Ghost not interested in Flyers?

brelic

I can just hear Bettman at the draft in June.

Bettman approaches the stage at the WFC with the smug look on his face to a loud chorus of boos and says, "we have a trade", even more boos, smug turns dickish, "I think your gonna want to hear this" The Flyers trade Gostisbehere to __________________ for ______________________.

Thanks for that JS. It's reassuring. 

In terms of getting his degree, sure, it's important, especially if it's important to him (and not just his mother). But getting a degree is for people who want certain careers and opportunities it can offer. An NHL career requires no such degree. 

Getting a degree for an athlete is also a way to ensure they have a fallback if they get seriously injured or just fail to make it. Let's face it, tons of draftees go on to play at a high level for a year or two more in Juniors or some other developmental league, then don't do anything when they move up. Personally, if I were a student athlete, I wouldn't leave without that piece of paper, even if I had the ability to make it in the NHL.

Thanks for that JS. It's reassuring. 

In terms of getting his degree, sure, it's important, especially if it's important to him (and not just his mother). But getting a degree is for people who want certain careers and opportunities it can offer. An NHL career requires no such degree. 

I agree with you on this, but maybe we can send him to night school and summer school in the off season :) Best of both worlds...

Can't blame him for wanting to have the degree (anybody know what his major is)?

Getting a degree for an athlete is also a way to ensure they have a fallback if they get seriously injured or just fail to make it. Let's face it, tons of draftees go on to play at a high level for a year or two more in Juniors or some other developmental league, then don't do anything when they move up. Personally, if I were a student athlete, I wouldn't leave without that piece of paper, even if I had the ability to make it in the NHL.

Yes, that's a good point. I don't disagree with that at all. All I'm saying is that he already has the 'degree' he needs for what he wants to do in life.

I'm all for a Plan B, but if it were me, I would not wait to realize my dream when it's right there for the taking. Life has a strange way, and you never know if that's the only chance you'll ever get at it.

Can always get the degree afterwards, after having made hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few years. Worst case is he's injured in his first pro season and can never play again, but gets paid for the AHL side of a three year ELC. Takes that money and goes back to school.

Worst case of staying in school first is a career ending injury before that ELC is ever signed. Same result, minus a big pile of cash.

• Like 1

Cool - just trying to talk it out. Respect your opinion and all, just coming at it from a different angle.

Moot point. Ghost signs with the Flyers, going to go play with the Phantoms. Go see HF101 post (maybe should roll together?). 

Haha, you have to admit that it was a weird comment that started this whole thing!

You also have to admit it was a weird question to a guy coming off the game of his live in a post presser. Everything I have seen and read about him shows a cool, humble, level headedness. Only the Ruskies make comments like that. 

Haha, you have to admit that it was a weird comment that started this whole thing!

Trust me, I felt it was an odd comment as well.  It made me wonder what his intentions were, but obviously those fears have been put to rest.  Had not heard bad things about his character and such, so I was hoping it was just something taken out of context or that he mispoke.  Whatever the case, it is great that he has signed on!  Can't wait to see how he does at the pro level.  Since the Phantoms are moving to Allentown next year, I'll def be getting to a couple games to check him out in person.  Allentown isn't right aorund the corner, but it sure beats Adirondak! 

Wasn't his meaning just that right now he has financial leverage with the flyers with whom he'd HAVE to sign, but if he'd graduated he could potentially work with other teams and not be negotiating with JUST the Flyers?

I think he's talking purely about contract negotiation. I don't think team preference has anything to do with his comments.

Anyone else see this bit this morning?

The bolded part makes it sound like he's not that interested in signing with the Flyers. Am I reading that wrong?

Or is he just making a point unrelated to what he actually wants to do?

• Like 1

When I saw 4 pages devoted to a quote that to me seemed pretty innocuous I knew I picked the right day to stop sniffing glue.

good grief guys... 

Good thing the point is moot and  he's in the fold,

i think there's a good chance  he could be on the NHL roster next year.  Heck if Olli Maata can crack the line up of the Pens system where they have a couple of prize prospects a couple years ahead of him in their development, (Depres, Doumolin)  there's no reason a mature 21 year old can't do the same for a Flyers team with less talent in his way to the bigs.