Evander Kane being Shopped?

According to @HabsRumorSource on Twitter, the Winnipeg Jets are actively shopping speedy forward Evander Kane. The teams that have been reported as interested in Kane are the Canadiens, Bruins, Flyers and the dark horse candidate is the Leafs. However, a deal is not imminent as Kevin Chevaldayoff is asking for a 1st rounder, two roster players and a high end prospect.

Then earlier today, rumor source tweeted that the Canadiens are shopping Lars Eller and to look out for the Habs to make a deal "out of left field"

The Habs could probably give up their 1st pick, Eller, Bourque and possibly Zachary Fucale in order to get him, but it's clear that the asking price for this player is too high right now.

What do you guys think?

Guys on HockeyCentral said there wasn't any truth that the Jets were actually shopping him. But they also said they were willing to listen to offers on anyone if a team wants to pay the right price. So.....whatever that means. 

I guess it's just reality, opposite of when someone says something like "Giroux is untouchable". Once Gretzky was traded, EVERYONE is tradeable. 

Why am I the only one that thinks Kane is a nice player but not worth ANYWHERE near that.

Is it the idiotic return that the Sabres got for Vanek that is driving up the cost of only above average, but not game changing, players?

Why am I the only one that thinks Kane is a nice player but not worth ANYWHERE near that.

Is it the idiotic return that the Sabres got for Vanek that is driving up the cost of only above average, but not game changing, players?

I don't think Kane is worth that much, but he is one heck of a player. So fast and his shot is deadly accurate. Any team would love to have him in a number one role

I don't think Kane is worth that much, but he is one heck of a player. So fast and his shot is deadly accurate. Any team would love to have him in a number one role

I agree he's a first line Winger on most teams but I also agree he's not worth nearly that price

He reminds me too much of P.K. Subban and not just because he is black. He comes across as a wannabe gangster unless I am confusing his off ice antics with someone else..........Great skills and great individual player but I would be willing to bet his team work leaves something to be desired...

Edited by flyerrod

@flyerrod

You're not really calling PK Subban "gangsta" are you? I mean he may be over the top enthusiastic. He may be a bit full of himself. But he certainly doesn't have that "I'm too tough especially with my homies backing me up" bs attitude. Subban is actually super positive and very outgoing. He's got some growing up to do (which he is well on the way) but gangster, no way.

FWIW the scuttlebutt here in the 'Peg is that Kane, of all the Jets, is the most likely to be traded. But Chevvy will want top dollar so that may scuttle a deal.

Kane is a talent. When he's on his game he's an incredibly dynamic/game-changing player. I worry about his apparent attitude problem as would many GMs I imagine...

According to @HabsRumorSource on Twitter, the Winnipeg Jets are actively shopping speedy forward Evander Kane. The teams that have been reported as interested in Kane are the Canadiens, Bruins, Flyers and the dark horse candidate is the Leafs. However, a deal is not imminent as Kevin Chevaldayoff is asking for a 1st rounder, two roster players and a high end prospect.

Then earlier today, rumor source tweeted that the Canadiens are shopping Lars Eller and to look out for the Habs to make a deal "out of left field"

The Habs could probably give up their 1st pick, Eller, Bourque and possibly Zachary Fucale in order to get him, but it's clear that the asking price for this player is too high right now.

What do you guys think?

Do you know that they are asking that much or are just guessing?  Either way, that's way too much for him. It's just too many assets for one guy of his level.

I'd inquire about him if I were Homer. I want a top-line winger and I've been high on the idea of shopping Laughton lately. I really can't see where he fits on the team (and the team really does need a #1 winger). I also want that winger for Giroux sooner rather than later.

Do you know that they are asking that much or are just guessing?  Either way, that's way too much for him. It's just too many assets for one guy of his level.

I'd inquire about him if I were Homer. I want a top-line winger and I've been high on the idea of shopping Laughton lately. I really can't see where he fits on the team (and the team really does need a #1 winger). I also want that winger for Giroux sooner rather than later.

