Giroux injures right hand

hf101

@hf101 Well, that SUCKS. Cut tendons, that is a major injury. Will he miss the whole year, think he will miss the Olympics...probably. One thing for sure, when the smoke clears, Laughton just made this team. He will have to actually play himself off this year now.

updated: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/8/15/4626314/claude-giroux-injury-wrist-flyers

Update: Claude Giroux is expected to fully recover in 5-6 weeks after undergoing surgery on his right hand on Thursday.

It's not a wrist injury as originally reported. Here's a full statement from the Flyers:

"Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux had successful surgery this afternoon on his right index finger performed by Dr. Katherine Boyd at the Ottawa Civic Hospital in Ottawa, Canada. Giroux was golfing today when his golf club shattered and splintered into his index finger. Although there were no broken bones, there was some damage to his extensor tendons in his finger. He is expected to have a full recovery in 5-6 weeks."

A six week recovery would still put Giroux on track to be ready for the season opener on October 2 against Toronto. He'll miss a lot of training camp, but presumably he'll still be able to skate and stay in shape since it's just a hand injury.

I love that bloggers are having fun with this.

I have shattered 2 different clubs on separate occasions . One was my beloved Ted Sheftic driver on the tee, cracked / exploded into 4 pieces the other time I snapped my 5 iron off at the shaft hozzel in each case I struck the ball and **** just broke. No monkey business just playing golf. It does happen , even to 15 handicaps...

"Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux had successful surgery this afternoon on his right index finger performed by Dr. Katherine Boyd at the Ottawa Civic Hospital in Ottawa, Canada. Giroux was golfing today when his golf club shattered and splintered into his index finger. Although there were no broken bones, there was some damage to his extensor tendons in his finger. He is expected to have a full recovery in 5-6 weeks."

All I have to say is I'm glad Giroux doesn't think like Clarke " Ahh just cut it off!"

"It was just a freak thing," Giroux told the Daily News. "I was taking a swing and my club hit a little behind the ball. The shaft of the club shattered, but my hand kept going on the swing and the shattered part went right into my finger." He said blood was everywhere. Akeson shuttled Giroux immediately to Ottawa Civic Hospital, where the Flyers captain had surgery on his right index finger. Giroux did not fracture anything, but required surgery because he damaged his extensor tendons. Giroux said he received "excellent care" from the same doctor who cares for the Senators.

http://mobile.philly.com/sports/flyers/?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=219870021

Wrist would have been scary considering his history there, but that was exactly my question... What the hell happened to his club???

He must have smashed it against a tree in frustration or something.

says it was an injury to his finger and he'll be ready for the season opener.

the real question is: wtf was he doing that he snapped the shaft on his wedge?

Man, you'd think for 63 million he'd be practicing his wrist shot instead of his chip shot.

As for his club? This is much like your stick betraying you when you're playing hockey and suddenly snapping. A lot of golf club's have shafts made of fiberglass, which is decent enough in flexible strength but will shatter if tension is applied to a weak point. Luck of the draw really.

Edited by NarrowRoadHeros