Hagg signs with Flyers

brelic

This is a translated article from Aftonbladet in Sweden. Sounds like he's coming here to finish the season with the Phantoms. Can't wait to see how he adjusts.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/modo/article18582181.ab

Modo loses one of its most promising defenders. 
Sportbladet can reveal that Robert Hägg, 19, chooses game in North America next season - he has signed with the Philadelphia Flyers and move there already on Monday.
Modo was knocked out already in the play-in game for the championship quarterfinals and the season ended just over a week ago. 
Shortly afterwards announced Markus Naslund that he drop out of the job as general manager of Modo. 
Now drop the club also one of its most promising slopes. 
Sportbladet can reveal that Robert Hägg, 19, has signed for the Philadelphia Flyers, the NHL club he was drafted by, and moving to the U.S. is already on Monday to finish the season in North America. 
- I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Continuing in the AHL
What about your season in Modo?
- It has been good, but I have not quite got the ice age I want. I thought it would be more for the JVM. It went well for me there.
According to data traveling Hägg the U.S. back on Monday and will continue the season in Philadelphia's farm team Adirondack Phantoms. And the idea is that he will play in North America next season.
- I do not comment on that, he says about the future.
Hägg played the JVM at the end, was one of the team's top defenders, until the final, he had not been on a single baklängesmål.

@brelic

Nice. I thought one of the reasons he fell in the draft was he wasn't sure about coming over?

We could definately use more "slopes".

LOL. I don't know how Homer could be so stupid as to sign a player who has not been on a single baklängesmål. How many baklängesmåls has Coburn been on... 6? 7? 

;)

Ok, in all seriousness, this is great news. He gets the last 10-15 games of the AHL season as a bit of a primer, meet the guys, the staff, adjust to the culture, so that by the fall, he can focus on hockey.

@brelic

Nice. I thought one of the reasons he fell in the draft was he wasn't sure about coming over?

I never heard that. I think he dropped because of a combination of splitting time between MODO's junior and senior teams and not really having a great year, and some other players (like Morin) shooting up the charts.

After the Flyers drafted him he said that expected to play one more year in Sweden and then possibly come over. So that sounds like what he's doing.

@JackStraw

Maybe I'm mixing him up with another prospect in last years draft. But I thought he had reservations about playing in North America. It must not have been him though...he came over for the draft.

In the interview I saw he definitely mentioned the possibility of coming over to play in the AHL after one more year in Sweden. He wasn't definite about it, I think he was thinking of what would be the best for his development. But I never got any impression that he didn't want to play in the NHL. Just that he was giving serious thought to what would be the best route to get there. The Swedish Elite League is supposed to be a better league than the AHL, but I think he will get more playing time and of course exposure to the North American game with the Phantoms. So I think it's a good move for him.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/modo/article18582181.ab

Also reported on Meltzer's blog. He'll be in North America Monday and presumably will be playing for the Phantoms for the rest of this season.

Exciting times.

Good for Hagg and Homer to get some time in this season with the Phantoms.  As questionable as his success with Modo, I do recall he played well for Sweden in the World Junior Championships in Jan.

Secondly, not to take this topic completely off topic by the comment above that Naslund was not going to to be the GM for Modo is interesting.  I had heard rumor that he might be back with Vancouver as a possible Gillis replacement.  -- interesting.

He'll be in North America Monday

I hope he gets better directions than that, North America is a big place.  If he is coming by baklängesmål, and is a nervous traveler, he may have to take some baklängesmål to keep the baklängesmål down.

@brelic

I've been critical of Homer for some of his idiotic moves over his tenure, but I have to give credit where credit belongs.  This was a steal of the draft... or so it seems on the surafce.  Of course we won't know until Hagg plays at least *some* games in the NHL, but again, given where he was taken in the draft and based on all the scouting reports, one has to feel excited.

I've been critical of Homer for some of his idiotic moves over his tenure, but I have to give credit where credit belongs.  This was a steal of the draft... or so it seems on the surafce.  Of course we won't know until Hagg plays at least *some* games in the NHL, but again, given where he was taken in the draft and based on all the scouting reports, one has to feel excited.

It is slim still yet possible Hagg could be joined by Ghost, Vasiliev and maybe even Larsson next year...on paper to go with Ollie and Alt would make the deepest blueline I ever remember to skate for the Phantoms!!! Vasiliev has already opted out his KHL contract Homer awaiting word on what they Ghost Vasilev want to do going forward!!!

• Like 1

From Meltzer:

The general manager confirmed that Hägg will finish out this season on an ATO with the Phantoms in the AHL and his entry-level contract will start next season. He said that down the line, the organization sees Hägg as a two-way defenseman with size and mobility who can be above-average in a variety of different areas. He does not think Hägg's strictly offensive-hockey upside is quite as high as Shayne Gostisbehere's. Holmgren said it is a "stretch" to project Hägg being NHL-ready to start next season, but that nothing can be ruled out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

More interesting stuff there regarding Ghost and others.

It is slim still yet possible Hagg could be joined by Ghost, Vasiliev and maybe even Larsson next year...on paper to go with Ollie and Alt would make the deepest blueline I ever remember to skate for the Phantoms!!! Vasiliev has already opted out his KHL contract Homer awaiting word on what they Ghost Vasilev want to do going forward!!!

Now there would be a rare & welcome sight for Flyers fans: a home-grown blue line corps!

Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Lauridsen!

That could be the makings of a great Flyers defense!

Now there would be a rare & welcome sight for Flyers fans: a home-grown blue line corps!

Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Lauridsen!

That could be the makings of a great Flyers defense!

Yes it would.

The wild card could be Vasiliev he was slated as a 1st rounder his draft year and only fell because of a shoulder injury.

Yes it would.

The wild card could be Vasiliev he was slated as a 1st rounder his draft year and only fell because of a shoulder injury.

Vasiliev might be the closest to being NHL ready, considering he was in the KHL and from what I've heard, he played well there.

Vasiliev might be the closest to being NHL ready, considering he was in the KHL and from what I've heard, he played well there.

Well it sounds like the ball is in his court hell you know Homer finger is itching he is ready and waiting to load the Phantoms up.

May not be room for everybody wow didn't see that coming.

1 Alt/2 Ollie

3 Manning/4 Hagg

5 Konan/6 Lamarche

7 Larsson???/8 Vasiliev???

9 Ghost???

Unless Alt or Ollie start out on the BIG club next year.....but in who's place

Edited by OccamsRazor