Mike Richards ... the quiet captain

hf101

A text message from a guy who recently walked in Claude Giroux's shoes helped the Philadelphia Flyers captain rediscover his passion so he could start to break out of his scoring slump.

"It wasn't going right, and I got a nice text from Mike Richards. … I think he gave me a boost to relax and play the game," Giroux told NHL.com on Tuesday prior to playing the Ottawa Senators at Wells Fargo Center. "It's a great game. There's a reason why we play in the NHL. It's because we know what we're doing. It's just about going back to basics, going out there, have fun, play the game."

Giroux couldn't remember exactly when he got that text from Richards, the former Flyers captain who is now playing for the Los Angeles Kings. He said it was a couple of weeks ago, well before he scored his first goal of the season against the Edmonton Oilers on Nov. 9.

He also wouldn't reveal what Richards wrote in that text message, but it was enough to lift Giroux's spirits and get him pointed in the right direction.

"It's easy for people to be like, 'Just go and score a goal,'" Giroux said. "To hear it [from Richards], it kind of made me just relax and think about how I'm lucky enough to play this game for a living. I'm in one of the great organizations and we have fans that cheer their heart out. Just looking at the position I'm in now, I feel really lucky, and it just makes me more motivated to play better."

source

Really cool.  Once a Flyer always a Flyer?  I know I've spoken poorly of him in the past.  If Holmgren thought Richie could have been productive without Carter I really doubt he would have been traded. These actions makes me wonder if we will see Richards traded back at some point.

source

Really cool.  Once a Flyer always a Flyer?  I know I've spoken poorly of him in the past.  If Holmgren thought Richie could have been productive without Carter I really doubt he would have been traded. These actions makes me wonder if we will see Richards traded back at some point.

It wouldn't surprise somewhere down the road when Richards is near the end of his career, never liked seeing him get traded as for Carter I didn't care if he went.

• Like 2

I always loved Richards and was really upset to see him go.  I think he was mostly the victim of the Bryzaster (cap casualty) with the secondary issues being his relationships with Lavy and the media (and maybe Pronger to some extent).  His 2010 play was so inspiring it led me to ask my wife for his sweater for Chrstmas (what an ill advised request that turned out to be, thanks Homer).

• Like 2

"G, the coke in Merion is the best around Philly..."

In all seriousness that is a cool article and nice jestrure.  I dont think it has anything to do with "once a Flyer, always a Flyer" at all.   I think it was one friend to another...  We all pretend like Richards misses Philly but I have to think he doesn't.

• Like 1

This is really going to irk those "Richards is an unmotivated locker room cancer cocaine addicted drunk that everyone hated anyway" theory pushers. 

source

Great story HF thanks for posting it. Girioux must've really appreciated hearing encouraging words from Mike Richards. Of all the people working with Giroux these days Richards has a unique perspective on what Giroux was (is) going through.

I can't say I'm unhappy with the Flyers' roster these days but I sure wish we still had #18.

• Like 1

It would have to be after his current contract expires becuase that one includes a NMC and I highly doubt that Richie would agree to comeback and play for Homer after the way Homer treated Carter, then him, then Gagne.  Unless Snider unloads Homer in the mean time.

and yeah, regarding Carter, me too!  I effiing hated getting those 35-45 goals every year from him and the +20 goal differential.  What a pain in the ass that was!

It wouldn't surprise somewhere down the road when Richards is near the end of his career, never liked seeing him get traded as for Carter I didn't care if he went.
  • Like 1

It would have to be after his current contract expires becuase that one includes a NMC and I highly doubt that Richie would agree to comeback and play for Homer after the way Homer treated Carter, then him, then Gagne.  Unless Snider unloads Homer in the mean time.

He was traded before the NTC kicked in, as was Carter. The NTCs were voided when that happened - they can be traded anywhere.

I didn't think Carter never had a NMC.

I know Richards was traded before his kicked in, but I hadn't realized that trading him then meant the impending NMC was voided in perpetuity. 

That seems like a totally bull **** and exploitative loop hole... just the kind of thing that the GM's would insist on in the new CBA.

Still, my point remains the same.  I don't think Homer would take him and I don't think it would be a pretty reunion if Homer and the Kings forced it on Richards. 

He was traded before the NTC kicked in, as was Carter. The NTCs were voided when that happened - they can be traded anywhere.

I think about it like this...

I had a job once that I really liked.  But I was passed over for a promotion a few times because I didn't play the political game the right way... so eventually I left and management thought I left pissed off.  In fact they were right... but I still have a warm place in my heart for the company.  I had the first successes of my career there and still have some of my best friends because of my time there and I genuinely want the company and the people there to do well, but I have no particular desire to work for them again...  ever.

Now I'm doing much better and getting paid more and being respected much more than I ever was at that old company.

I still have good feelings about them and the people that I worked with and I'm thrilled to see when they have success.  Just maybe not the management.

If Richie felt that way about the Flyers, it would make sense to me. 

Not a perfect dialectic, but whatever.  I think you can bond with your coworkers and an organization and still acknowledge that your boss was a jack ass.

I guess my situation was probably a lot more like Carle's.  

We all pretend like Richards misses Philly but I have to think he doesn't.

Great story HF thanks for posting it. Girioux must've really appreciated hearing encouraging words from Mike Richards. Of all the people working with Giroux these days Richards has a unique perspective on what Giroux was (is) going through.

I can't say I'm unhappy with the Flyers' roster these days but I sure wish we still had #18.

Perfect, I totally agree.

"G, the coke in Merion is the best around Philly..."

In all seriousness that is a cool article and nice jestrure.  I dont think it has anything to do with "once a Flyer, always a Flyer" at all.   I think it was one friend to another...  We all pretend like Richards misses Philly but I have to think he doesn't.

This.  I'm sure he is fond of some of the people he met in Philly but it ends there.   He won a Stanley Cup in LA and if you are a young bachelor with a lot of money and a penchant to party, LA is a great city. 

This.  I'm sure he is fond of some of the people he met in Philly but it ends there.   He won a Stanley Cup in LA and if you are a young bachelor with a lot of money and a penchant to party, LA is a great city. 

Agreed... I love Richards and his jersey is still in my closet.   I think it was a great move for Richards but I would bet he has a lot of hard feelings towards the organization.  I see it nothing more than helping a friend out...  and let's be real - a text message is not what turned around his game.   It is a nice gesture and all but at the end of the day G started to play more of a Team game. 

He is playing w/ less pressure, living in sunny LA and wearing a ring.   

Edited by murraycraven