meanwhile in Canada, Neighbor calls police on kids playing street hockey

Irishjim

Montreal and Toronto, the two rival hockey meccas, have a long, long history of fostering world class talent. They both have a reputation for being at the center of the hockey universe – but you’re technically not allowed to play the game in the streets of either city.

On Wednesday, a group of kids playing in Montreal were visited by police after a neighbor called in about the ruckus. And according to Bridget Sykucki, the mother of two of the boys playing, there’s so little vehicle traffic, they don’t even refer to it as a street.

read the full article here and get a little pissed cause street hockey was my youth.. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/neighbor-calls-police-on-kids-playing-street-hockey/

My children had a goal that they made out of scrap lumber and chicken wire.  They'd drag it out into the street and within minutes, there'd be a dozen kids out there.  Noone ever complained.  Most of the neighbors would drive around the block so as not to interfere with their games. 

99.99% of people are decent.  But, there's always some asshole who needs to spoil things.

The seven years we lived in Regina, we didn't see any kids playing street hockey. Not once. We played all the time in Ontario, and plenty, later on, in Edmonton as well. Fewer kids are playing now.

The seven years we lived in Regina, we didn't see any kids playing street hockey. Not once. We played all the time in Ontario, and plenty, later on, in Edmonton as well. Fewer kids are playing now.

Growing up in Windsor, we took our street hockey real serious. From the age you could walk/run kids dragged their nets into the street and played every waking moment. Weather brutal, minus 25 you say....overcome, adapt. I only had average hands, but my cardio was off the charts, I would forecheck you into submission. More than a few times I heard kids whisper/mutter "man he forechecks like Clarkie" which just made me gush, really the biggest compliment anyone could pay me, and I was fortunate to hear it once and a while. Made me work all the harder to live up that outrageous comparison...lol.

We would challenge other Grade schools from surrounding neighborhoods. This was serious stuff, you would get benched for lack of effort, cussed out for a defensive miscue, scolded for bad passes....lol, this stuff was for keeps! In our late teens, Adam Graves and Joe Kocur came out to play (he was a Wings rookie at the time) that was a highlight. Our big star Carlo actually looked an awful lot like Gravey in the shot and stick handleing dept, was shocked to see him be so close to an star OHL'er. I felt at that moment that it instantly legitimized our street hockey skills. ....ha ha....good times man, good times.

Growing up in Windsor, we took our street hockey real serious. From the age you could walk/run kids dragged their nets into the street and played every waking moment. Weather brutal, minus 25 you say....overcome, adapt. I only had average hands, but my cardio was off the charts, I would forecheck you into submission. More than a few times I heard kids whisper/mutter "man he forechecks like Clarkie" which just made me gush, really the biggest compliment anyone could pay me, and I was fortunate to hear it once and a while. Made me work all the harder to live up that outrageous comparison...lol.

We would challenge other Grade schools from surrounding neighborhoods. This was serious stuff, you would get benched for lack of effort, cussed out for a defensive miscue, scolded for bad passes....lol, this stuff was for keeps! In our late teens, Adam Graves and Joe Kocur came out to play (he was a Wings rookie at the time) that was a highlight. Our big star Carlo actually looked an awful lot like Gravey in the shot and stick handleing dept, was shocked to see him be so close to an star OHL'er. I felt at that moment that it instantly legitimized our street hockey skills. ....ha ha....good times man, good times.

Same.

When you saw a crew paving a street, you were happy as heck because now you had a better street to play on. if a car came, you just all picked up and moved the net till it passed, then moved right back to the street and started again.

And never forget accidentally getting the tennis ball in a ditch of water. If you did not properly step on it, you, the slapshot speckled everyone and just smeared the goalie with ditch water if he made the save(And we usually did on purpose lol)

@J0e Th0rnton  We started with tennis balls, but moved on to the orange hard balls. This was hilarious, but all the kids from about 5 miles around came to one big meeting, we called it the tribunal (LMAO!) and we voted right there and then to make the orange balls the permanent fixture. I must say, they gave you much more velocity and way more accurate passing. Plus, they really hurt the goalies, which was fun.

and FYI, that guys house would have been destroyed that night by us. My parents were the types who would have vouched that we were in the basement playing video games to the cops when the nieghbours house and car was hit.

Ever fry eggs on someone's car hood on a hot summer day? If you let it sit all night, it can ruins your car's coat.

One of my friend's dad's was incredibly vengeful at an arsehole neighbour and always did things I would never think of as a kid. Nighttime salting of flowerbeds and his lawn.....OMG.

The best was the sugar. He spread like 6 bags of sugar around the guy's entire house. Near vents, windows. Within a few days, the guy had to call an exterminator to figure out why he had a huge ant infestation.

He also made damn sure to show us when to do it and not get caught.

@J0e Th0rnton  I'm 100% convinced the technology age, ie texting, video games, I-Phones etc, etc has virtually killed street hockey in my city. Kids don't play outside like they used to....they are to busy surfing the net, facebooking.....sickening, really. When we were not playing street hockey, it was tackle football, baseball...we called it strikeout. I feel sorry for kids these days, a lot of them will never experience the unbridled joy of playing sports outside.

@J0e Th0rnton I'm 100% convinced the technology age, ie texting, video games, I-Phones etc, etc has virtually killed street hockey in my city. Kids don't play outside like they used to....they are to busy surfing the net, facebooking.....sickening, really. When we were not playing street hockey, it was tackle football, baseball...we called it strikeout. I feel sorry for kids these days, a lot of them will never experience the unbridled joy of playing sports outside.

I agree. I lived across the street from an outdoor rink.

When I wasn't there I was on the street playing. Usually just me and my buddy Brad sending slappers at each other to score - sponge puck. But when it's -30 that sponge gets damn hard pretty quick. And Brad was a big Ukrainian kid with a howitzer. I chalk my cat-like reflexes up to those days. Also my bent nose...

I agree. I lived across the street from an outdoor rink.

When I wasn't there I was on the street playing. Usually just me and my buddy Brad sending slappers at each other to score - sponge puck. But when it's -30 that sponge gets damn hard pretty quick. And Brad was a big Ukrainian kid with a howitzer. I chalk my SHEEP-like reflexes up to those days. Also my bent nose...

Fixed...

Another good thing about street hockey is that everyone plays.  And, if you watch, it sucks you in.  My grandchildren's setup was in the driveway.   The players ranged from my very young granddaughter, the neighbor kids, my kids, Z, my son and once in awhile, me.   

Archived