Favorite hockey nicknames

yave1964

Nicknames, some plays upon the persons name, some funny, some cruel have been around for as long as the game has been played. I have been thinking of some of my favorites and wondered if anyone wanted to comment, mentioning some of theirs as well.

Knuckles Nilan always had a cool, bostoneese kind of feel to it.

The golden Jet. the Golden Brett.

Stu 'The Grim Reaper' Grimson. Great for an enforcer

Merlin 'the Magician' Malinoski. Don Cherry used to say they called him the magician because he disapeared at game time.

Speaking of Don Cherry, Grapes.

Cujo, the Dominator, the Hammer.

The Great one, the Next one. Super Mario.

The Rocket, the Pocket Rocket, the Russian Rocket.

All these instantly call to mind certain players, I think it is a shame but as time goes by, nicknames are becoming less and less common. Hell, they used to even give names to lines, the production line for the Wings, all three players had their own nickname, Mr. Hockey, Bootnose and Terrible. The Kraut line. Fun stuff.

What are some of your favorite nicknames over the years?

Ulf Samuelsson was called "Robocop", but it was not an affectionate nickname.

It was pretty much because he wore huge, rock hard pads that were almost a suit of armor that harmed other players when he threw his hits and a visor he never took off when he fought/turtled.

Nicknames, some plays upon the persons name, some funny, some cruel have been around for as long as the game has been played. I have been thinking of some of my favorites and wondered if anyone wanted to comment, mentioning some of theirs as well.

Knuckles Nilan always had a cool, bostoneese kind of feel to it.

The golden Jet. the Golden Brett.

Stu 'The Grim Reaper' Grimson. Great for an enforcer

Merlin 'the Magician' Malinoski. Don Cherry used to say they called him the magician because he disapeared at game time.

Speaking of Don Cherry, Grapes.

Cujo, the Dominator, the Hammer.

The Great one, the Next one. Super Mario.

The Rocket, the Pocket Rocket, the Russian Rocket.

All these instantly call to mind certain players, I think it is a shame but as time goes by, nicknames are becoming less and less common. Hell, they used to even give names to lines, the production line for the Wings, all three players had their own nickname, Mr. Hockey, Bootnose and Terrible. The Kraut line. Fun stuff.

What are some of your favorite nicknames over the years?

Cujo. ill never forget the time he let in 5 goals to Ottawa. The headlines the next day were "Joe Sieve?"

As for line names, I still see fans create line names occasionally.

Tampa fans are calling the Tyler Johnson/Kucherov/Ondrej Palat line the TKO line. The Problem is, lines don't tend to stick these days

Archived