Fairwell Fairweather

Is it too much to ask for the old coot to go on a racist tirade? It would be for the good of the team.

If Mrs. Snider would only post a picture on Instagram that Ed didn't like........

We're simply not there yet. I'm concerned because moves like assigning VLC make that curve longer. He, in particular, was ridiculous in these playoffs.

I think our youth isn't quite there yet and our expensive vets are past their utility. I actually don't think we're that far away.

Anyway, I'll take in the playoffs vs. Missing them. It was fun

Eventhough it would have been fun seeing another Pens/Flyers playoff series, Holmgren or Hextall has to rebuild the backend. Something else I never thought I'd say but it looks like the Flyers have a decent goaltender in Mason going forward and to build with. On the bright side I'd say it's better being a Flyers fan instead of a Sharks fan right now.

• Like 1

On the bright side I'd say it's better being a Flyers fan instead of a Sharks fan right now.

Ain't that the truth!

Joe Thornton does not elevate his game. He never has. Consider that he's a career +153 in the regular season, and career -27 in the playoffs.

Regular season: 1.10 ppg, career

Playoffs: 0.75 ppg, career.

That doesn't cut it for me.

Compare with Giroux, who is a career 0.91ppg in the regular season and 1.07ppg in the playoffs.

This might sound like a dumb question, but I can assure you I'm totally serious. When's the last time or how often do these signings really hurt us? I mean when has money actually been the reason they couldn't get a player they needed/wanted? Vinny was a bad signing, I'm not debating that, but they could still afford him after overpaying for guys like Briere, Hartnell, or Timonen (in either amount of money or length of contract). And after Vinny, they could still afford to sign MacDonald to too much. Before some dope says that I said that approach isn't a problem, I'm not saying it. I'm saying that we always find a way to afford who we want.

I'm not really concerned about the money.  I mean, first of all, it's not my money so what do I care?

My problem is at the salary and the completely shitty performance they cannot move him which likely means we're stuck with him taking up a roster spot for someone--anyone--who would likely be more productive just by being conscious.   VLC can go on safari with Downie for all I care.   I never had a problem with him in Tampa but there is a glaring reason why Tampa used their buyout on him.  Holmgren should be shot for that contract.

I'm gonna take a different road here. I know it's satisfying to place blame for this and that, but I don't blame anyone, individual) for the loss. Players could have played better and things could have gone differently, but it was never within the realm of realistic probability, or reason, this team was going to sincerely compete for the cup this year. 

I'm disappointed as anyone they didn't make it past the first round, but against a superior Rangers team, they held their own pretty well. Gm 7s are special. That experience will carry us one day. Hopefully in the next couple of years we can look back on this and say it was a turning point for this group. We're a fairly young team. 

Sure, you can place some blame at the feet of Homer and Snider, but if you step back and compare... we're better off with those 2 than most other teams in the league. They've made mistakes, of course, but they have their eye on the ultimate prize and no amount of money(under the cap system) will stop them from trying to ice the best product. We're lucky to have that. 

Am I happy with VLC? no. Am I happy with Schenns? no. Do I want to FIRE ALL THE THINGS!!?? nope. I think it's pretty obvious that the major weakness of this team is the D. Pronger left a gaping hole that will take a loooonggg time to recover from. There's some blame for deals gone wrong, but that was just a huge stinkin bad luck pill to swallow. 

We're still swallowing it.... but.. at least there's hope. We FINALLY have a true #1 goalie who could have carried us to the promise land IF there weren't the glaring stench of our poor D squad. 

and once again I am not even remotely thrilled with Scott Hartnell.

I actually thought Hartnell was one of our better players in the first couple of games of the series. At least he showed up. 

• Like 1

I'm not really concerned about the money.  I mean, first of all, it's not my money so what do I care?

My problem is at the salary and the completely shitty performance they cannot move him which likely means we're stuck with him taking up a roster spot for someone--anyone--who would likely be more productive just by being conscious.   VLC can go on safari with Downie for all I care.   I never had a problem with him in Tampa but there is a glaring reason why Tampa used their buyout on him.  Holmgren should be shot for that contract.

I think the VLC signing was a bad move for a very specific reason. They brought another C in when they had the intention of grooming Schenn as the 2nd line C all along. WTF is that plan? Not a good one... plain and simple. 

I'm less inclined to blame VLC for a bad year because it's not the player's job to change position on command and perform. He's been a C all his career, it's clearly the Flyer's fault for moving him to W and expect him to succeed.... just because that's where they need him. He never complained and he accepted his role. When he was moved back to C, his play improved. This one's on the Flyer's management. 

