Stanley Cup Finals Rangers and Kings

yave1964

Who will win  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take in the series

• Rangers
    • Kings

After the Kings bested the Hawks in a hard fought seven game series it sets up a dream matchup for the NHL in herms of advertising (New York and Los Angeles) and two teams built a lot alike. Who do you pick to win?

Forwards: The Kings have star Kopitar and rugged veteran types such as Carter, Gaborik and Williams and kids such as Toffoli who provide a spark. The Rangers are led by veterans such as St. Louis, Richards and Nash. Personally I think the forwards are really fairly even with maybe a slight edge to the Kngs but very slight.

Defense is a no brainer, I know about the shot blocking of Girardi, the development of McDonough and Staal but the Kings are led by the best puck control man in the game today in Doughty and you throw in Voynov and Martinez and the Kings have a decided edge.

Goaltending is really tough. The King Lundqvist has stolen games throughout and is absolutely amazing, but this is Quick's time of the year. I don't know how to rate this other than as close as close can be.

Coaching Sutter has been there before and has managed his team back from adversity, his team has been behind in three straight series. Vignault has done a remarkable job of line changes and keeping 4 lines rolling night in and out, I consider this one pretty even as well.

I am going with the Kings in 6, with Lundqvist stealing a game or two.

I hate to even type this, but Rangers in 7. If anyone can handle the Kings forwards, it's the Rangers defensive corps. A few things have to go the Rangers way, but I believe they will pull it off. If it goes 7 games, Lundqvist will be 8-0 in Game 7's....but on the other side, Justin Williams has 8 Game 7 wins (think that was the number) and Richards has never lost a Game 7 either, he's 7-0....so somebodies streak would be coming to and end....and I would not bet against Lundy in a game 7, as great as Quick is.

I think the Kings are the better team. Better forwards...D is a tossup, maybe a slight nod to the Kings. Lundquist has better numbers in goal, but they're both great goalies. The Rangers got a little more rest going in, and have certainly had the easier opponents. That may factor, but i still think the Kings take this in 6.

After the Kings bested the Hawks in a hard fought seven game series it sets up a dream matchup for the NHL in herms of advertising (New York and Los Angeles) and two teams built a lot alike. Who do you pick to win?

I think both teams match up well. I am going to take the Rangers because of their long rest. 21 games in 3 rounds has got to take its tool on LA. Rangers being on siesta for a whole weak able to prepare for either team is an advantage. Quick / Lundvist is a wash to me. Size and speed are a wash to me. Allot or people are writing that the Chi-LA series was the SCF, but I would beg to differ. While it was a tremendous series, I think the Rangers are just as apt to raise their level to the Kings as well. They have the size and speed, the superstars, the grinders / unsung heroes. 

Their gas tank is full, while LA needs recharging / fill up. Unfortunately (and I don't understand why), there is a two-day break after game one of the SCF (they play Wed and then not again until Saturday). You could site tv ratings and all that stuff, but why wouldn't you want a Friday night game and a Sunday game?? Then, next week game 5 is on Friday and game 6 is on MONDAY, you could site travel (though BOTH teams have to travel), yet the precedent is already set between games 2 and 3 where there is only a 1 day break. 

The NHL schedulers are complete buffoons. I site this not knowing what other commitments there are in the arenas, there are is are two monday games, tjree wednesday games a single Friday and a single Saturday game (different weekends). Way to promote the game fellas!!! 

Edited by Vanflyer

2 days rest is plenty considering it's Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. The Kings are healthy and they're on a tremendous roll - 3 seven-game series in a row...nobody has done that before. They've got momentum, they have the winning feeling from what will be only 2 nights ago on Wed. That should carry them through G1 + 2 at home.

The Rags got some extra rest but because both teams are basically healthy I don't think it means that much. I'd much rather have the momentum of winning on my team and the Kings have it.

Kings in 5 I hope, in 6 is probably more realistic.

The Rags got some extra rest but because both teams are basically healthy I don't think it means that much. I'd much rather have the momentum of winning on my team and the Kings have it.

I don't mind the rest before the series (just not what I would have done. It would be a day off and lets play tomorrow boys. This is why the NHL playoffs go to near the Baseball allstar game. What bothers me is the two day breaks DURING the series (and not even a travel break). The average fans attention span is not that long. It does not happen in baseball playoffs or basketball playoffs. Why only in Hockey?? 

two day breaks DURING the series (and not even a travel break). The average fans attention span is not that long. It does not happen in baseball playoffs or basketball playoffs. Why only in Hockey??

you're "preaching to the choir" here my friend. Obviously MONEY is what motivates the NHL schedule, nothing wrong with that since it's a business first and foremost. But wow have they taken it to the extreme... It was 86 degrees in NYC yesterday and close to that today - meaning for all practical purposes summer is here. And the freakin Stanley Cup Final hasn't even started.

No way it'll ever happen but I would love to see the regular season cut to 70 games and the POs including the Final wrap up before June 1st (at least). The way it is now is just stupid.

you're "preaching to the choir" here my friend. Obviously MONEY is what motivates the NHL schedule, nothing wrong with that since it's a business first and foremost. But wow have they taken it to the extreme... It was 86 degrees in NYC yesterday and close to that today - meaning for all practical purposes summer is here. And the freakin Stanley Cup Final hasn't even started.

