Could Simmonds be one of the problems?

fanaticV3.0

He's gotten really defensive in post-game interviews. He must have said "not really" and "we played a good game" after every question/critique of the team a reporter made today. This isn't the first time I've seem him act dickish in interivews either. Whenever somebody asks him a question, he's got a little bit of the case of "I'm never wrong" going on.

He's also been streaky (more so in past seasons) and I'm wondering if he's one of the ones taking nights off cause he doesn't like that coach?

So he acts "dickish" one or more times and he is the problem? I would think he is more pissed as he is a competitor. He is right.. They did not play a bad game but lost to the better team today. And if he is not liking the Coach or his system... Well, he is probably right bc Berube is a bad Coach.

Not picking on you fanatic. I think for the most part he is frustrated and rightfully so...

So he acts "dickish" one or more times and he is the problem? I would think he is more pissed as he is a competitor. He is right.. They did not play a bad game but lost to the better team today. And if he is not liking the Coach or his system... Well, he is probably right bc Berube is a bad Coach.

Not picking on you fanatic. I think for the most part he is frustrated and rightfully so...

No. I asked if he could be one of, meaning there are many, not the problem.

If he's frustrated, he should take it out on his teammates in the locker room and his oppoents on the ice. Bitching at a bunch of reporters, who are asking perfectly valid questions considering the fact the team sucks, is deflection and that's a sign of somebody who doesn't want to admit what the problem is (and is possibly likely to scapegoat...say a coach). What I'm doing here is pondering, not accusing.

I did not say you are accusing so relax. Why do you always have to be so indignant? Just trying to respond to your post man...

Maybe he is doing the same to his teammates. No one knows as we are not in the locker room. All I am saying as out of this team Simmons is not one of my concerns.

I've never been an NHL player, so I can't say for sure, but I don't usually get overly worked up about the personality issues (real or imagined) of players. We're not in the room, and even then, there haven't really been guys who were such monumental assholes or large enough distractions to turn a good team into a bad one. Or maybe I don't give this idea enough time... It's possible.

In an era when the NHL handed Sam Pollock the keys to the kingdom, and let him rig pretty much the entire 1970s in favor of the Habs, I tend to agree more with Bill Torrey, who managed to build a dynasty anyway: "It's no secret, it's not complicated. Get good players."

The Flyers record is probably much more of an indication of not having enough good players than how open Wayne Simmonds during the interview process.

I did not say you are accusing so relax. Why do you always have to be so indignant? Just trying to respond to your post man...

Maybe he is doing the same to his teammates. No one knows as we are not in the locker room. All I am saying as out of this team Simmons is not one of my concerns.

You asked a question, I answered. Lighten up Francis.

There are rumors that there are guys on this team who are consciously phoning it in because they don't like their coach. If there was dissention in the locker room, other than displeasure with the coach, we'd have heard something. You don't snap at reporters if you agree with their questions. He shot down every one they asked. There is at the very little a little denial/deflection there.

I've never been an NHL player, so I can't say for sure, but I don't usually get overly worked up about the personality issues (real or imagined) of players. We're not in the room, and even then, there haven't really been guys who were such monumental assholes or large enough distractions to turn a good team into a bad one. Or maybe I don't give this idea enough time... It's possible.

In an era when the NHL handed Sam Pollock the keys to the kingdom, and let him rig pretty much the entire 1970s in favor of the Habs, I tend to agree more with Bill Torrey, who managed to build a dynasty anyway: "It's no secret, it's not complicated. Get good players."

The Flyers record is probably much more of an indication of not having enough good players than how open Wayne Simmonds during the interview process.

If you have ever been a member of any team, held a job, or been a part of a group in any way, shape, or form, you know personality issues can indeed affect the the groups dynamics.

If you have ever been a member of any team, held a job, or been a part of a group in any way, shape, or form, you know personality issues can indeed affect the the groups dynamics.

For sure. I'm not doubting that it happens. I'm wondering if it's enough to turn a good team into a bad one? I'm more likely to believe that "not enough good players" is usually the issue, even if there are some prickly pears on the club.

Maybe he just hates the Philly media.

Quite possibly.

@fanaticV3.0

I don't know the answer to your question but get what inspired it. It could very well be he (among others) is getting tired of the "here we are after another loss again" routine. The same questions inspired by the same crap results has to be grueling.

But, what you're wondering is possible. It's also possible he wasn't initially part of the problem but is being taken by the wave of losing.

I guess for now I'm just going to go with the idea he has got to be frustrated.

May I see some more speculation on this please? I'm just currently having difficulty caring even the tiniest rats ass you can find about how and why Simmonds responds to reporters after another loss. How Simmonds reacts to reporters just isn't even on my radar when there are all the other radar blips of trouble showing up on the screen (where the eff' is my ECM button). If I can be furnished with more speculation of what is going on in the locker room I will re-evaluate this potentially team crippling phenomenon and change my mind, once there is sufficient speculation. 