As well, he had a fractured back early in the year. I think this has hampered him a great deal. Not to make excuses for him, he needs to be better, but he moved to a new team... started slowly and then had a serious back injury. I thought his play really improved toward the end of the season when he was moved back to his natural C position. I think his back issues have possibly hindered him all year. 

As for the playoffs... I didn't like that he was switched back to W for a good portion and he clearly didn't respond to that well. I would have liked to see more from him in the playoffs, but that can be said about every single player on the team... except for Mason. 

At least he showed up. 

Yes he did falling down and fumbling and turning over the puck when it was on his stick??? CHECK!

Edit: I almost forgot thank you Scotty for your hard fault 3 assists....where would they be without you....5 more year to find out!  :ph34r:

Edited by OccamsRazor

I thought Couturier was horrendous this series, he was weak on the puck and way, way too cute with it in our zone.

I think there is a place for Scott Hartnell on my team, he's just not able to skate with Jake and G , for me a priority this offseason is to find a winger for the top line, I'm great with Simmer Schenn and Hartnell on the second line they're big , and play heavy... i think in that role we's all like 19 a lot better, he still got 20/30  which is fine for me.

I also think there needs to be a trade and a signing to upgrade our defense.  now does that include a Schenn or MacDonald, or Couturier ? if the piece coming back is awesome, then 'd be okay with it,  I'm talking an legit top pairing guy , and try to pry Niskanen from Pgh.  That will be tough given it's going across the state to the hated rival, but they are deep with prospects and won't want to pay him...i can feel it in the force.

i have to say i'm not all "they suck" and " this sucks" , my expectations for this group have been met and exceeded.  If they can be allowed to grow as a group i'd be okay with what we have with an addition or two to the blue line.

I do think this playoff series cemented the fact that we need a top line winger, and to get more mobile with our defense.  if MacDonald and Coburn are playing mid pairing minutes we'll like them a lot better.  just like Hartnell.

• Like 2

i have to say i'm not all "they suck" and " this sucks" , my expectations for this group have been met and exceeded

Hear Hear!

I didn't expect much over the summer and that expectation went down during camp and then, of course, the open to the season.  That they got as far as they did and seem at least headed in the right direction, I'm okay.   Like fanatic said, not a wasted season.  A growth season.   I'm good with that.

By the way, I only highlighted the above quote, but really good post all the way around.

I thought Couturier was horrendous this series, he was weak on the puck and way, way too cute with it in our zone.

I think there is a place for Scott Hartnell on my team, he's just not able to skate with Jake and G , for me a priority this offseason is to find a winger for the top line, I'm great with Simmer Schenn and Hartnell on the second line they're big , and play heavy... i think in that role we's all like 19 a lot better, he still got 20/30  which is fine for me.

I also think there needs to be a trade and a signing to upgrade our defense.  now does that include a Schenn or MacDonald, or Couturier ? if the piece coming back is awesome, then 'd be okay with it,  I'm talking an legit top pairing guy , and try to pry Niskanen from Pgh.  That will be tough given it's going across the state to the hated rival, but they are deep with prospects and won't want to pay him...i can feel it in the force.

i have to say i'm not all "they suck" and " this sucks" , my expectations for this group have been met and exceeded.  If they can be allowed to grow as a group i'd be okay with what we have with an addition or two to the blue line.

I do think this playoff series cemented the fact that we need a top line winger, and to get more mobile with our defense.  if MacDonald and Coburn are playing mid pairing minutes we'll like them a lot better.  just like Hartnell.

Maybe not as tough as you might think. Nisk is UFA this summer. They need to re-sign Orpik and/or Nisk. but look at the holes at fwd if they sign both!? They really can't sign both if Nisk is offered around $5m AAV. 

I'm not concerned about the money either. Or I should say I'm concerned about it for the same reasons you are. What am asking though is who really have we missed out because of these bad contracts? They got out of the Briere one. Timonen has been here forever, as has Hartnell (and he's apparently here until I retire), but they could still afford to go out and blow money like a kid on his first visit to the strip club.

I'm not concerned about the money either. Or I should say I'm concerned about it for the same reasons you are. What am asking though is who really have we missed out because of these bad contracts? They got out of the Briere one. Timonen has been here forever, as has Hartnell (and he's apparently here until I retire), but they could still afford to go out and blow money like a kid on his first visit to the strip club.

