Flyers-Islanders Gameday

AJgoal

Found this little gem on CSN Philly:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-weekly-observations-whats-ray-emery

10. There’s no way the Flyers can be pleased with their performance against Buffalo. Sure, the power play moved the puck extraordinarily well and connected for two goals. That’s good and all but here’s the real issue: The game was 2-2 at even strength. The Sabres entered Saturday riding a nine-game winless stretch in which they were outscored 39-9. Leave it to the Flyers to make it a one-goal game. It really should have been a blowout.

This is confusing. And I think this is the kind of mismatched expectations that have led us down the s**thole we're in right now. No, it should *not* have been a blowout against Buffalo - we are closer to their level of play than he might want to admit. 

The whole "leave it to the Flyers" attitude is bizarre - has he watched this team play? At all? They are not a very good team. 

Saw the second period and it was just godawful despite the two goals.

Remember when the Isles were a laughing stock with a bunch of talented young guys and Mark Streit and Andrew MacDonald as their top Dmen?

Sound familiar?

Saw the second period and it was just godawful despite the two goals.

Remember when the Isles were a laughing stock with a bunch of talented young guys and Mark Streit and Andrew MacDonald as their top Dmen?

Sound familiar?

Any chance MacDonald can "accidentally" miss his flight? I'd take Freddy Meyer IV as fair compensation.

Nope. The Isles haven't been a laughingstock for several years, IMO. Long before they had Streit, MacDonald, or their talented young guys.

Any chance MacDonald can "accidentally" miss his flight? I'd take Freddy Meyer IV as fair compensation.

He's getting married in the Bahamas this weekend. Who wants to head down there and shred his passport?

Nope. The Isles haven't been a laughingstock for several years, IMO. Long before they had Streit, MacDonald, or their talented young guys.

They've played two (2) rounds of playoff hockey since the lockout. The 04-05 lockout.

Their finish in the division since Tavares was drafted?

09-10 5th

10-11 5th

11-12 5th

12-13 lost in first round (shortened season)

Sounds an awful lot like a laughingstock to me...

Really? I don't know - 26th overall last year, 17th overall in 2012-13 was decent, but then they were 27th overall in 11-12, 27th in 10-11, 26th in 09-10.

I disagree. I think a team putting up 79ish points a season isn't good, but hardly a laughingstock. The Isles of the late 90s, with several sub-60 point seasons in a row? Absolutely. You could see these Islanders coming, they just had to find a goaltender.

And MacDonald and Streit were pretty much never were a pair, much less the Isles "top pair." In the four seasons they played together, they only played together 5 on 5 for more than 100 minutes once - and even then, it was less than 400 minutes out of Streit's almost 1400 that season - his main partner that year was Bruno Gervais.  

We need a porch-clearing D in the worst way. I agree with the NHL Network analysts that it wouldn't matter who the goalie is...this D is "fragile" to use their descriptor.

Howie

Today is another example--didn't matter if it was Zepp or Razor. . . . . we were bombed. 

I disagree. I think a team putting up 79ish points a season isn't good, but hardly a laughingstock. The Isles of the late 90s, with several sub-60 point seasons in a row? Absolutely. You could see these Islanders coming, they just had to find a goaltender.

And MacDonald and Streit were pretty much never were a pair, much less the Isles "top pair." In the four seasons they played together, they only played together 5 on 5 for more than 100 minutes once - and even then, it was less than 400 minutes out of Streit's almost 1400 that season - his main partner that year was Bruno Gervais.  

Your quibbles are noted :)

I can tell you that there are more than a few people who have been laughing their collective asses off at "Garth Snow and the New York Islanders" for many years now...

Watching the second period, when they cut it to 3-1 and the Isles came right back to make it 4-1 and then again after they cut to 4-2 to give up that 5-2 goal it struck me that these two teams had swapped places.

The Isles are atop the division with a talented young core, solid defense and goaltender.

The Flyers, by contrast, look lost in the woods.

You could see these Islanders coming, they just had to find a goaltender.

OK, I'll give you that. That said, who has more 11-12 Islander defensemen today - the Isles or the Flyers?

I'll give you a hint. It ain't the Islanders...

Just for the record, too, MacDonald and Streit were both among the top scoring dmen on the Isles while they were there - not that they "played on the same pairing".

And, of course, being the top scoring dmen on the Isles at that point wasn't really saying much...

But it did get them nice contracts from the Flyers.

At least they didn't keep Gervais to pair with Streit :). Totally misremembered the top/top pair bit, my bad.

Also: Donovan, De Haan, Hamonic all played for the Isles in 2011-2012 and this year  :ph34r:  (Yes, I realize that Donovan and De Haan were callups, just busting your chops) 

I do (and did) get what you're saying re: MacDonald and Streit, though I don't think Streit is/was a mistake. Guy doesn't take a lot of punishment so he should produce until his contract ends - Defensively he's not bad, either, until it comes time to move a guy out of the crease. He might even recoup more than what the Flyers gave up if he's moved at the deadline or in the offseason. One season less on his contract and I would like it better. I think I was advocating not trading for MacDonald before the trade, maybe I complained right after. My opinion hasn't changed on that.

After the game Berube said the Flyers did not compete hard enough, surprise surprise. Is that the only sound bite he learned in his press conferences 101 class? Guy is like a see and say, just pull the chord and you will hear the same thing.

The cow goes moo, Berube goes compete harder!

Can't stand the guy, can't wait until he is gone.

I never got on board with the criticism of any coach, or player for that matter, for what they say to the press. What do we really expect them to say? I expect them to give away as little of what they saw wrong as possible, let the other coaches figure it out. A coach could quack at the reporters if he prepares his guys well, as far as I'm concerned.  What's important, IMO, is what guidance they give their players. 

The problem with Berube is that I don't think he's giving any real guidance behind the scenes, either.

Archived