Isles Acquire Halak's rights for 4th

radoran

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/01/islanders-acquire-rights-to-goaltender-jaroslav-halak/

Halak gets onto his fourth team this season - and perhaps the second one he won't play for...

That said, LeBrun:

Halak's agent Allan Walsh and the Isles have already had a brief conversation about wanting to get a contract done. Mutual interest there..

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/01/islanders-acquire-rights-to-goaltender-jaroslav-halak/

Halak gets onto his fourth team this season - and perhaps the second one he won't play for...

That said, LeBrun:

Yes but if they sign him it will be a 1st rounder in 2015 from what i read.

Yes but if they sign him it will be a 1st rounder in 2015 from what i read.

The Isles' own website doesn't say that. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=717531

And, for that matter, they don't have a first rounder in 2015 (it's going to Buffalo as they are apparently keeping this year's).

But I wouldn't put it past Snow to offer a conditional first for a player he could negotiate with for nothing on July 1.

The Isles' own website doesn't say that. http://islanders.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=717531

And, for that matter, they don't have a first rounder in 2015 (it's going to Buffalo as they are apparently keeping this year's).

But I wouldn't put it past Snow to offer a conditional first for a player he could negotiate with for nothing on July 1.

Maybe that is what it was and i misread it i just quickly scanned the article..so its' very well you are right.

What will it take to right this ship??

It will likely take the team bottoming out in years when there are franchise type players available. Maybe have the league step in to help bail them out a bit. Maybe a closed door lottery where they magically end up with Connor McDavid. That'd be a good start, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Signing Halak for 4 years at a reasonable price was perhaps the best move the Islanders could have made. Their roster is up and coming, and they *badly* needed a goalie who will keep them in close games. Halak can do that. Not sure how effective Halak will be in the last half of this deal, but for the first time in a long time (geez, it seemed like the Diepetro saga dragged on for decades, huh?) the Islanders will have a respectable option in net. This move will steal 3-4 pts from the Flyers, I guarantee it. I expect Poulin to back up Halak, who looked decent when thrown into the fire (literally....lol) last year. Seemed like a he would make a good solid back up, but him as starter, at least right now, was stretching it.

It'l be interesting to see what the Isles do here. They have 11 forwards, 6 defencemen, and Halak under contract next year. Even if the cap is $69 million, that gives them over $25 million in cap space. Nilsson is doing a respectable job backstopping Sweden in the Worlds right now, and is an RFA. Likewise, de Haan, Czisikas, Lee, and Donovan are all RFAs. Assuming Wang's willing to spend at least a little bit (and he'd have to spend at least 7 million), he's going to have to add a player with a fairly significant salary just to reach the floor. Vanek pretty much refused to stay, I don't know if Moulsen will want to return. Maybe they make a play for Niskanen? They haven't traditionally been big spenders, but with them choosing to give up next year's pick and getting ready to move to Brooklyn after next season, they may try to make a splash so they're not losing a high draft pick, and create some buzz about the team as they go to a new home.

It'l be interesting to see what the Isles do here. They have 11 forwards, 6 defencemen, and Halak under contract next year. Even if the cap is $69 million, that gives them over $25 million in cap space. Nilsson is doing a respectable job backstopping Sweden in the Worlds right now, and is an RFA. Likewise, de Haan, Czisikas, Lee, and Donovan are all RFAs. Assuming Wang's willing to spend at least a little bit (and he'd have to spend at least 7 million), he's going to have to add a player with a fairly significant salary just to reach the floor. Vanek pretty much refused to stay, I don't know if Moulsen will want to return. Maybe they make a play for Niskanen? They haven't traditionally been big spenders, but with them choosing to give up next year's pick and getting ready to move to Brooklyn after next season, they may try to make a splash so they're not losing a high draft pick, and create some buzz about the team as they go to a new home.

One thing they have going for them is their future in Brooklyn. I can see a Vanek deciding not to stay in Uniondale - Buffalo's facilities are all top notch.  

While their capacity won't actually increase all that much, they will have better concessions and luxury boxes to increase revenue. And they will be a hot ticket in their first year regardless of record. The LIRR and nine subway lines are right under/next door. The challenge is keeping that interest. 

There is young talent, but there hasn't been a veteran presence to show them the way, as it were. 

I might go after a Steve Ott in that regard - who probably would only be attracted if they also made a bigger splash in free agency to go with him. Could also see them making plays for Jussi Jokinen and Radim Vrbata (who are not what they need).

Middle to long term, the almost immediate increase in value of the franchise could also entice Wang to sell to a real owner.

@AJgoal

If they want to create a buzz they should fire Snow.

Snow is just a figurehead anyways. One we get to laugh at a lot, but a figurehead nonetheless. Its not like he gets to make any real decisions other than drafting. All decisions on the Isles are by commitee and Wang pretty much has them a hair above the cap floor. Actually, from what I read, they were way under the cap floor. But they get around that with "incentive" contracts and bonuses guys can't hit.

Wang is the worst owner in Hockey since Wirtz died.