Snider "is in the locker room after every game" ! ? !

canoli

I knew - we all know Snider is a "hand's on" owner but I had no idea he was down there after every game. At least according to Andrew Alberts he is, who was quoted in The Province (a Vancouver publication?).

I realize it's only one source but the way Alberts says it apparently it's common knowledge. Whatever lingering doubts I had about Ed "meddling" or calling the shots are gone.

"the owner (Ed Snider) and the GM are,” he told The Province. “They’re passionate and the owner is in the locker-room after every game and he just wants to win.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Canucks-Alberts-Flyers-Always-Do-Something-Crazy.html

Snider only goes into the locker room after every game to introduce himself to the new players :ph34r:

I feel like I'm sitting in a bandwagon that's up on cinder blocks with the wheels and horses having been stolen and the blind driver keeps cracking the whip and yelling "yeehaw!"

Also, too, that's one heluva photo of Sestito... Did he date the sister of one of the Inky assistant sports editors or something?

• Like 1

And Jerry Jones is on the sidelines of every game... Not sure why this is a big deal. A ton of owners do the same thing throughout sports.

No, they don't. 

Jones being on the sidelines has taken all sorts of criticism.

Here he is approaching the head coach during the game to discuss direction

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20111226-jerry-jones-amazed-by-those-who-criticize-him-for-being-on-sideline.ece

He also gets involved in personnel decisions, directly (doesn't hide behind a GM).

You think Jacobs is in the room "after every game"? 

How about Rocky Wirtz? Um, no.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2013/01/rocky_wirtz_on_the_state_of_th.html

ST: Have you had any contact with your players yet?

RW: I have not.

ST: How often do you during the season?

RW: The best contact I have with them is when I go in the locker room after you win the Stanley Cup. But I have limited access to them. I see them coming to the games in Lot H. And we get together at the Christmas party.

If you have evidence of "a ton of owners" (I'll grade weight liberally) are in the locker room after every game, I'd be happy to see it.

And Jerry Jones is hardly where you want to be hanging your hat. Talk about "the next Al Davis"...

Jesus Rad... Relax. Nobody pissed in your cheerios did they? God forbid people differ from your point of view lately...

Snider in Philly, Snider in DC, Cubana, Cashman, Lurie, Pegula, Davis, etc... There are a ton of examples where owners meddle in the clubs everyday process. After all they own the team...

For Christ sake Cuban has first row seats for every home game. They Own the club so does it not make sense to make sure your team is ok and take the pulse?

I am not defending Snider... I hate the basted but let's not go overboard. It is a business - period. Do you think Steve Jobs just laid back and let his business run itself. Absolutely not...

well you make a good point Murray - and you have some names to back it up - I'll take your word for it that those guys "meddle" in their teams since I only watch the Eagles if I ever watch football. I can see the "it's no big deal" angle. I see it I don't agree with it.

Yes Ed owns the team, it's his "baby" and all that. But imho it's really bad form for an owner to be hanging around his club that much. He's the owner not the GM, not the head coach. Theoretically his expertise is the business side of the team and the business of the NHL, which is not at all the same as running the team the way a coach does, or managing a team the way the GM does.

and then to top it off he continually states publicly that he never meddles in Homer's decisions he merely approves them. He even said last week something to the effect of, "why hire Paul if I don't trust him?"

Sure made sense when he said it. I only wish he walked the walk instead of just talking the talk.

And Jerry Jones is on the sidelines of every game... Not sure why this is a big deal. A ton of owners do the same thing throughout sports.

You really used Jerry Jones as an example of a "good" thing?  

Just saying, maybe if Jerry Jones would stay away from the sidelines his teams might actually do better.   Same with Snider.

I guess I really don't know, but 'm not sure most hockey owners are actually in the dressing room.

Jesus Rad... Relax. Nobody pissed in your cheerios did they? God forbid people differ from your point of view lately...

Snider in Philly, Snider in DC, Cubana, Cashman, Lurie, Pegula, Davis, etc... There are a ton of examples where owners meddle in the clubs everyday process. After all they own the team...

For Christ sake Cuban has first row seats for every home game. They Own the club so does it not make sense to make sure your team is ok and take the pulse?

I am not defending Snider... I hate the basted but let's not go overboard. It is a business - period. Do you think Steve Jobs just laid back and let his business run itself. Absolutely not...

Pope Francis, murray, no - but I give solid, hard evidence for my opinions. I don't just say "a ton" and leave it at that, then complain someone whizzed in my wheatabix when my point of view gets challenged (while still providing no actual "evidence" to back up my assertion). And, no, I don't like seeing my favorite sports franchise run into the ground by a bunch of self-important know-it-alls that haven't won a Cup since 1975 and have a worse record in the Final over the past 20 years of anyone who has been there more than twice.

Owners on the sidelines - and none of the owners you cite are what could be called "a good example" - are a bad idea. Always have been, always will be.

