this says it all

caluso

Wah wah wah... Dude, seriously take some happy pills... Not trying to be a jerk but when do you ever provide anything other than the "same old bs" and the sky is falling mentality?

This article does not even address the Streit deal and the logic on the Ray Emery signing is stupid at best:

"but his signing illustrates a commitment to bargain basement goaltending"

I think we can all agree that when you spend the amount of money the Flyers did for Bryz they are not/ were not trying to be "bargain basement" shoppers. Emery is a very good pickup at the money he is making. Couple that with Mason challenging for a #1 spot I think it is a good situation. You also have a few Goalies hitting the UFA market next year and there is no long term committment to either player.

Is the Vinny deal too long? Yes, but he would have gotten more per year somewhere else and when you look at the other deals that were gievn out in FA this signing is not terrible. Look no further than Clarkson...

If any team is in cap hell its them

And now with Bryz out the league they now have the worst goaltender remaining .....love it...marriage made in heaven!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

What an idiotic article. The author contradicted himself in several of his assessments. And signing Emery somehow "illustrates a commitment to bargain basement goaltending"? Oh really? Defined by whom, exactly?

Bryz and Luongo are not "bargain basement goaltenders" at least based on the money they make. You can add Miller to that list. What have each of them won? Yet Crawford and Tuuka Rask would probably qualify as "bargain basement goaltenders" and each was huge.... not to mention the ultimate success of Chicago would very much be in question if it wasn't for Emery's performance during the regular season and how he basically came to rescue when Crawford hit the rough spot.

I'll admit that I wanted Homer to get Scuderi... And I think the Penguins got him at a decent price... but Giving that much money to resign those other guys will (hopefully) hurt them cap room wise. Adding Scuderi and keeping some of who they already had, does not a Free Agency Winner Make.

and are committed to 34 year old, not super skilled anyway, rob scuderi for four years...but they are winners.

Scuderi in general, sure. Scuderi for four years? Lecavalier might be useless by the time he's 38, but a positional defensive defenceman who has lost his mobility? A full on liability. Think rathje but smaller.

Scuderi in general, sure. Scuderi for four years? Lecavalier might be useless by the time he's 38, but a positional defensive defenceman who has lost his mobility? A full on liability. Think rathje but smaller.

Scuderi is still a very good shut down guy. We'll have to visit that again in two years, but I posted a discussion with Shero about it in the Pens forum if you're interested and won't burst into flames going there...

Edited by Polaris922

Would burst into flames. Think I know the interview you are talking about, though, where he specifically and repeatedly says it was a good signing for the team for next year, that he is only looking one year out. And won't discuss the long term of it.

It is a good signing for next year. The article that spawned this thread, though, knocks the flyers for lecavalier's term while counting scuderi's a win. Pittsburgh will hate their deal with one year left way more than Philly will.

The Scuderi signing puts the Penguins in the same boat as the Flyers, and pretty much guarantees the Pens are trading someone off their D this offseason, though I guess they could carry 8 dmen. Even so, they still need at least two more forwards on the day one roster, and have just under 700k in cap room.

Scuderi signing is a good signing for Pittsburgh. But I see no room for him here. We have shut-down guys in Grossmann and Luke Schenn. How many of these players do you really need on your team? They may not be as effective as Scuderi... or they may be just as good. But the bottom line, this was not what the Flyers needed. They needed a puck-moving defenseman, not a defensive defenseman. And they addressed it with signing Streit.

Each team has its own needs. It's relaly that simple.

The article is silly mainly because there's really no way of proving anything the guy says... it's just his opinion on the crazy contracts given out. In 5 years, Lecavalier could score 150 goals... or he could score 50. He might continue playing until he's 42, or he might retire in two seasons due to injury. Emery could be awful, or he could look (somewhat) like the guy in Chicago. I still believe the Lecavalier and Streit contracts are bad ones, but I'm not the GM.

Leafs fans on HF Boards think they got a hometown discount on the AAV of Clarkson's contract ($5.25) but that the length was non-negotiable. If they think $5.25M AAV is a discount for a 29 year old forward who has reached 40 points ONCE in his career, they have had the wool pulled over their eyes.

At the end of the day, the owners can't be saved from themselves.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna pretend to know how effective Scuderi will be in 4 years from now, but as of last year, he's an ELITE defender, with multiple Stanley Cups on different teams. The guy is the best at what he does. I'd take him over Grossmann or Luke, any of our defensive d-men.....with the catch, I just don't know what he will be like when he loses that step. If it does happen, I'd be willing to bet that it takes a while. This was a monumental steal for the Pens...he's gonna give our forwards fits this coming year....and I bet he knocks a few of them out of commission also.

• Like 1

Wow jammer... Just being honest but I think you are being a bit overly loving with Scuderi... Elite? Can't agree with that assessment. He is a nice complimentary dman that is responsible in his own end... To me nothing more than a nice piece... In two years he will be an immobile piece..

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

@murraycraven Maybe just me, but I've always considered the guy an elite shut down type. Even before the cups started rolling in. Love the guys intensity, his defensive zone coverage is top end. He would be one of my very first choices to shut down the oppenents top line. The guy is money and a proven commodity. He deserved every penny of that contract.

Maybe just me (and slightly off topic) but does anyone else think there should be a mechanism for mutually agreed renegotiation of contracts?

When you're "forced" to give guys like Clarkson 7 year contracts, something's clearly wrong.

@murraycraven Maybe just me, but I've always considered the guy an elite shut down type. Even before the cups started rolling in. Love the guys intensity, his defensive zone coverage is top end. He would be one of my very first choices to shut down the oppenents top line. The guy is money and a proven commodity. He deserved every penny of that contract.

American... NCAA product out of Boston College...

Who's posting under jammer's account? :D

:ph34r:

I'd take him over Grossmann or Luke, any of our defensive d-men.....

I would agree with this assessment. But that's just it. We already have Grossman and Luke.... along with other 7 d-men currently signed as of the moment I am typing this. What is Homer supposed to do to fit Scuderi, even if he loves him to death?

The Flyers are at the point they need to *lose* d-men, not add more.

Edited by Mad Dog