Flat

Jam1986

I didn't even watch or listen to the 1st and 2nd period because I couldn't, but from what I've seen it's consistently that the defense isn't mobile enough. They also trapped in their own zone when the other team aggressively forechecks with a lot of speed. They get beat to almost every loose puck along the boards in their own zone. They gave up too many shots tonight that were great scoring chances, and Mason couldn't bail them out this time.

• Like 1

Greetings:

I hope to G_d that the "Berube Effect" isn't wearing off. Agreed with Poulin that the effort seemed lacking. But FD is right on the D--look porous at times due to limited speed and mobility. Schenn's coughing up the puck cost us dearly.

Mason is become....I hate to say it...."Bryz-like."  He makes brilliant stops that show amazing athleticism. Then he lets in goals that seem soft. Tonight, I wouldn't fault him on the game winner. Yes, it was a juicy rebound. But nobody was around to impede Jurusti.

Tomorrow's game with Columbus should be interesting.

Howie

Then to top it ll off Berube calls a timeout Carolina was beat and guilty of an icing. Not sure what the Hurricanes would have done if he did not call the T O>> but maybe they would have to use their own T O, Not even sure that would have made any difference but it was  not the right move. JMHO

Flat is a good word for the effort. 

I am starting the believe that Homer and Ed do not give a **** as long as the bozos keep going down there to watch this garbage,

How can they sit there, watch that team and not make changes, I have seen enough of Luke Schenn and it is time to sit him. Gus just sits in the press box wondering what the F$#@,  

I think the Berube Effect is winding down and the players look distracted.   I Give Up..... 

Edited by Erfurter1937

Greetings:

Mason is become....I hate to say it...."Bryz-like."  He makes brilliant stops that show amazing athleticism. Then he lets in goals that seem soft. Tonight, I wouldn't fault him on the game winner. Yes, it was a juicy rebound. But nobody was around to impede Jurusti.

Did you just use the term "amazing athleticism" and "Bryz-like", together? 

I just lost a lot of respect for you there Howie.  ;)

If you're always a step slower than the guy racing you to the puck, effort takes you only so far. The defense is not mobile enough, think about all the times the Flyers are on offense, wrap the puck around the boards and no one is there. I see that scenario happen at least 10 times a game. Just not enough nimble , skilled guys in the blue line corps...then adding , Downie, Courturier, VLC, Hartnell to the top 9 forwards that's almost half the top nine that are average skaters, and average is being charitable. The team needs an infusion of speed from somewhere. Teams that skate and forecheck well will give our boys problems. That is the way of it.

then adding , Downie, Courturier, VLC, Hartnell

and some on this board claimed that Downie was "just what this Team needed" :ph34r:

take solice in the fact that the Flyers are an average Team in a terrible division.  No matter how good the offense and goaltending may be this Team will never go anywhere w/ this defense.  

Also not sure how anyone can say Mason is like Bryz... I will take Mason any day of the week.   Has he been perfect lately?  No...he has done enough to keep them in the game on most nights and very good late in the game.  We will see where they stand in the upcoming games b/c it wont be easy to get points.

PS:  Please, please rid this group of Fluke Schenn...   please.  

Edited by murraycraven

and some on this board claimed that Downie was "just what this Team needed" :ph34r:

take solice in the fact that the Flyers are an average Team in a terrible division.  No matter how good the offense and goaltending may be this Team will never go anywhere w/ this defense.  

Also not sure how anyone can say Mason is like Bryz... I will take Mason any day of the week.   Has he been perfect?  No...he has done enough to keep them in the game on most nights.  We will see where they stand in the upcoming games b/c it wont be easy to get points.

It's really hard to fault Mason for any of the goals last night. The Semin shot (hee hee) was laser-like and coming through a screen. The Gerbe goal was a breakaway. Sick move or not, breakaways are 50/50 and it's hard to fault the goalie when he doesn't make the save. And the Tlusty goal was some very quick hands in close off a rebound. The Flyers were hemmed in and made some bad plays on that whole sequence.

Next week is going to be rough. That West coast trip could easily be demoralizing.

Bottom line, though, the Flyers were just very very flat last night. No jump or energy to their game, no real sense of urgency.

The Semin shot (hee hee)

I was waiting for that to come up!  well played sir!

