What is up with the officiating?

SpikeDDS

First we get the Datsyuk goal disallowed by a goaltender interference call a couple nights ago (see other thread) and now tonight Luke Glendening is called for goaltender interference when he is NOWHERE NEAR Holtby.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! It's one thing to get a call wrong. It's quite another to make stuff up!

Thank goodness we won this game anyway, but Jiminy Crickets! What is this? Referee amateur night?

DRB

First we get the Datsyuk goal disallowed by a goaltender interference call a couple nights ago (see other thread) and now tonight Luke Glendening is called for goaltender interference when he is NOWHERE NEAR Holtby.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! It's one thing to get a call wrong. It's quite another to make stuff up!

Thank goodness we won this game anyway, but Jiminy Crickets! What is this? Referee amateur night?

DRB

I watched it this morning and I have no explanation why that was called...  terrible terrible call...

Even The Hockey News has picked up on this...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/worst-nhl-penalty-of-the-season-oh-yeah-definitely/

Each NHL season has its share of botched calls from referees. We know going in that, as mere mortals, they’re bound to make errors trying to make sense of a lightning-fast game. However, some blown calls are so egregious, they stand out for years afterward. And one of those calls went down Wednesday night during the game between the Washington Capitals and Detroit Red Wings. As a matter of fact, this might not have been one of the worst penalty calls of the year. It might be the worst in NHL history.

It was early in the first period in Washington when Capitals goalie Braden Holtby left his crease and went behind the net. As he tried to get back into position, Holtby tripped over his own skates – and the Red Wings pounced immediately, with Drew Miller grabbing the puck and firing it into the Caps’ net.

However – and inexplicably – the officiating duo of Mike Leggo and Ghislain Hebert decided the goal would not count and that Wings center Luke Glendening deserved a goalie interference penalty. As you can see, he deserved nothing of the sort:

Again, we all know mistakes get made out there. But this one is particularly embarrassing. The Wings went on to win the game 4-2, but that’s no excuse for a call that boggles the mind to this degree.

Ghislain Hebert decided the goal would not count and that Wings center Luke Glendening deserved a goalie interference penalty.

Ghislain Hebert.....the only official in the world that can make Tim Peel look like a good ref....Tim Donaghy was heard to say from his cell WTF?!?! I went to jail for lesser mistakes than that........

I think the refs are trained to be so overly protective of goaltenders that anytime a goalie ends up on his tuchus, the whistle is blown purely out of reflex.  The ref sees it out of the corner of his eye and automatically thinks that the goalie was knocked over.  

Tonight's call might have been the worst I've ever seen. That ref needs to be sent down.

Stop your whining. That ref is my brother-in-laws best friend. We doubled downed at Vegas. All is right in the world again.

Wow, that is worse. My first viewing I thought that there might have been a very little contact stick on skate behind the net (not enough to warrant a call, but a tap, maybe), but the reverse angle shows that Glendening's stick wasn't even close.

Wow, that is worse. My first viewing I thought that there might have been a very little contact stick on skate behind the net (not enough to warrant a call, but a tap, maybe), but the reverse angle shows that Glendening's stick wasn't even close.

Wasn't even close????

He was six feet away!!!!

So after the call off vs Buffalo, are the Wings on a GCOPG pace yet? (Goal Called Off Per Game).

lol!

Truthfully, the call of Franzen in the crease was legit, even if most of the others are not. It would be nice to see one or two go our way tho

So after the call off vs Buffalo, are the Wings on a GCOPG pace yet? (Goal Called Off Per Game).

Well I know the Wings lead the league in GCOWATTGPG with 1.

(That's goals called off without actually touching the goaltender per game.)

Archived