Callahan to Tampa

hf101

Boomer Esiaison, who has a fairly good track record in his predictions is tweeting that Callahan will be traded.  The front runner at the moment is Callahan to Tampa for Marty St. Louis.  St louis gives the Rangers another forward who can play the PP especially with Zuccarello out with a broken hand.  Callahan gives the Lightning a gritty forward and a conditional pick if he signs with them.

Jan Levine of Hockeybuzz is also reporting that Girardi will then  sign and become captain.

This rumor makes a lot of sense as St. Louis has history with Richards.  St. Louis has another year on his contract at $5.635M.  Maybe the Lightning know Stamkos isn't able to return to full form this season and they are building for the future with Filppula out also.

I can see Callahan being dealt but not St. Louis.

St. Louis is an icon and with Vinnie departing and the team looking like a quasi contender I cannot see them parting with the last link to their past.  

And as far as the Rangers, the collection of thirty somethings already in place makes them one of the oldest teams in the league and St. Louis while talented and still scoring is not getting any younger.

This rumor continues to grow as Nick Kypreos is reporting  via twitter - "that St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I'm told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now"

Was the relationship with Yzerman fractured by not chosing St. Louis?  -- http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Michael-Stuart/Report-St-Louis-Asked-for-a-Trade-Callahan-the-Rumored-Return/173/58176

Boomer Esiaison, who has a fairly good track record in his predictions is tweeting that Callahan will be traded.  The front runner at the moment is Callahan to Tampa for Marty St. Louis.  St louis gives the Rangers another forward who can play the PP especially with Zuccarello out with a broken hand.  Callahan gives the Lightning a gritty forward and a conditional pick if he signs with them.

Jan Levine of Hockeybuzz is also reporting that Girardi will then  sign and become captain.

This rumor makes a lot of sense as St. Louis has history with Richards.  St. Louis has another year on his contract at $5.635M.  Maybe the Lightning know Stamkos isn't able to return to full form this season and they are building for the future with Filppula out also.

Boomer Esiason, the football dude?  I'm assuming this came from his NYC based radio show?

Is Callahan really a $7m/season kind of player? His point totals are underwhelming for someone commanding that kind of money, and he's going to be 29 in a few weeks.

But he was the captain. Is he worth that kind of money?

Is Callahan really a $7m/season kind of player? His point totals are underwhelming for someone commanding that kind of money, and he's going to be 29 in a few weeks.

But he was the captain. Is he worth that kind of money?

I say no, He is a 6.5 year player x 5 but then we live in a world where Claude Giroux is an 8 million dollar a year player.

so ... who f'in knows.

i like callahan a lot i would love him in the orange and black but not at 7 a year.

Wow.  That's one blockbuster deal.  Callahan was sort of a heart and soul of the Rangers for quite some time.  And considering the high picks going the Tampa way, I would say Yzerman won this trade.  But time will tell.

I just typed in the Rangers "folder" that this is a robbery by Yzerman.  Both players are sort of on the downside of their careers (although by no means eitehr one is done), but the high picks make this as lopsided as it gets.  Callahan's tenacity and grit will be missed.

Your point is well made and a good one.  I will post link from now on.  But this is a done deal to other members.  I do not understand why the Rangers would give them so much.  To me its a straight up trade.  In fact, I will take Calahan over St Louis any day. Rangers got robbed giving up a number one pick.  Are you kidding?  This is a big win for Tampa

Giving up a number one? They may have given up TWO number ones AND their captain if they make the ECFs.

I think the Rags got robbed unless they make the Final win the Cup.

They do get another year out of MSL, but - speaking as one of the biggest MSL fans on the planet - I just don't think he's worth that price.

I could see if it had been Vanek.  But this is just ridiculous

The only reason Vanek might be more valuable is because of age. However, MSL still has a year on his deal while Vanek is UFA.

MSL outscores Vanek this season. And last season. And the one before that. And the one before that. And the one before that. And the one before that.

In fact, Vanek has never outscored MSL. Ever.

I still don't give up a top six forward and (potentially) two #1s for a 38-year-old.

Vanek was out injured for parts of all of those seasons you mention and this year has been a big transition for him.  Ill take Vanek over him any day

So your position is that Vanek was injured every season. Which is a good point - he hasn't played a full season since 07-08. MSL outscored him in that season. And the full season he played the year before that.

But Vanek did play 78 games in 11-12 and 80 in 10-11.

And MSL outscored him in both of those, too.

Stop making excuses. Talk to me when Vanek wins an Art Ross or a Hart.

I still don't give up a top six forward and (potentially) two #1s for a 38-year-old.

THIS!

Rangers give up the soul of their team again.  First Prust now Callahan.  IT takes 4 quality balanced lines these days.  Sather failed again.

So your position is that Vanek was injured every season. Which is a good point - he hasn't played a full season since 07-08. MSL outscored him in that season. And the full season he played the year before that.

But Vanek did play 78 games in 11-12 and 80 in 10-11.

And MSL outscored him in both of those, too.

Stop making excuses. Talk to me when Vanek wins an Art Ross or a Hart.

I can't wait for some walks down memory lane with Jaroslav Halak.

Ah yes, he was one incredible Sabre, probably the 2nd greatest goalie of alltime.

I can't wait for some walks down memory lane with Jaroslav Halak.

Ah yes, he was one incredible Sabre, probably the 2nd greatest goalie of alltime.

Behind Tom Barasso, right?

I dunno.

Martin St. Louis is a pip.  He's old, but he can still play.  Callahan is a third or fourth rate Mike Keane. 

St. Louis will help the Rangers this year and maybe next.  Callahan won't make a bit of difference in the fortunes of Tampa. 

I think Rangers won this trade.

Just a few short years ago, only the true superstars made 7 mill a year.....now 20 goal scorers with grit and heart are hauling in 7 mill???   WOW.  Callahan should have another 4-5 good years left, so throw in the picks and this is outright robbery of epic proportions. Somehow Stevie Y messes up, disses his star and turns it into a windfall...this guy has a horseshoe up his arse.

Of course, Marty is the better player, but as many have mentioned, at 38...how much can possibly be left in the tank?  This is a HORRID trade by Sather. If you are not gonna re-sign Callahan, then yes, by all means trade him....it makes perfect sense to NOT pay Callahan that kinda cash....but to throw in the 1 or maybe even 2 first rounders....that is unforgivable!!  I just don't see the Rangers having enough depth at forward to win it all, great goalie, excellent defense, but who is gonna score after the top 4 players? 

Tampa Bay just got a lot stronger, a lot grittier and a lot tougher to deal with!!

• Like 1