I agree w/ everything Brel.  I dont really blame Mason on any of the goals.   The Tlusty goal was a big rebound but no defense to clear the porch for Mason. 

They simply came out of the gate flat. The Canes are on the road and couped up in a hotel for 2 days and the Flyers are the Team with a shopping 3 shots in the 1st period?  Mason could be the next Marty B but if the defense cant get tht puck out of it's own end it wont matter much.  

"Demoralizing" is the perfect description of what this roadtrip could turn into.   I think the Flyers are a product of a bad division honestly.   They simply can not compete w/ the Pens, Hawks, Ducks, etc...  I like the youth on this Team but always make it a point to remember this Team is still in transition.

Edited by murraycraven

They simply can not compete w/ the Pens, Hawks, Ducks, etc...  I like the youth on this Team but always make it a point to remember this Team is still in transition.

How long does this "transition" last? Just curious.

Flyers are rightnow 7th in the east - and essentially tied with the Blue Jackets and the Red Wings (given their games in hand). In the West they're ninth, behind even Minnesota (a team most of us around here would consider very disappointing and underachieving).

Even with all the "improvement" this team remains a borderline playoff team and there's precious little to suggest a Kings or 2010-like run.

I can appreciate a "transition" team, but what are they "transitioning" to? Simmonds is lighting it up. BSchenn is showing significant signs of life. Voracek is looking lost far too too often and Couturier continues his sine wave development (up/down/up/down).

• Like 1

How long does this "transition" last? Just curious.

Flyers are rightnow 7th in the east - and essentially tied with the Blue Jackets and the Red Wings (given their games in hand). In the West they're ninth, behind even Minnesota (a team most of us around here would consider very disappointing and underachieving).

Even with all the "improvement" this team remains a borderline playoff team and there's precious little to suggest a Kings or 2010-like run.

I can appreciate a "transition" team, but what are they "transitioning" to? Simmonds is lighting it up. BSchenn is showing significant signs of life. Voracek is looking lost far too too often and Couturier continues his sine wave development (up/down/up/down).

Rad, that is the million dollar question.   If this Team had an acutal NHL defense I would say they are on the verge of being a very good Team.  Outside of Coburn and Grossman I think this defense needs to be blown up.  I dont see Streit going anywhere but I dont see this Team being successful w/ the current d roster.  

Cooter has been up and down but he is still the best defensive forward on the roster and still incredibly young.   I like this core group but just have no faith in the defense whatsoever.  To answer your question is tough b/c you are bacnking on the development of young players and it is just too unpredictable.  That assumes they are going to turn out to be the players most thought they would be... this also could be fool's gold. 

A very good and fair question but I am not sure what the answer really is... I think they are 3 years away from being contenders but that all depends on the moves and non-moves that  Homer executes which is terrifying.

murraycraven, on 23 Jan 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I was waiting for that to come up! well played sir!

I agree w/ everything Brel. I dont really blame Mason on any of the goals. The Tlusty goal was a big rebound but no defense to clear the porch for Mason.

They simply came out of the gate flat. The Canes are on the road and couped up in a hotel for 2 days and the Flyers are the Team with a shopping 3 shots in the 1st period? Mason could be the next Marty B but if the defense cant get tht puck out of it's own end it wont matter much.

"Demoralizing" is the perfect description of what this roadtrip could turn into. I think the Flyers are a product of a bad division honestly. They simply can not compete w/ the Pens, Hawks, Ducks, etc... I like the youth on this Team but always make it a point to remember this Team is still in transition.

I think that's the contradiction with this team.

I agree that the forwards look like a young, inexperienced group learning to play together, and are part of a transition.

But what about defense? I mean, the only one for whom we can make that argument is sitting in the pressbox most nights (Gus).

It's just that our defense is old, immobile, and really, subpar as defensemen. Schenn is the only mid-20s guy who plays regularly. And I honestly expected a lot more out of a 5th overall draft pick in his 6th NHL season. He can't hide behind the "young" and "inexperienced" labels anymore. I think Homer really screwed the pooch on that one.

