Just make sure you keep telling people how much of a better fan you are.

It's really thrilling reading and we're all very proud of you.

Thank you.

And here I thought you were clueless

That is an outrageous statement. Emery is better than Bryz post to post, better glove hand, quicker overall movement, better positioning....he's superior in every possible way.

I don't care who you are or what defense you have in front of you to go 17-1 during the season is pretty damn impressive...hopefully he can work that same magic here....we'll see.

What really baffles me here is Emery isn't as good a goaltender as Bryzgalov was.

I rarely disagree with you, but this time I completely, entirely disagree with this. Bryzgalov is a mediocre goaltender who somehow, inexplicably, got propelled into the fake stardom when playing in Phoenix. There is no doubt in my mind that his stats in Phoenix were largely attributable to the defensive style Dave Tippett employs, and nothing else. When both of your d-men *and* a third forward collapse in a crease, it's hard NOT to have success. Mike Smith is another good example of being a beneficiary of that great - almost flawless - defensive system. Tippett used the same system in Dallas. That's his MO' look it up.

Mike Smith was a complete JOKE during his entire career until he got to Phoenix. Coincidence? I don't think so at all.

And even with that, Bryz *still* failed miserably in the playoffs against the Wings when the 'Yotes got sweapt in the 1st round. Granted, his team did very little to help him, but it's a two-way street. Bryz did all but nothing to help his teammates either. He will make stops he is expected to make, but 9 out of 10 times, he will not make difficult stops especially when the goings get tough. Last year, the only reason the Flyers beat your Pens is because Fleury was actually worse than Bryz. Bryz was outright horrible in that series and the Flyers basically won in *spite* of him because your team fell apart, lost its cool and decided to play no defense at all...

Bryz's game is fundementally flawed. His post-to-post mov ement is atroceous. His puck handling skills are clumsy and non-existent. His reflexes are OK, but only when he is not under fire. He gets rattled easily and has no mental toughness at all. He can't win games by himself. Of all the mediocre goalies who went through the Flyers during the past decade (Biron, Chechmanek, Boucher, Esche, etc.), as mediocre as they were, each of them had at least some short-lived success. Each of them won at least one series by himself. Bryz betrayed his team. He could not help the team when his teammates needed him the most.

Emery overall is a better goaltender by a country mile. I am not saying Emery is an elite goaltender; there are not many of them in the league. There is no comparison. It's not even close. Bryz is not even in the same league with Emery.

The only way Emery wins more than he loses is if 1) The Flyers suddenly enjoy the Blackhawks defense. or 2) Your offense reignites like it was two seasons ago and you simply outscore your opponents 3 goals per game average, much like the Pens do with Fleury in net.

I am cautioulsy optimistic this will happen. There is no reason why it shouldn't happen. The Flyers are stacked offensively. Our first three lines right now are as deep as I have ever seen. Matt Read, a potential 40-goal scorer, won't even have an opportunity to play higher than a 3rd line. Talbot will likely be playing on the 4th line. If everybody stays healthy, the Flyers' offense should be rocking. They should be able to be scoring with ease game in and out.

And the key to the defense is health. Last year, this defense was absolutely decimated by injuries, and Bryz was brutal. If both Gus and Lauridsen make the team and show maturity over the last season, this defense should be great.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

I root for the Flyers. Either Mason or Emery in net, I will cheer for them to win. Even with Bryz or Leighton, I wanted wins. Their job is to stop the puck, and don't be easily hateable. Emery already did that in Philly, so he should be okay. Mason got a good start last "season".

Bottom line: LET'S GO FLYERS!

• Like 3

I rarely disagree with you, but this time I completely, entirely disagree with this. Bryzgalov is a mediocre goaltender who somehow, inexplicably, got propelled into the fake stardom when playing in Phoenix. There is no doubt in my mind that his stats in Phoenix were largely attributable to the defensive style Dave Tippett employs, and nothing else. When both of your d-men *and* a third forward collapse in a crease, it's hard NOT to have success. Mike Smith is another good example of being a beneficiary of that great - almost flawless - defensive system. Tippett used the same system in Dallas. That's his MO' look it up.

Mike Smith was a complete JOKE during his entire career until he got to Phoenix. Coincidence? I don't think so at all.

And even with that, Bryz *still* failed miserably in the playoffs against the Wings when the 'Yotes got sweapt in the 1st round. Granted, his team did very little to help him, but it's a two-way street. Bryz did all but nothing to help his teammates either. He will make stops he is expected to make, but 9 out of 10 times, he will not make difficult stops especially when the goings get tough. Last year, the only reason the Flyers beat your Pens is because Fleury was actually worse than Bryz. Bryz was outright horrible in that series and the Flyers basically won in *spite* of him because your team fell apart, lost its cool and decided to play no defense at all...

Bryz's game is fundementally flawed. His post-to-post mov ement is atroceous. His puck handling skills are clumsy and non-existent. His reflexes are OK, but only when he is not under fire. He gets rattled easily and has no mental toughness at all. He can't win games by himself. Of all the mediocre goalies who went through the Flyers during the past decade (Biron, Chechmanek, Boucher, Esche, etc.), as mediocre as they were, each of them had at least some short-lived success. Each of them won at least one series by himself. Bryz betrayed his team. He could not help the team when his teammates needed him the most.

Emery overall is a better goaltender by a country mile. I am not saying Emery is an elite goaltender; there are not many of them in the league. There is no comparison. It's not even close. Bryz is not even in the same league with Emery.

I am cautioulsy optimistic this will happen. There is no reason why it shouldn't happen. The Flyers are stacked offensively. Our first three lines right now are as deep as I have ever seen. Matt Read, a potential 40-goal scorer, won't even have an opportunity to play higher than a 3rd line. Talbot will likely be playing on the 4th line. If everybody stays healthy, the Flyers' offense should be rocking. They should be able to be scoring with ease game in and out.

And the key to the defense is health. Last year, this defense was absolutely decimated by injuries, and Bryz was brutal. If both Gus and Lauridsen make the team and show maturity over the last season, this defense should be great.

All the description you have for Bryz I'd say the same of Emery. Bryz's full year with the Flyers was better than any single year Emery had except this recent one behind the Hawks' defense. I think you guys are just being hopefull and trying to stay positive, which I can't fault.

Either way my opinion is clearly my own. Mason will be the key, and I've always thought he deserved a chance to be a #1 somewhere. Having said that, PLEASE dress Emery for every Pens game. We need the wins. ;)

Good luck Ray!