He has been fairly weak defensively this year as well.

He's gotten really defensive in post-game interviews. He must have said "not really" and "we played a good game" after every question/critique of the team a reporter made today. This isn't the first time I've seem him act dickish in interivews either. Whenever somebody asks him a question, he's got a little bit of the case of "I'm never wrong" going on.

He's also been streaky (more so in past seasons) and I'm wondering if he's one of the ones taking nights off cause he doesn't like that coach?

Okay it's official, the season is over. It's time to roll up the mats and put the pop up tents down. We'll wait for the trade deadline to hear the next order of business folks. Thank you and have a good night, fairwell from all of us at W Ennnn Bee Cee....

Maybe he just hates the Philly media.

If that's how he feels, I'd tell him to grow a f-cking pair. This is the big leagues son, suck it up. He's not even singled out either, so it's not like he has is rough here. That being said, he's still not a big as bitch as Mopey Mike when he was here.

May I see some more speculation on this please? I'm just currently having difficulty caring even the tiniest rats ass you can find about how and why Simmonds responds to reporters after another loss. How Simmonds reacts to reporters just isn't even on my radar when there are all the other radar blips of trouble showing up on the screen (where the eff' is my ECM button). If I can be furnished with more speculation of what is going on in the locker room I will re-evaluate this potentially team crippling phenomenon and change my mind, once there is sufficient speculation. 

More speculation on my admitted speculation, which I already explained)? Sorry bro, I'm not Houdini and can only perform so much magic.

I'd say you care a fair amount. You seem pretty pissed off about it actually, which is kind of silly.

Quite possibly.

@fanaticV3.0

I don't know the answer to your question but get what inspired it. It could very well be he (among others) is getting tired of the "here we are after another loss again" routine. The same questions inspired by the same crap results has to be grueling.

But, what you're wondering is possible. It's also possible he wasn't initially part of the problem but is being taken by the wave of losing.

I guess for now I'm just going to go with the idea he has got to be frustrated.

At least 3 players and the coach (not in the video, but quoted in the article) said the played a good game: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-believe-they-competed-hard-numbing-loss-bruins. They are one of the worst teams in the league and their only goal in that particular game came with just a few minutes left. They were 5 minutes away from being completely shut out. And they and they want to tell me how well they played?!?! Here's some more quotes from the post game. Simmonds alone said the played a good game at least twice and I think I might have heard a 3rd time when I saw it live. At the very least, they are delusional and that goes from the coach right on down through the players. Played a good game?! What the f-ck is this tee ball?

For sure. I'm not doubting that it happens. I'm wondering if it's enough to turn a good team into a bad one? I'm more likely to believe that "not enough good players" is usually the issue, even if there are some prickly pears on the club.

I hear you on the talent issue, but just because you have good players doesn't mean it is going to work out. Lack of chemistry on and off the ice happens all the time. Good players don't guarantee a good team. Look at the 09 team for example of that.

He has been fairly weak defensively this year as well.

I like the guy as a player, but I hear what you're saying. It was a little more obvious when he was putting up 30-40 points in a season, but I definitely see what you are talking about.

Simmonds isn't great in his own end, for whatever reason, his line often got pinned in the d-zone last season and are about 50/50 with that this season.  

I don't know if I care that he's not a great two way player, what he brings with his net presence and toughness is enough to suit me in his role as a second line and power play scoring threat.  Someone said this about VLC he's only ever cared about 100 feet of the rink for most of his hockey life why at 34 is he going to be able to make the shift to being a 200 ft player ?  Simmonds is younger so maybe his leopard spots aren't set yet, but I don't want him playing the same game as I do Matt Read ,  If we're to be a good team he needs to have his skinny ass parked in front of the opposing teams goalie and not be on the ice for defensive zone draws vs the oppositions # 1 or 2 lines.  for me i don't need 17 be a great two way player, just score goals and beat people up.  

Ooooh, I didn't catch that one. What did he say? Roughly.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/wayne-simmonds-flyers-might-not-have-won-wayne-gretzky

Or, to put it another way: “The way we played tonight, we could have had Wayne Gretzky in our lineup and I don’t know if we would have won,” Wayne Simmonds said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150106_Hextall_on_making_drastic_changes__No_tanks.html

"It's small things that are accumulating, and they're becoming bigger things," Wayne Simmonds said after practice yesterday. " . . . If you make a lot of little mistakes, they compound and then you start thinking about them more and more. I think that has to do with some of our starts. You have something bad happen and you're like, 'Oh no, here we go again.

"That shouldn't be the case. We're professional athletes here. We should have the mental capacity to make a mistake and be able to rebound from it."

Quickest I could find. I recall others...

That was just last week. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the PR wizards said "let's put a cork in that"

Archived