Who is the first coach fired?

Guest yave1964

For my money it is coming down to Jack Capuano on the Island, Bob Hartley in Calgary and Lavvy in Philadelphia.

I think the Isles will take a step back this year, Streit and Boyes will be missed, among others and Nabakov has to be around fifty by now. Great expectations will possibly doom him

Hartley has no expectations over him but he is in a bad position and the club may fire him to bring in a coach who will work with the kids.

Lavvy is in a win now position with Mason and Emery in goal. I understand the logic but that could get real ugly real fast.

Of the three, I am betting on Capuano. I think the Flyers will play well enough for Lavy to keep his job, and Hartley is not expected to win, so if/when the Isles stumble I think he will be first in a 'lets do something' move. I would not be surprised to see at least two of the three listed above gone by next season though.

@yave1964

LOL great thread.  

Both the Flyers and Wild are expected to do great this season, thus poor starts could put both Laviolette and Yeo on the hot seats.  

But I'll say the first coach that will be fired will be Cooper of the Lightning.

@yave1964

LOL great thread.  

Both the Flyers and Wild are expected to do great this season, thus poor starts could put both Laviolette and Yeo on the hot seats.  

But I'll say the first coach that will be fired will be Cooper of the Lightning.

I think Cooper gets a pass because it is his first full year and I believe they will be a bit better than last year. Yeo definitely needs to be on the list.
  • Like 1

@flyercanuck

Well you have to have the right players. The problem is most GMs don't fire themselves for bringing in the wrong players, they fire the coach for not making it work.

The Flyers remind me of my fantasy football team, talented but fluid with massive changes and being rebuilt season after season. The depth in the minors, no offense but from an outsiders perspective simply is not there, and year after year Holmgren reinvents the club, and whoever is the coach is facing the unenviable task of putting a collection of players together to make it a team and hope for the best before Holmgren blows it up again and starts over. It is a constant roller coaster ride with little if any continuity. Can a team like that win a cup occasionally? Sure, the Lightning in 2004, to some extent the Ducks in 2007 come to mind, but not very often. Laviolette may be the best coach in hockey just keeping some semblance of a team together, supplying cohesion to a mish mash bunch every year, and he deserves better than what he has been dealt. When he moves on he will get another opportunity. He deserves it after having to work with this talented but discombobulated bunch.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

Well you have to have the right players. The problem is most GMs don't fire themselves for bringing in the wrong players, they fire the coach for not making it work.

The Flyers remind me of my fantasy football team, talented but fluid with massive changes and being rebuilt season after season. The depth in the minors, no offense but from an outsiders perspective simply is not there, and year after year Holmgren reinvents the club, and whoever is the coach is facing the unenviable task of putting a collection of players together to make it a team and hope for the best before Holmgren blows it up again and starts over. It is a constant roller coaster ride with little if any continuity. Can a team like that win a cup occasionally? Sure, the Lightning in 2004, to some extent the Ducks in 2007 come to mind, but not very often. Laviolette may be the best coach in hockey just keeping some semblance of a team together, supplying cohesion to a mish mash bunch every year, and he deserves better than what he has been dealt. When he moves on he will get another opportunity. He deserves it after having to work with this talented but discombobulated bunch.

The 2004 lightning had about 15 players who were on the 2003 lightning - including their top lines, most of the defense and the goaltender.

The '07 Ducks had been to the Conference Final in 2006.

@radoran

The Ducks had been perpetual close but no cigars and then went right back to that category after winning the cup. Yeah, they built a little at a time and knocked on the door before that so it may have been a poor example.

The Lightning, well they won once then turned into the Lightning again, it was literally like a lightning strike. They never came close to repeating any time thereafter.

I might be the only one to say this, but I think it's Julien in Boston... The whole team took huge steps backwards in the offseason and the team had a real tough time holding leads in both the regular season and the playoffs. Not to mention that the whole team rests on Rask's shoulders so if he falls, the whole team falls

If Laviolette doesn't have his team playing more of a defensive style this season he deserves to go. Firewagon doesn't work with Crosby and malkin, it sure isn't going to work with lesser offensive talents.

Been saying that for a while. The Flyers roster is better suited for a tight checking defense game. Clog the center of the ice, increase the neutral zone presence and let the Giroux, Vorachek, Read, Vinny and the boys pounce when the other team makes a mistake. Not the funnest brand of hockey, but it would produce more Flyer wins, I'm convinced of it. The Flyers defensive zone coverage is horrid, they need to fix it at any cost, so going into a defensive shell is a way to do it quickly. There is a real chance Emery and Mason do not shine in this run and gun mess of a philosophy. We don't have the right players to carry this out effectively.

Been saying that for a while. The Flyers roster is better suited for a tight checking defense game. Clog the center of the ice, increase the neutral zone presence and let the Giroux, Vorachek, Read, Vinny and the boys pounce when the other team makes a mistake. Not the funnest brand of hockey, but it would produce more Flyer wins, I'm convinced of it. The Flyers defensive zone coverage is horrid, they need to fix it at any cost, so going into a defensive shell is a way to do it quickly. There is a real chance Emery and Mason do not shine in this run and gun mess of a philosophy. We don't have the right players to carry this out effectively.

I feel like Lavy's job lies completely on Mason's shoulders... Goaltending has been an issue in philly on and off since Hextall left to be honest. If Mason isn't a true number one goalie, it could be a short season for Lavy

@radoran

The Ducks had been perpetual close but no cigars and then went right back to that category after winning the cup. Yeah, they built a little at a time and knocked on the door before that so it may have been a poor example.

The Lightning, well they won once then turned into the Lightning again, it was literally like a lightning strike. They never came close to repeating any time thereafter.

True, but the idea that they used the "rip the roster apart" strategy and had success is not born out by the facts.

That's the context in how I read this

year after year Holmgren reinvents the club, and whoever is the coach is facing the unenviable task of putting a collection of players together to make it a team and hope for the best before Holmgren blows it up again and starts over. It is a constant roller coaster ride with little if any continuity. Can a team like that win a cup occasionally? Sure, the Lightning in 2004, to some extent the Ducks in 2007 come to mind, but not very often.

I wonder how  much rope Rolston has?  I say win tomorrow or he may be next.  But he really has not done bad.  I have to stick up for him.

Agreed.   I think patience is called for in Buffalo.   They have a younger team that needs to develop.  Whether or not Rolston is the guy remains to be seen but I haven't yet seen anything that would scream "he isn't!"

Hopefully the Sabres stick with him awhile to give him a chance.