Make trades or focus on next season

Flyingswede

Save this season or focus on next  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Save this season or focus on next

• Screw it, let the young play and rebuild next summer.
    • Make trades to save the season

Well, already since the pre season started I knew were this was going. I dont think anything will change without a lot of trades. So change it now or later? 

To soon to panic, only 6 points from the 8th seed, they are getting great goaltending they can figure this out i believe.

10-15 if there is no improvement Berube has to go and maybe even Homer but a new coach needs to be brought in if they can't fix it.

They have 74 games left in the season a lot can happen between now and then i'm thinking they can turn it around...harder to be positive than negative. If not it will be a looooong painful season.

Stand pat for sure.... There is no trade that is going to make us contenders at this point.  See what the young kids can do and if we fall out of playoff contention hang a "For Sale" sign in the window.   With any luck Teams will want to bolster there lienups for the playoffs and be willing to overpay.  

Holmgrens record of trades is far from impressive if your a Flyer fan. I don't want him moving anyone unless it's an older player for youth or picks. It scares the crap out of me thinking what he might do to save his job.

That's the main reason to get him to step down or fire him before he makes trades to save his job.

I voted for screw it and let the young play.  however, I'd like to clarify that "screw it" doesn't really capture the way I feel, I just believe there are too many areas on this team that needs addressing and I don't think one or two trades gets the job done.  The team apparently feels as though the fan base is unwilling to endure the growing pains of a rebuild so they will never have the balls to cut out overvalued, aged talent to bring in prospects or draft picks with the intent of building to the future.  Just imagine how the fan base would react if they took the approach the Sixers are taking this season.

It seems like its only me. I want to fix this now with blockbuster trades! I have looked forward to the season and i just cant take a whole season in the doghouse. This is bad, real bad. If you count the pre season games you see a loosing trend. The Vinny signing is the one that took us at wrong direction.

It seems like its only me. I want to fix this now with blockbuster trades! I have looked forward to the season and i just cant take a whole season in the doghouse.

A blockbuster trade isn't going to fix anything, unless you find a really, really stupid trading partner that will take our garbage and send back youth and picks. And even then that isn't the right now fix you seem to want. In the absence of that, big deals will only make it worse. So move over rover, we're going to be in here for a while.

Swede... Vinny is the only one that has been consistently good on offense when playing. He is the least of my concerns right now...

Sure. Same with Streit. Bryzgalov. Pronger. Briere. None of which worked out for the duration of the contract. (OK, Striet is pending but we all know how that's going to turn out)

Sure. Same with Streit. Bryzgalov. Pronger. Briere. None of which worked out for the duration of the contract. (OK, Striet is pending but we all know how that's going to turn out)

FC... what's done is done at this point.   Since we are speaking in the here and now I just dont see VL as the problem.  Thus far he has been one of the bright spots when in the lineup.  

Now, 3 years downt he road I would agree :)    Like I said in my earlier post if they fall out of contention hang a "For Sale" sign and see if you can stupify someone into taking some of these contracts.

@murraycraven

My point is I don't want Holmgren in charge of making trades when he constantly does the same mistakes over and over. The guy lives in the "now" and rarely ever looks ahead further than this season. He signs Briere to too long of a contract, gets lucky when the new CBA allows for SIMBOs (Stupid Idiot Management Buy Outs - buyouts being 2 words to sound better) then takes that money and throws it at a player who was....bought out! Genius!

My point is I don't want Holmgren in charge of making trades when he constantly does the same mistakes over and over.

You will never hear me argue that logic!

Personally, I like VL as a player but there is no way I would have signed him.  The sheer stupidity that you cite (TB buying out VL and then Homer signing him to a ugly deal) is beyond explanation.  It is like someone getting out of jail and becoming a repeat offender on the first day.   Homer will never learn and everything is the shotgun approach.  Strategy goes out the window and monopoly money is thrown out to every overage veteran we can acquire...

No argument here man...

Edited by murraycraven

If we trade don't trade to win now trade to drop salary and get younger:

Timonen

Hartnell

Then if we continue to do bad and pending the value of picks/players we would get back:

Vinny - not because he's doing bad but why not clear house

Streit

Mez

Coburn

Emery

etc.

The Flyers could become the 76ers of the NHL

If we trade don't trade to win now trade to drop salary and get younger:

Timonen

Hartnell

Then if we continue to do bad and pending the value of picks/players we would get back:

Vinny - not because he's doing bad but why not clear house

Streit

Mez

Coburn

Emery

etc.

The Flyers could become the 76ers of the NHL

Timonen will not be traded, he would retire than play elsewhere in the NHL next season.(Salary dump)

I agree with Hartnell but he does have a NTC in place. (unless he wants to go)

Emery is costing very little and will do his backup role.(solid when he needs to be)

Mezsaros has to go, no to Coburn because of the mins this guy plays. (Mez isn't worth 4+mil a year)

Edited by FreakinFlyersFan

You will never hear me argue that logic!

Personally, I like VL as a player but there is no way I would have signed him.  The sheer stupidity that you cite (TB buying out VL and then Homer signing him to a ugly deal) is beyond explanation.  It is like someone getting out of jail and becoming a repeat offender on the first day.   Homer will never learn and everything is the shotgun approach.  Strategy goes out the window and monopoly money is thrown out to every overage veteran we can acquire...

No argument here man...

That's why it would be a good idea to either tell him to step down or fire him. He has to see the writing on the wall when they bring in Hextall to be the assistant GM.

Timonen will not be traded, he would retire than play elsewhere in the NHL next season.(Salary dump)

If someone is willing to pick him up at the deadline for the playoffs then bye bye Kimmo...  If anything else the guy deserves to be traded to a young team to try and win a cup.

Edited by murraycraven

If they trade Richards and Carter for parting why not Hartnell. Any trades with we get picks have to be in 15 better draft

I am not sure any Team would take on that contract.  Remember, Carter and Richards NMC/NTC did not kick in until after they were traded.