Leafs at Flyers....some thoughts.

jammer2

A very nice spirited scrap between resident Toronto pugilist McLaren and Zac Sortini, the leader in AHL fights last year with 33. It was pretty even, both landed some nice bombs, went over a minute, which is rare for fights these days.

On a early pp, the Flyers came out with Raffl, Simmonds, Akeson with Del Zotto and Cooter at the points. Alt and Morin were at the points on the second pp unit.

Bellemore took a key face off deep in his own zone on the pk with about a minute left in the 1st....they are getting looks at him in different situations, seeing what he can add to the team in different roles.

0-0 after the 1st, Stolarz looked solid in the first, seems like the lines are struggling to get used to each other, as expected, not a lot of chemistry early on.

I'll edit and add more as the game progresses. I have both games available on my hockeystreams account, so hopefully, time permitting I'll do a thread on the Caps and the other half of the Flyers roster.

Bellemore took a key face off deep in his own zone on the pk with about a minute left in the 1st....they are getting looks at him in different situations, seeing what he can add to the team in different roles.

I think Bellemore is a dark horse in this. We talk about Laughton and other young unproven guys, but Bellemore is not pro inexperienced. Just NHL inexperience. I would like to see him make the team. I think he has skills- just does he have skills that translate to the smaller ice and NHL level. 

Akeson was the best player out there IMO. Kid looked like Giroux out there at times. Stolarz looked good in net. He's big and moves well. He doesn't look like a "great" goalie, but his size will work well if he can stay in position. Shultz sucks. Morin looked good for a 19 year old gangly defencemen and is nowhere near NHL ready. Del Zotto will help us offensively, no doubt. Cousins made some good plays out there, as did Bellamere.

Flyers / Caps was a fun game to watch as well. Jake and Streit were the standouts as far as the vets are concerned. Vinny had a goal as well.

Sanheim is super posied for a 18 year old kid and really has nice vision.  If his play continues to evolve we could have a special player on our hands.   Skates incredibly well and can really give an outlet pass...

Gost is just a pleasure to watch on the ice... kid is such a fluid skater and incredibly skilled. However, his play in front of the net needs some refinement and I still think he would be better served starting in the AHL this year. Lots to like about this kid.

Haag was very steady and he to me looks the most NHL ready. Nothing flashy but very steady.

Kubel I thought was outstanding on the forecheck/backcheck and in the offensive zone. I could see this kid being NHL ready and pushing for a roster spot in the not so distant future.

I also caught the Flyers Caps game and agree with murray. The young defensemen all looked good in their own ways. Ghost had a few boo-boo's but nothing he won't learn from. Sanheim looks like he may be very, very, good eventually.

Streit and Jake stood out, obviously they weren't going up against top competition but Streit in particular makes me feel optimistic that he will fill a good part of the void left by Timonen's absence.

Streit and Jake stood out, obviously they weren't going up against top competition but Streit in particular makes me feel optimistic that he will fill a good part of the void left by Timonen's absence.

I though Streit on the PP looked exceptional.  Good vision and he can certainly shoot the puck.   Honestly, I thought he should have been the # 1 PP QB last year but understand why Kimmo was there.  

I was at the game. It was fun, although definitely sloppy.

Akeson was awesome for you guys, plus you had the better looking, more scantily clad cheerleaders haha.

Also, apparently we stole your goalie? Cal Heeter looked like he was playing for both teams, with a Leaf jersey and Philly pads and mask.

I was pretty impressed with Ghost last night.  I didn't see the game start to finish, but was able to catch most of the 2nd period and some of the 3rd.  He looked confident and decisive with the puck. He had a nice, accurate shot form the point, the few times I saw him shoot.  Very much looking forward to seeing more of him in the coming games.

On a early pp, the Flyers came out with Raffl, Simmonds, Akeson with Del Zotto and Cooter at the points. 

I just wanted to flag this little tidbit lest it get lost in all of the rest: Cooter on the point on the PP - I like. That's a natural spot for him IMHO.

I just wanted to flag this little tidbit lest it get lost in all of the rest: Cooter on the point on the PP - I like. That's a natural spot for him IMHO.

While I think he could do a decent job there I'd rather see him down low on PP. I think he can be a Bobby Clarke type player in that role, only bigger. He has the hands, and the vision, and the smarts. And the lack of front teeth, which is key.

@JackStraw

I think he'd be good either down low or up top. I see no reason why we have to choose though. I believe the key to PP success these days is movement, so move him around. As long as you have people out there that can also play the point on the PP. Giroux, Jake, guys like that.

@JackStraw

I think he'd be good either down low or up top. I see no reason why we have to choose though. I believe the key to PP success these days is movement, so move him around. As long as you have people out there that can also play the point on the PP. Giroux, Jake, guys like that.

Indisputably indisputable.

@JackStraw  I think the reason for using Cooter at the point is his vision, he sees the ice very well, and can thus disperse the puck to an advantageous spot on the ice. I do agree with you, I think he's better suited down low, but I see no reason to not switch it up and keep teams off guard.

Archived