No way it'll ever happen but I would love to see the regular season cut to 70 games and the POs including the Final wrap up before June 1st (at least). The way it is now is just stupid.

Agreed. I think cutting the regular season to 80 games and tightening it up a bit, a extra game a week here or there, and maybe taking the first round and making it a best of five would end the season in May. But like you said, money money money make the world go round.

you're "preaching to the choir" here my friend. Obviously MONEY is what motivates the NHL schedule,

I thought that too, but two monday games, three wednesday games and only a single weekend game (not one weekend game with an afternoon start). Mondays and Wednesday games are better draws that say a Sunday afternoon game? Heck, I always thought thursdays were big money days (better than Fridays because everyone is busy doing things with their pay checks- oh and there is one Friday game). 

Obviously the NHL schedule makers must have analytics to support their cause, but its a complete head scratcher to me. 

I'll say Kings in 6. I think they're the better team, but they don't seem to want to do anything the easy way these playoffs. And you never know which version of Quick you're going to get. He's given up some pretty bad goals this year, but has also been really good at times. Ultimately I think the Kings depth and experience end up being the difference. I will say this though, if the Rangers do win, they'll definitely have my respect. And as a Devils fan, that's hard for me to say.

I will say this though, if the Rangers do win, they'll definitely have my respect. And as a Devils fan, that's hard for me to say.

Its equally as hard for us Flyers fan to say as well, but I agree. 

Well the puck drops tonight.  I expect the Rangers to come out guns a blazin.  The Kings may have a hangover from the last series.  So I am thinking the Rangers pull it off, 4-3 or 5-3 with an open netter.  Then, the Kings wake up and the Rangers will then be doomed

Normally your predictions are the kiss of death. But you have done fairly well this playoff season (I think .500), which is no better or worse than any other here (including myself). 

I am going to ride NYR to game 7 and a ring. For no other logic than they beat my Flyers and I prefer the team to knock out my team to get the ring (because I then can be a braggart and say"we lost, but we lost to the Cup champs). I am only 8 years old by the way. 

Posted · Hidden by hf101, June 7, 2014 - off topic
Hidden by hf101, June 7, 2014 - off topic

The only thing I was wrong about was the Blues and its because I went with my heart.  Since then I have done far better than 500 and my account proves it. 

c'mon ricky, you did not call the rangers out of the east. I try to throw you a bone and you want to make it a family meal. 

I picked the Rangers to win the East from the git go.  Ask Hf101.  I picked the Rangers to get there and lose to the West.  Either Blues or Kings.   The only one that knew better than to pick the almighty Flyers

go search your posts. Show me. hf101 does not need to be bothered with these twiddly dinks. 

I watched him literally stink in Buffalo

Man your view is tainted. Moore is what he always has been. Nothing more (no pun intended), nothing. He is a role player. 

You watched him for 18 games in Buffalo? He stunk the joint up? Doing the exact same thing he is doing now? 

A role player that has landed in the Stanley Cup finals somehow.   Usually you have to contribute something to get there.  Regehr, he has done nothing  to get LA here.  If you think he has anything to do with it you are not watching the same games I am.  Mr Know it all

There is a reason why they call it a "role" player. The player is there to perform a role / function. They do not need to be the superstar / game changer. They are part of the team in helping sustain the team in being competitive to win the game. 

Edited by hf101
removed content

There is a reason why they call it a "role" player. The player is there to perform a role / function. They do not need to be the superstar / game changer. They are part of the team in helping sustain the team in being competitive to win the game. 

Hockey 101. 

I am starting to think the Junkie part of you moniker is because you are Junkie. Work that riddle out for yourself mr. 20 watts. 

And since you are a Flyers fan you know you can get away with anything here.  So you are taking full advantage of it.  Screw off and leave me alone.  You are not talking about hockey, you are simply coming after me and anything I say.  I wonder if you have watched the game since 1967 like me?  Well?  How long have you been a fan of the game?

And since you are a Flyers fan you know you can get away with anything here.  So you are taking full advantage of it.  Screw off and leave me alone.  You are not talking about hockey, you are simply coming after me and anything I say.  I wonder if you have watched the game since 1967 like me?  Well?  How long have you been a fan of the game?

Pretty sure I remember Vanflyer mentioning the first game he ever watched...it was New Years Eve...1966.

Pretty sure I remember Vanflyer mentioning the first game he ever watched...it was New Years Eve...1966.

Then he has me by a year.  He should have better knowledge of the game then should he not?  Don't answer that

@Hockey Junkie

BRick, as much I'd love to see the Rags get swept, I can't agree that they're up against it to win a single game in the series. I understand the line of thinking that they may have shot their wad running on emotion, with a Game 1 loss in OT being a big deflater.....but to paraphrase you, "They got Lundqvuist baby!" The Kings are clearly the better team, but I expect the Rags to be playing for their lives Saturday, and it kills me to say it, but they've shown alot of character in the last month and a half. I don't see them rolling over.