Favorite All time Bruins

yave1964

For Norris who got tired of the Lucic thread, I figured I would put another Bruins thread up to change it up a bit for the holidays.

So anyway, my all time favorite Bruins.

TIM THOMAS Okay I am politically as far to the opposite end of the spectrum, but the smiling goalie who took forever to catch a break and when he did he nailed it, having a solid, fun career as a guy who always seemed to love the game.

RAY BOURQUE Just one of the two or three greatest defenseman to ever play the game and a classy individual. His defensive partner would have to be

BOBBY ORR a living legend, THE greatest d-man ever with apologies to Ray and to Lidstrom. Career cut way short or he might be considered the greatest player of all time

TERRY O'REILLY tough Irish kid playing in Boston. What more do you need to say?

MARC SAVARD My wifes all time favorite non Wing, a few years ago in the skills competition he was just so self deprecating and his humor very much humanized him. Great player and a great person.

RICK MIDDLETON Just loved his game, Always seemed to be out of position but he scored like a champ and came over to the Bruins for the ghost of Ken Hodge. Just loved this guy.

So there Norris, Merry Christmas, my list of a lineup of my all time favorite Bruins. What is yours?

Patrice Bergeron - excellent two way player, great faceoff man pker and plays the game with class.

Cam Neely - cause he's Rick Tocchet

Derek Sanderson - the first rock star hockey player.

Bobby Orr - cause he's the best player that ever played

@flyercanuck

So you give Orr props as the all time greatest player to ever play over the Great one?

I agree Orr was amazing, the best blue liner in the history of the game, reinvented the position, 8 Norris trophies, but I still have to give the nod to Gretzky based off longevity. Orr, for just under a decade was the greatest player in the world, Gretzky did it longer.

Strictly based on their time as a Bruin? Or can I put my namesake in? Heck, I changed teams because them trading him was the straw that broke the camels back after years of intentionally letting good players walk because they did not want to pay them. Watching a team play hardball over money and let every single superstar go to stay low budget got old between 96-05. I could take a rebuild. I just could not take Jacobs being so cheap he would rather field a faceless team and make a profit than be competitive. It got very annoying year after year to hear how the bruins were the 2nd lowest payroll in the NHL, but 5th in profits.

This is a guy who had Sinden take Bourque to arbitration when Bourque wanted a raise after being a Hart Runner up and winning multiple Norris trophies. Players holding out every freaking year. But oh! if you have a beef with a fellow owner, feel free to offer 5 million a year to a 3rd line guy like Martin Lapointe just to tweak their nose.

But overall my favorite players ever going by Winger/Defenseman/Goalie are: Cam Neely, Ray Bourque and Andy Moog. If I were to pick a center not named Joe Thornton, it would be Adam Oates.

Ray Bourque was the best defenseman I have ever seen play. Incredible on both ends of the ice. Shame they would never field a proper team around him like the other superpowers of the time.

Cam Neely was overall my favorite player to watch. A wrecking ball with hands of gold and wheels. He could go around you, or run right through you. Defensemen coughed up the puck to the wrong place so much when he was bearing down on them on the forecheck

@flyercanuck

So you give Orr props as the all time greatest player to ever play over the Great one?

I agree Orr was amazing, the best blue liner in the history of the game, reinvented the position, 8 Norris trophies, but I still have to give the nod to Gretzky based off longevity. Orr, for just under a decade was the greatest player in the world, Gretzky did it longer.

I always throw this in when this discussion comes up...

Give me a line of 5 Bobby Orrs at forward and D and I will beat your team of gretzkys/Lemieuxs or Howes any way you want to play the game.

@yave1964

Well how nice of you.

#1 Bobby....but not by much. Greatest player ever? You.

#2 Gerry Cheevers. Loved him as a kid. A winner/fighter/battler a crazy loveable personality. Broke my heart to see him go to the WHA...but he came back with a vengence.

#3 Cam Neely. What a Bruin player is. Tough. Play hard. Play like the opposing player stole something from you. Played injured for so many years and yet produced. Legendary.

#4 Phil Esposito A winner. Not flashy, not quick, did not have a hard shot...but was in synch with Bobby, had great puck sence and was a battler in front of the net. Incredible leader as what was evident in the 72 Summit series.

#5 Rick Middleton Always showed up especially in the playoffs. 45 goals in 114 games. Shame this man did not ever win a Cup.

1005gp 448goals 540assists 988 pts and hes not in the HHoF? Shame.

#6 Patrice Bergeron Bostons Jean Beliveau and I mean that as a compliment.

#7 Stan Jonathan. If we are too young to know who he is....look up Stan Jonathan vs Pierre Bouchard on Youtube. He was like that every fight. It did not matter who he took on ....everyone was bigger than him....he fought like his life depended on it. However one year he also popped in 27 goals!!!

#8 Wayne Cashman. One of the reaons Espo was so scuccesful. Skillful, a leader ...but also had a touch of the crazies.

#9 Ray Bourque He should be higher on my list but in some ways I had at times truly appreciating how good he was. That changed in the 87-88 Cup run. Truly he set the bar high as far as d-men go. He was loyal to the Bruins to the very end...as he could have signed for much more someplace else...till it was obvious the Bruins were no longer icing SC competitive teams. The Bruins traded him to a complete competitive team...the AVS.

#10 Eddie Shore. Obviously never saw him play but hey...the guy is a legend. So much has been written about him. How tough he was. A leader. He was also a bit coocoo/smart hockey man.

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Johnny Bucyk are obvious choices.  But, I have a couple personal favorites.  Pit Martin was a battler.  Derek Sanderson was as good a face-off man as any.  Cheevers  didn't allow many rebounds.  He'd stop the shot, hold onto the puck and then Sanderson would come on to win the face-off.  

A couple sidelines that most of you already know.  When Sanderson jumped, he became the highest paid US pro athlete.  Also, Cheevers got very wealthy, not from hockey, but from race horses.

Johnny Bucyk, one of the very best captains ever. Nifty Ricky....Rick Middleton was very underrated, overshadowed by some of the great Bruin stars....and a guy who never gets talked about enough, Brad Park....who finished 2nd in the Norris to Bobby Orr an awful lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Esposito was and is a jerk. Can't say he was second best. He was a cherry picker. I rate him at the bottom of the list dispute his numbers.

He is the second most accomplished bruin of all time. No one can deny that, he may have been a jerk but he brought leadership.

If he was a good leader then why was he traded to the Rangers?

This story explains a bit of the turmoil surrounding the stormy relationship between the Bruins and Espo at the time of the trade. I don't think Espo was well liked by the Bruins upper management. They liked players to just play, and Espo was as outspoken as they came. It made for a icy relationship...and eventually lead to his being traded.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/screw-espo-rips-bruins-blackhawks-article-1.1370429

I dont think alot of people like Esposito, but no one can deny he was a great player. It doesnt matter how they produce as long as they get it done.
I agree he got it done. It's how he got it done is why people dislike him! Just like Jammer2 said he rubbed people the wrong way! Is he still with Tampa's management team?

I agree he got it done. It's how he got it done is why people dislike him! Just like Jammer2 said he rubbed people the wrong way! Is he still with Tampa's management team?

He's the teams radio color commentator i think, and co hosts some show

Archived