Like to See Hextall get a shot...

Freddy Fog

I would like to see Hexy get a shot at growing and managing this team.  I was a Holmgren fan, but the more I look at his results, I am dissappointed.  There are always things going on behind the scenes that we never get to see, and he may be awesome in some respect that I dont have access to, but the list of busted trades is expanding.  There are numerous examples of the busts on this sight, so I won't list them, but I think it is time for a new voice in the GM ranks.  Sorry Homer, but the only other job that allows you to stay on after so many mistakes is a TV Weatherman.  I can't believe John Bolaris really writing a weather column for Philly.com.  His forecast for the Eagles game was Waaaay off, but I'm sure he will be at it again this weekend, but I digress. 

Any thoughts?

The wayI look at this group of Players (as a Team) is they are simply at best a .500 team this year.   Before going into the season I thought they were not a playoff Team.   Homer has pretty much screwed the pooch on a number of bad trades.   I will w/hold judgement on the Richards/Carter trades b/c it is going to take some patience to see if the trade paid off.   There are a number of other trades, deals, NMC/NTCs that Homer messed up and frankly the next GM is going to have his work cut out for him.  

Hopefully Homer gets fired at the end of the season and Hextall gets his chance.   I am not saying Hexy will be good but someone who is at least competent would be a step in the right direction.  

That is where my thoughts were, if Hexy had any imput into the state of the Kings, then we would be in good hands I think.

That is the hope...   IMO, it can't come soon enough.  My fear is that Homer is going to be on a shopping spree for >35 aging veterans this offseason.   Lord only knows what that man will do w/ an open purse and inflated cap space.  

That is the hope...   IMO, it can't come soon enough.

I'm a little concerned of what Hexy could/would do hell he's already moved Schenn and Simmer once...i'll give Homer the rest of the year maybe.

Then in the offseason...then Hexy if they perform poorly...then he'll then bring Tocchet in as HC....

Living in WNY, the rumors going around now on local sports talk radio say that Lafontaine has added Hexy as a potential candidate for the Sabres GM job. Hopefully this is just BS because I want Hextall as the next Flyers GM.

I don't think any of GM candidates could live up to Keith Allen! First thing Ed Snider has to have Clarkie surgically removed from his hip,politely dismiss Homer and pass the reign to a younger,competent executive. Brian Burke seems to be in big demand,knows how to build a winner,former Maine Mariner,it always puzzled me why he's never been mentioned. This chronic failure chain of the old boys doin' their thing really sucks!

Holmgren, Hextall, Burke, the beer guy, whomever -- I don't think it will make much of a difference as we all know who's in charge of this organization.  The culture is driven from the top-down and as Snider's said repeatedly there's nothing wrong with the culture in this organization.

I'm a little concerned of what Hexy could/would do hell he's already moved Schenn and Simmer once...

I doubt that was Hextall, Lombardi was the one making the trades. My understanding is that Hextall's main responsibility with the Kings was developing the farm system.

I'm a little concerned of what Hexy could/would do hell he's already moved Schenn and Simmer once...i'll give Homer the rest of the year maybe.

Then in the offseason...then Hexy if they perform poorly...then he'll then bring Tocchet in as HC....

Whatever moves they did in LA...it worked. They won a cup

Here's the thing I don't get about the Hexy excitement. It's a common complaint that Snider doesn't look outside the organization, but people are all about Hexy replacing Homer? Why is this theoretical move ok, but any other time it's someone who has played for the organIzation people are up and arms about Snider's tendency to look to the old boys network?

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

This team isn't winning a cup by adding Richards. Hopefully in a few years when the likes of Schenn, Couturier, Voracek and Simmonds are on their "A" game we've added a couple of good defencemen and are more of a contender. I honestly think that trade and the Carter one were "present wins" for LA and well, LA via Columbus, and future wins for us.

#fanatic V3.0

Fans are looking at Hextall because he has been away from the Flyers family for a number of years and he learned how to build a team from the bottom up with Lombardi. So if he does replace Holmgren then hopefully Snider lets him build the team his way. Hexie also knows how Snider is as an owner so he'll know how to handle the situation if it ever arises.

#fanatic V3.0

Fans are looking at Hextall because he has been away from the Flyers family for a number of years and he learned how to build a team from the bottom up with Lombardi. So if he does replace Holmgren then hopefully Snider lets him build the team his way. Hexie also knows how Snider is as an owner so he'll know how to handle the situation if it ever arises.

Sounds like Ken Hitchcock (minus the player thing). Both were here, left, won a cup elsewhere, and came back.

If he comes in and does well, nobody will take issue with it, but if he struggles I bet it takes about 10 minutes before we hear the "Another former player" line.

Edited by fanaticV3.0
  • Like 1

I too would give Hextall the job, but GIVE him the job. It is quite obvious the culture of the hockey team is poisoned, and every member of the Flyers organization is responsible. Either that or the talent is vastly over-rated, in which case the scouting staff and player development group needs to be removed. There is also a complete lack of leadership, which is also obvious when you see how much the Schenns and Giroux have regressed this year. The third possibility is that Snider is satisfied with the results as long as the building is full every night. 

The entry draft is top heavy the next few years, so maybe now is the time to bottom out and draft early. I don't think I can stand any more long term contracts with NTC clauses for 35 year old dogs. It doesn't work. You have to draft well and develop and tweak with UFA's, not try and build your team with them. 

On the upside, it appears Mason is the real deal, and it seems that Couturier is starting to fill out. Hopefully they don't screw them up. Strength down the middle is where it all starts.