Snyder in Washington? Have you seen the Redskins? A bigger disaster of an owner-meddled franchise you will be hard-pressed to find. Jones in Dallas? Seriously? The more he's been involved, the worse the team has gotten. Al Davis? Terry "hasn't been to the playoffs" Pegula? 

Jeff Lurie rarely is seen in the Eagles dressing room. 

I gave you direct quotes from Wirtz. What have the Blackhawks done lately? Has Jeremy Jacobs gone down to the locker room after every game? If it is such a usual occurance, why is it notable enough to be mentioned by a player and reported? Why can't you just provide a series of links to - I'll be generous - ten other NHL owners who are in the room "after every game"?

Having "a say" in day to day operations is different from sticking your nose into the players' business. And the locker room is the players' business. For the record, having someone like a Mario Lemieux lacing them up for a practice isn't a comparable. Neither is having your owner in a first row seat instead of an owner's box.

Note the term "owner's box".

Snider is in "the room" "after every game"? Really? Odd that having changed players, coaches, trainers, goalies, skate sharpeners, dressing room configurations, stall assignments, third jerseys, alternate logos and lace counts that the coach still seems to "lose the room" with regularity.

Coincidence isn't causation, but if there is a common thread it might be more than just coincidence.

Culture of winning.

I can see popping in from time to time, but every game is meddling, ego, putting undue pressure on players, spying....all of the above.

Right, this isn't about an owner stopping by on occasion.

If Alberts saw him as there "every night" - if this is simply part of the "culture" - then he's, quite frankly, there too much.

• Like 1

what kills me the most is you would never know, listening to him that he spends that much time hanging around the team. He gives the impression he's a "hands-off" kind of owner.

Who the hell wants to see the big boss hanging around so much? Nobody. I'd be suprised to hear a GM hanging around the locker room "after every game." Especially when things are going poorly the Big Boss is not a welcome sight.

Maybe if the guy is some super-duper people person who everybody loves...blahblahblah.. But Ed Snider hardly seems to be that type of guy.

I just think having the big boss in the room EVERY night (which I have to think was a little hyperbole--I would hope so anyway) or even MOST nights undermines your manager/coach.

The coach has to be able to coach under his own authority in the sight of the players/personnel.  It doesn't matter whether it's hockey or manufacturing or a call center or a military unit.

There is typically a chain of command.  If the general laborers (players, in this case) constantly see the big boss/owner/general in the room while the coach/manager/lieutenant is trying to get them to do what they should, they eventually tune out the coach/manager/lieutenant because they realize very quickly where the actual authority is.   As the coach is speaking, they begin to look to the owner even if only to gauge facial expression/body language to see agreement or discomfort or even disagreement.  The general/big boss/owner should only be there on occasion when a show of support or a confirmation of authority is perceived as needed.

It's exceedingly bad business.   I don't have a problem with a Cuban sitting on  the court side or a football owner on the sidelines (provided he's not standing there right by the head coach or coordinators while they're trying to give instructions).  But in the locker room, no, that's a bad thing.  It also weakens the effect of a GM showing up at times when the GM is trying to send a message.   If the owner is ALWAYS there (or even most of the time), who cares that the GM suddenly shows up to "send a message."

Bad business and undermines his management staff.

You have a chain of command for a reason.   Owner talks to higher management, who talks to middle/lower management, who talks to workforce.  **** cannot roll downhill if there's no hill.  It's better for morale and it's better for accountability and the results are vastly better.

Snider needs to get the hell out of the dressing room.   And the building.   And the city.   And the state.   Maybe the continent.

• Like 1

I'm certainly not defending Mr Snider, but Alberts played 1 season with the Flyers...5 years ago.  Just because Mr Snider may have been in the locker room a lot back then(NOT condoning it!), doesn't mean he is now.

The man is 80 years old.  There's a lot of walking between the owners box and the locker room.   :ph34r:

that was one great post Rux - seriously.

As the coach is speaking, they begin to look to the owner even if only to gauge facial expression/body language to see agreement or discomfort or even disagreement.

THIS.

(as they say on the interweb)

I'm certainly not defending Mr Snider, but Alberts played 1 season with the Flyers...5 years ago.  Just because Mr Snider may have been in the locker room a lot back then(NOT condoning it!), doesn't mean he is now.

The man is 80 years old.  There's a lot of walking between the owners box and the locker room.   :ph34r:

B-b-b-b-but, Derek Morris! Adrian Aucoin!

:ph34r:

All true.  But Alberts was here in 2008-09, which was actually an okay regular season.  

I still think "always" was almost certain hyperbole, but it seems to me that--at least in Alberts' eyes--it was more than "normal" or it wouldn't have been said.

Snider has done everything else pretty much the same way for the last 40 years or so.  I don't know why THIS would be the one thing he's changed.

exactly. And when you read the quotes from Alberts he says it like it's nothing - meaning he's not "exposing" anything - he's only saying what's already widely known, that Ed Snider is a total control-freak when it comes to the Flyers.

• Like 1