MDZ a healthy scratch...

Flyers97

On Twitter the Flyers beat writers are reporting that DelZotto is a healthy scratch.

Berube sites "a significant drop-off in his play"!  Really??!! He's worse than turnover machine Coburn.  And A Mac is back in after only sitting one game?

I don't get this move at all.

I'm starting to think that Berube doesn't have a clue and is starting to just grasp at straws.  Or, just throwing $hit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

On Twitter the Flyers beat writers are reporting that DelZotto is a healthy scratch.

Berube sites "a significant drop-off in his play"!  Really??!! He's worse than turnover machine Coburn.  And A Mac is back in after only sitting one game?

I'm starting to think that Berube doesn't have a clue and is starting to just grasp at straws.  Or, just throwing $hit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

he's playing favorites, it's the main reason why this loser of a coach off this team, i want a coach that wants to win and not play favorites like chip kelly.

Alrighty. Flyer fans, do me a favor and list your defensemen on a scale of 1 to 10.

Please tell me if they play on the right and left side(Or if they can do both. Most guys can't)

And please tell me who they are usually paired with.

Brilliant move by Berube... Just brilliant.

Of course it is. Tanking for a top 5 pick without saying a word about it. As for benching VLC, that just takes away the questions on why. Anyone they replace VLC with at this point doesn't matter really.

^That's a really simplistic way to look at it. It's a chart of all shots taken for vs. all shots taken against when that player is on the ice. As with using any one or two stats, the chart doesn't tell the whole story. You have to take the player's role into account. But Grossmann's numbers are particularly bad, even taking into account that he's a stay at home defenseman. MacDonald's against numbers are pretty bad, but at least the Flyers are getting some shots while he's out there.

Of course it is. Tanking for a top 5 pick without saying a word about it. As for benching VLC, that just takes away the questions on why. Anyone they replace VLC with at this point doesn't matter really.

Yet anyone they replace him with is better...

I'm with you. MDZ might have had a drop off, but so has EVERYONE. How do they single him out?

Berube sites "a significant drop-off in his play"! Really??!! He's worse than turnover machine Coburn. And A Mac is back in after only sitting one game?

I'm starting to think that Berube doesn't have a clue and is starting to just grasp at straws. Or, just throwing $hit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

So if I understand correctly, Luke schenn is one of the better three? How is that possible? And how bad can the others be?

Well, the metric (Corsi)  takes into account all shots, including missed shots and blocked shots. It's a possession metric. It doesn't account for quality of chances or opponent. So while Luke's possession numbers are solid, his -9 belies another issue - opponents don't get as many shots against him as they do against MacDonald, but when they do, they score. Part of that is the shot blocking, part of that is likely quality of chances. Streit, on the other hand has good possession numbers AND a positive +/-. I found the tweet itself funny, but there are a few inherent issues with the narrative it's presenting.

What I am looking forward to is MDZ's zone entry data whenever @2_for_slashing compiles and releases the Flyer data. According to her, MDZ and Bellemare are two of the best on the team at entering the zone with possession, but she has to watch the tape of each game to quantify it - official NHL stats don't track that data. I think she also tabulates how often the opponent is able to carry into the zone against each player.

Coburn 7/MacDonald 6

Street 7/Grossman 5

Del Sotto 6.5/Schultz 6

Colaiacovo ?/Schenn 5

Am I reading their stat site wrong? or is EVERY Flyer defenseman except Schenn a lefty? Because that is poor poor management. Yes some Dmen can play on their off side, but it generally has a detrimental effect on certain plays, making them take a second longer to execute(And a second is too long at NHL level)

^That's a really simplistic way to look at it. It's a chart of all shots taken for vs. all shots taken against when that player is on the ice. As with using any one or two stats, the chart doesn't tell the whole story. You have to take the player's role into account. But Grossmann's numbers are particularly bad, even taking into account that he's a stay at home defenseman. MacDonald's against numbers are pretty bad, but at least the Flyers are getting some shots while he's out there.

I like Corsi stats. On certain sites, it is possible to extrapolate if his Corsi improves with certain partners on the ice and if he makes them worse, etc.

Surprising to see Streit and Del Zotto, in the 47 minutes they have played together this season, have a 62.4% Corsi.

Streit's Corsi for with Grossman is 43.8, which is bad. When apart from Grossman is jumps to 57.5 with everyone else on average.

Welcome to Flyerland, J0e. That's been an issue since Desjardins.

Well, some Sharks just can't play well on their off side. Vlasic and Braun can, but it noticeably affects their play. Burns and Demers were trainwrecks on their off sides, and Irwin is a trainwreck anyways. Hannan is capable of playing his off side, but is not very good either way anymore.

Mueller seemed okay on his off side.

It was just easy to see how it can make a player fumble coralling a puck because they have to do it on their backhand, then take that extra second to move it to their forehand.

Having 6 Left handed defensemen certainly surprised me to see. I wonder how many of them struggle dramatically on their off side?

I like Corsi stats. On certain sites, it is possible to extrapolate if his Corsi improves with certain partners on the ice and if he makes them worse, etc.

Surprising to see Streit and Del Zotto, in the 47 minutes they have played together this season, have a 62.4% Corsi.

Streit's Corsi for with Grossman is 43.8, which is bad. When apart from Grossman is jumps to 57.5 with everyone else on average.

Yeah, I think the WOWOY Corsis are the most telling. Corsi on its own is useful, but like +/- doesn't tell the whole story.

Archived