I would not be on board with any deal involving Laughton. For one thing, we know he's an excellent 2 way player, but we don't even know his ceiling for offense in the NHL. There is no way to really put a finger on his value. He could very well be the best center in the entire org. With that kind of upside, I don't want to deal him for a guy who has issues and is on a long and frustrating scoring drought. The talent is certainly there with Evander, but I just don't like the idea of giving up a talented prospect for someone else's problem. Who knows, in 3 years from now, maybe Laughton and Coots are the #1 and #2 centers on this team and Schenn and Giroux are permanently converted to wingers. 

I would not be on board with any deal involving Laughton. For one thing, we know he's an excellent 2 way player, but we don't even know his ceiling for offense in the NHL. There is no way to really put a finger on his value. He could very well be the best center in the entire org. With that kind of upside, I don't want to deal him for a guy who has issues and is on a long and frustrating scoring drought. The talent is certainly there with Evander, but I just don't like the idea of giving up a talented prospect for someone else's problem. Who knows, in 3 years from now, maybe Laughton and Coots are the #1 and #2 centers on this team and Schenn and Giroux are permanently converted to wingers. 

OK, fine.

Your first line center is signed for eight more years. Your second line center is signed for four more. Your "third line" center is Couturier. On top of that, Schenn's a "natural center." Laughton's not going to show anyone that he's the best center in the organization for at least three, if not five years. I realize you see that, but where does he go in the meantime and does trigger-happy Homer stick to his guns?

I don't expect him to break through the logjam and, barring some serious showing in training camp. If the organization does see him as a potential top center in the league, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Schenn boys traded for other young defensive help.

And his "upside" is still second line center.

Unless they move Giroux to wing...

@radoran  I realize the logjam looks daunting, but a feisty talent like Laughton can break up a log jam pretty quick. Guys can get dealt, moved position, injuries can happen...tons of variables. In the end, if he shows he belongs, hell or high water, he will be there. All of the guys above him in the depth chart, Giroux, Vinny and maybe Schenn have all shown they can convert to wing if necessary. It's all about getting the best group of forwards on the ice at the same time. I don't think Giroux's stats would suffer enormously if converted to winger.

@radoran  I realize the logjam looks daunting, but a feisty talent like Laughton can break up a log jam pretty quick. Guys can get dealt, moved position, injuries can happen...tons of variables. In the end, if he shows he belongs, hell or high water, he will be there. All of the guys above him in the depth chart, Giroux, Vinny and maybe Schenn have all shown they can convert to wing if necessary. It's all about getting the best group of forwards on the ice at the same time. I don't think Giroux's stats would suffer enormously if converted to winger.

I've been advocating Giroux on the wing ever since they switched him to center.

I would be happy as heck if Laughton panned out. That said, I have no dog in that race. He proves it or he doesn't. 

I'm just saying that given the predilections of the guy at the helm - and the fact that there are a grand total of three draft picks on the roster - one of which has been traded away, played for two other teams, and returned - I'm not sanguine about them suddenly developing a desire to let their young guys develop.

Happy to be wrong.

Jeff Carter is a 60 goal scorer too, right?

You're talking about moving not one, but up to three players from center to wing - one of which is your captain, your #1 center, and leading goal scorer - for a kid with 5 games of NHL experience. He's completely unproven at the professonal level. How does that make any sense at all?

Jeff Carter is a 60 goal scorer too, right?

You're talking about moving not one, but up to three players from center to wing - one of which is your captain, your #1 center, and leading goal scorer - for a kid with 5 games of NHL experience. He's completely unproven at the professonal level. How does that make any sense at all?

It makes about as much sense as trading one of the best two way centers I've seen in awhile who's development is measured in leaps and bounds. I'd trade LeCavalier for anything before I'd deal Laughton. I'm not saying Laughton is better now, but we're no contender now either. See Sean Couturier.

As for jammers 60 goals prediction, I thought it was over the top, but Carter IS still one of the leagues elite goal scorers, whether people on here want to admit it or not.