I have a feeling it will be several more years of defensive growing pains unless we manage to find a truly stabilizing #1 defenseman. If Homer finds one through trade, we will get fleeced and certainly overpay. As UFAs, there are no true #1s out there because smart teams lock these guys up. THat leaves draft picks and development - and we just don't have that in our cupboard right now. *IF*, and that's a big *IF*, Morin ever develops into a Pronger-lite, true #1 defenseman, that's AT LEAST 6 years away when he'd be 23-24.

Sorry for the little rant over the last 2 paragraphs... that's what happens when you type half your post, leave for a half hour, and come back to finish the rest. :)

I think that's the contradiction with this team.

I agree that the forwards look like a young, inexperienced group learning to play together, and are part of a transition.

But what about defense? I mean, the only one for whom we can make that argument is sitting in the pressbox most nights (Gus).

It's just that our defense is old, immobile, and really, subpar as defensemen. Schenn is the only mid-20s guy who plays regularly. And I honestly expected a lot more out of a 5th overall draft pick in his 6th NHL season. He can't hide behind the "young" and "inexperienced" labels anymore. I think Homer really screwed the pooch on that one.

I have a feeling it will be several more years of defensive growing pains unless we manage to find a truly stabilizing #1 defenseman. If Homer finds one through trade, we will get fleeced and certainly overpay. As UFAs, there are no true #1s out there because smart teams lock these guys up. THat leaves draft picks and development - and we just don't have that in our cupboard right now. *IF*, and that's a big *IF*, Morin ever develops into a Pronger-lite, true #1 defenseman, that's AT LEAST 6 years away when he'd be 23-24.

Sorry for the little rant over the last 2 paragraphs... that's what happens when you type half your post, leave for a half hour, and come back to finish the rest. :)

No apology necessary as I am onboard w/ eveything you say.   There is a fine line b/t being patient w/ a young core and the realization that maybe the players are not what you had thought or hoped for.  

Fluke Schenn is just flat out terrible.   IMO he is the finished project and how he was picked 5th overall is beyond explanation when you look at some of the dmen that came out of that draft.   This trade was a monumental failure IMO...   He is the 1st to go on my list...

• Like 1

When they played "flat" last year it was "because" of the goalie.

When they played "flat" to start the season, it was "because" of the coach.

Now that they're still playing "flat" I guess we need a new scapegoat to excuse all of the players who keep saying "we're not skating, we're not working" and the management team that selected all of them.

I don't know what "key" any of this is in. I just know that I've heard the song before.

When they played "flat" last year it was "because" of the goalie.

When they played "flat" to start the season, it was "because" of the coach.

Now that they're still playing "flat" I guess we need a new scapegoat to excuse all of the players who keep saying "we're not skating, we're not working" and the management team that selected all of them.

I don't know what "key" any of this is in. I just know that I've heard the song before.

I think it's in the key of $

Flat is a good word for the effort. 

I am starting the believe that Homer and Ed do not give a **** as long as the bozos keep going down there to watch this garbage,

How can they sit there, watch that team and not make changes, I have seen enough of Luke Schenn and it is time to sit him. Gus just sits in the press box wondering what the F$#@,  

I think the Berube Effect is winding down and the players look distracted.   I Give Up..... 

I know you are frustrared with the team as am I, however as one of the "bozos" STHs that keeps showing up to watch the games I reject the premise that Homer and Ed's actions are based on what we the fans do.  Ed is stuborn and arrogant becasue he is Ed.  Becasue they won 2 cups in the 70s he thinks he knows more than all of us. ("We dont need a fresh perspective, Out culture is to win" etc.) 

Comcast has deep pockets and it is not like he is there looking at bottom line stuff to keep the franchise afloat.  If I give up my season tickets the Flyers wont even bat and eye and the only one I will hurt is me because I enjoy going to the games (even when they suck).  I boo them off the ice, I chant "Fire Holmgren" and rip the team when they are underperforming but in the grand scheme of things my opinion isnt going change Ed's and Homer's minds.  They are going to do what they do no matter what becasue they are who they are. 

As far as making changes go...every time that happens Homer gets us in more of a mess.  I am done with major changes for a while as it keeps settting the team back (save for something that can help this defense).  As for lineup changes, Berube has benched guys when they are not performing, however I do agree with you that Luke Schenn deserves some time in the pressbox himself with Hal Gill. 

Edited by Poulin20