Bingo!

Fan outrage is not really about the money because we don't pay it (well we do, but in small chunks). It's really about handcuffing the team and putting it in a position of weakness.

For example, someone here mentioned Niskanen at $5M. Well, not in Philly. They just gave an inferior player more money in MacDonald. So Niskanen has that leverage over Homer.

"You paid a guy who's never even reached 30 points in his career $5.25M per year? I just got 46 this year, biatch. It's gonna cost you a lot more than that."

Hard (impossible?) to say, isn't it?  Whose to say who else we would have offered a horrible contract if we hadn't offered to Hartnell and Vinny and Bryz, etc.  because we at that point didn't have the opportunity/money to do it.

Again, like you, it's not really about the money.  It's about bringing in some old guy that Tampa just paid to NOT play for them and taking up one of 50 allowable contracts and whatever number roster spots instead of an Akeson all year or whomever.

It's not my money.  It's just kind of astounding that someone who has 5 cars would go out and throw 2014 BMW money on a 1983 Dodge K car and then wonder why it isn't performing up to the new beamer standards.

Edited by ruxpin
Lousy analogy, but hopefully you get the point.

Bingo!

Fan outrage is not really about the money because we don't pay it (well we do, but in small chunks). It's really about handcuffing the team and putting it in a position of weakness.

For example, someone here mentioned Niskanen at $5M. Well, not in Philly. They just gave an inferior player more money in MacDonald. So Niskanen has that leverage over Homer.

"You paid a guy who's never even reached 30 points in his career $5.25M per year? I just got 46 this year, biatch. It's gonna cost you a lot more than that."

I don't know if it really has though. That's what I'm asking at least. I'm not saying good we do it, and it's a trend I'd like to see stop (curtailed at least), but I'm just not so sure how badly it's messed the team up. They still have a pretty nice young core to build off of.

Hard (impossible?) to say, isn't it?  Whose to say who else we would have offered a horrible contract if we hadn't offered to Hartnell and Vinny and Bryz, etc.  because we at that point didn't have the opportunity/money to do it.

Again, like you, it's not really about the money.  It's about bringing in some old guy that Tampa just paid to NOT play for them and taking up one of 50 allowable contracts and whatever number roster spots instead of an Akeson all year or whomever.

It's not my money.  It's just kind of astounding that someone who has 5 cars would go out and throw 2014 BMW money on a 1983 Dodge K car and then wonder why it isn't performing up to the new beamer standards.

While I agree, the fact that they can afford to keep doing that tells me it hasn't hurt a ton. If there's a FA they want, and he wants to be here, I seriously doubt money is going to be an issue.

I actually thought Hartnell was one of our better players in the first couple of games of the series. At least he showed up. 

I hated him a few years ago, and still think he's overpaid, but I'm with you. I've warmed up to him. I think he shows up (at least tries) on a regular basis. I mean Jesus Christ, he had his 3rd highest year in points, all 3 of which came as a Flyer. What's the problem (from fans perspective)?

I mean Jesus Christ, he had his 3rd highest year in points, all 3 of which came as a Flyer. What's the problem (from fans perspective)?

Who gives a phuck????????

its a what have you done for me lately league...Vinny had 100 points in a season in 2006 what does that have to do with now...not a damn thing just like Hartnell....i don't care what he's done in the past i go by what he did this past playoffs 3 points in 7 games lead the team in shots on goal during the playoffs and he score the same amount of goals as me....can 't give him a pass he is making to much money....he sucks donkey balls and doesn't belong on this team anymore but with his turd contract hey are stuck with him.

its a what have you done for me lately league...Vinny had 100 points in a season in 2006 what does that have to do with now...not a damn thing just like Hartnell....i don't care what he's done in the past i go by what he did this past playoffs 3 points in 7 games lead the team in shots on goal during the playoffs and he score the same amount of goals as me....can 't give him a pass he is making to much money....he sucks donkey balls and doesn't belong on this team anymore but with his turd contract hey are stuck with him.

@OccamsRazor,

Don't sugar coat it! Tell us how you really feel!! :D

I've read this three times and am still unclear. How do you feel about Hartnell?

• Like 2

Well I give him credit for one thing, he inspired one of the greatest drinking games ever. He single handledly made it much more enjoyable to watch the boneheaded play of this team buy keeping me in a state of alcholic bliss.

Thank you Scott

The past? What are you talking about? I am talking about now. He had 52 points. That is his 3rd best year of his 13 year career.

Edited by fanaticV3.0