Couturier signs 2-year extension

Very good deal for the Flyers; Couterier brings some nice things. Though, to address something I saw in the shoutbox on the main page: you can't really compare the dollar figures between a 2-yr old RFA and a 29-yr old UFA... They have completely different types of leverage when negotiating.

JR

i'm a little surprised couturier took that, really. if that was the dollar figure on the table, i think i'd say, "well, ok, let's just wait until next spring, then. i want the chance to maybe have a really strong season and shoot a little higher for my 2nd contract." i don't see the advantage to couturier agreeing to that right now. i mean, glad he did, but weird.

• Like 4

@aziz

I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see him sign somewhere in the 2.5-3.0 range. It's a pretty sure bet at least a handful of teams would have been willing to extend an offer sheet for at least that much if he had gotten to free agency. So yeah, a little unexpected that he took this offer this early. But hey, good for us. I love that the young core is already getting locked in for the next few years. It should help ensure that any overly aggressive moves at next season's trade deadline or in free agency don't eat up the cap and squeeze out the young talent.

• Like 1

How much money was he going to sign for? The Flyers own his rights and don't want to trade him (nor would I) and he knows there isn't really cap space left..

JR

3.5 millon over two more years...cap hit of 1.75mill...he will make 1.3 this upcoming season...so a modest raise on the bridge.

I think the smart play for Couts would have been to go the way aziz was saying, sign the one year deal and see if you can put up some pts and give yourself a little raise. Don't know why his agent would not have pursued this route also, a chance he makes more off a deal where his client has a good season. I'm just glad he is tied up and we now have some insurance against a break out year by Couts. Real smart move by Homer.

• Like 3

@doom88 "Maybe he signed for a little less to play in Philly?"

I was actually hoping that was the case, but the greedy agents don't allow to much of a hometown discount, unless the player has already made his millions and just want's to win type of thing.

@jammer2

Not even a one year deal, just wait on all of it until next may. He's getting about as little as is conceivable, what was his motivation to sign anything now? If I were him, i'd have said let's wait ten months and see if I can convince you for more in the meantime.

Glad he isn't me. Just...like I said, weird.

Maybe he feels his performance last year was rather dissapointing, especially after his strong rookie campaign, so he felt he had a lot to prove to the Flyers... I don't know.... guess looking for some explanations that would make sense.

Isn't this pretty much standard fare for a 20 year old coming off an ELC? Unless he blows everyone away with his performance - which is not likely to happen - this is the kind of modest raise young, 20 year old players typically get, no?

Couturier has done nothing offensively to warrant an eye-popping raise. And defense, as important as it is, just doesn't get noticed the same way.

• Like 2

Couturier has done nothing offensively to warrant an eye-popping raise.

exactly, though. he was still under contract for another year, and was coming off a relatively disappointing season. from the player's perspective, now is not the time to get an extension. now is the time to say, "i can do better, give me the season and let's talk down the road aways."

i feel like it sounds like i'm complaining, and i'm totally not. couturier just got locked in for another two seasons at, imo, well beneath his value. just one of the odder signings i've seen.

• Like 2

Just maybe the players understand the Flyers and the prestige it brings. I can honestly say if I was a pro player I would relish the opportunity to play there. This team is poised to make noise and I would not be surprised if there is a cup run in the very near future.

I see Couterier's salary as having to do more with the fact that the Flyers don't have much cap room left to sign him and they have the leverage. I almost feel bad for him, actually. He (at a young age) gets slammed with the toughest zone starts of any Flyer, the toughest Quality of Competition, and STILL is a possession positive player...

And then folks say that he doesn't bring enough offensively to warrant much of a raise. Ouch.

He's been given an extremely tough job to do, has excelled at it, and due to the above, isn't getting much of a reward.

JR

• Like 2