It makes about as much sense as trading one of the best two way centers I've seen in awhile who's development is measured in leaps and bounds. I'd trade LeCavalier for anything before I'd deal Laughton. I'm not saying Laughton is better now, but we're no contender now either. See Sean Couturier.

As for jammers 60 goals prediction, I thought it was over the top, but Carter IS still one of the leagues elite goal scorers, whether people on here want to admit it or not.

1. Nobody wants LeCavalier right now regardless of how much you "want to" trade him. This isn't fantasy hockey.

2. He's playing against a bunch of kids.

3. You want to move players to another position (like that hasn't happened enough) for a kid tearing it up against a bunch of kids. Giroux and Schenn have already been moved to another position. That's not to say they can never be moved again, but what's the point of having them play out of their natural position for the rest of this year and move them back when Superman makes the team? You are one of the biggest advocates of youth, long term thinking, but are willing to mess with chemistry the second you get excited about one of these kids in juniors.

If a team needs a sniper, Carter is a fine choice. There's nothing wrong with him if that's the kind of player you need. But his production has dropped. He is 8th for most goals in the last 5 years. He's 25th in the last 3. Nothing wrong with being 25th, but I don't think he's an elite player. A good one, sure. I would have called him an elite goal scorer just a few years ago though, yeah. I can admit that and have no problems doing so.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

@fanaticV3.0

There are teams that might take LeCavalier at the deadline...he's still a very good player. And I'm not advocating trading him...just that I'd trade him over Laughton.

ALL junior players play against a bunch of kids...he IS a kid. Ya, I called him Superman. 

I'm not even sure Laughton makes the Flyers next year. I realize we're stacked at center...not a bad position to be in. Laughton might still need a year or two in the A...only time will tell. I'm not saying Laughton is better than VLC right now...or anyone else for that matter. You mentioned you'd be willing to trade him and I really don't think he's a guy we should trade. He just looks like one of those guys that does anything to win..and they're few and far between. And since we're nowhere near being a legitimate contender I'd rather not "go for it". The reason our prospect cupboard needs restocking is because Holmgren has traded way too many young guys/draft picks for players who aren't even on the team anymore. That's gotta stop.

• Like 1

@fanaticV3.0

There are teams that might take LeCavalier at the deadline...he's still a very good player. And I'm not advocating trading him...just that I'd trade him over Laughton.

ALL junior players play against a bunch of kids...he IS a kid. Ya, I called him Superman.

I'm not even sure Laughton makes the Flyers next year. I realize we're stacked at center...not a bad position to be in. Laughton might still need a year or two in the A...only time will tell. I'm not saying Laughton is better than VLC right now...or anyone else for that matter. You mentioned you'd be willing to trade him and I really don't think he's a guy we should trade. He just looks like one of those guys that does anything to win..and they're few and far between. And since we're nowhere near being a legitimate contender I'd rather not "go for it". The reason our prospect cupboard needs restocking is because Holmgren has traded way too many young guys/draft picks for players who aren't even on the team anymore. That's gotta stop.

Yes I agree no way I trade him before we even know what they have yet...no need to Patrick Sharp this kid...especially for Kane...I'll pass nkw if you want to talk for maybe Hartnell or Jake I'm all ears....not saying absolutely for Jake but I'll listen no harm in that....Cousins I'd include too.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yes I agree no way I trade him before we even know what they have yet...no need to Patrick Sharp this kid...especially for Kane...I'll pass nkw if you want to talk for maybe Hartnell or Jake I'm all ears....not saying absolutely for Jake but I'll listen no harm in that....Cousins I'd include too.

Nobody wants Hartnell, so lets stop pretending.

Patrick Sharp was being openly screwed. The coach refused to play him in any other position than on the 4th line with Fedoruk and some other nobodies. As bad as a position as that position is, Laughton isn't even a factor on the team yet and they have no spot for him right now. There is no place for him on the team with Giroux, Vinny/Schenn, and Courturier on the team. Kane on the otherhand fills a current need ( a first line winger).