Farnham - Bellemare fight

Polaris922

Not much to see there. Somebody made it sound like Bellemare cleaned Farnham out. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it. One punch lands. Barely a fight let alone cleaning out. Wasn't like a knockout or anything.

Huh? What? You woke me up for this?...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much to see there. Somebody made it sound like Bellemare cleaned Farnham out. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it. One punch lands. Barely a fight let alone cleaning out. Wasn't like a knockout or anything.

Huh? What? You woke me up for this?...

Considering that most fights see no punches actually landing, the fact that Belly pops Farnham on the beak, makes it stands out. Not a long scrap, but then again, it's that pop to the beak that basically causes the fight to end prematurely.

Props to Farnham for keeping to the code at the end. He could have hurt Belly.

Flyers call up goon to fight the pens ...?

Wait it was the Pens who called up the goon ..

You need a bigger Goon .

Who said called up a goon? I said this was disappointing. Farnham is an AHL middle weight. He's not here to fight.

Farnham is an AHL middle weight. He's not here to fight.

But the French guy was? Really? It was just funny that Farnham went to the trouble of dragging what he saw as the least dangerous opponent from the scrum to dance with only to look pretty darn silly for his troubles.

But the French guy was? Really? It was just funny that Farnham went to the trouble of dragging what he saw as the least dangerous opponent from the scrum to dance with only to look pretty darn silly for his troubles.

If you watch the video of the play, Farnham gets knocked down by a Flyers player away from the puck. He chases him to the bench and gets knocked down by another Flyer from behind. He gets up and that's when the scrum starts, but Bellemare comes in to tie him up from behind. So of course he gets into a tussle with him. I'd have liked to have seen Bellemare take his visor off to start, and get back up to see how it would really turn out... But maybe another game. Bellemare has a big height advantage, but could prove interesting. Neither are heavyweights. Lol

I didn't think Farnham looked silly. He got punched once and the two fell down. He got up ready to keep going and Bellemare was at a bad spot so he let it go. I thought he actually handled it well not hitting a vulnerable player on the ice to avenge his image over one punch.

If you watch the video of the play, Farnham gets knocked down by a Flyers player away from the puck. He chases him to the bench and gets knocked down by another Flyer from behind. He gets up and that's when the scrum starts, but Bellemare comes in to tie him up from behind. So of course he gets into a tussle with him. I'd have liked to have seen Bellemare take his visor off to start, and get back up to see how it would really turn out... But maybe another game. Bellemare has a big height advantage, but could prove interesting. Neither are heavyweights. Lol

I didn't think Farnham looked silly. He got punched once and the two fell down. He got up ready to keep going and Bellemare was at a bad spot so he let it go. I thought he actually handled it well not hitting a vulnerable player on the ice to avenge his image over one punch.

I can't argue with most of that but Bellemare by holding onto him kept Farnham from cracking his skull when they were on the way to the ice. I give the guy credit for being able to recover from a shot like that faster than anyone can reasonably be expected to.

You need a bigger (boat)  Goon  !!! ha ha ha ha ha ..

You better take a good look at that  your goon boy was not out for a evening stroll and a fight broke out ..  he already had his gloves off  and he pulled frenchy out of the pile to fight .

If you watch the video of the play, Farnham gets knocked down by a Flyers player away from the puck. He chases him to the bench and gets knocked down by another Flyer from behind. He gets up and...

Never mind Farnham's fighting abilities, he should learn how to stand up! Dude learned how to skate from Hartnell, or what?

Who said called up a goon? I said this was disappointing. Farnham is an AHL middle weight. He's not here to fight.

His 1 g 3 a and 117 pims say he wasn't there to play hockey. And he's not...they sent him back down the next day. So they brought him up to wreak havoc and the havoc was wreaked upon them.

I'd love to hear what most Pens fans would say if Philly brought up a guy with those stats who picked a fight with a guy who'd never fought in his life. It would be hilarious. Nice punch by Frenchie though.

His 1 g 3 a and 117 pims say he wasn't there to play hockey. And he's not...they sent him back down the next day. So they brought him up to wreak havoc and the havoc was wreaked upon them.

I'd love to hear what most Pens fans would say if Philly brought up a guy with those stats who picked a fight with a guy who'd never fought in his life. It would be hilarious. Nice punch by Frenchie though.

FC, I respect your opinion and all, and I try to call it as I see it in most cases(Even I have homer glasses once in a while). In this case though, I think you're wrong.  Farnham has been up and down this season based on the multitude of injuries/illness games lost for the Pens this year.  Yep he generates a lot of PIM's in the AHL, but he's also a big energy player with good speed.  He's worked out great on the fourth line and many Pens fans were disappointed that was sent back down last time not for toughness, but because he showed better qualities of play than Ebbet,Sill,Rust,Uhr or Adams. Farnham was called up with the latest guys going down including Depres sickness and Goc.  That's what we're down to.   Its not like he was only brought up for this game against the Flyers, he's played 11 games or a quarter of the games the Pens have played this year.

Good punch by Frenchie though, maybe he should drop em more often.

I'd have liked to have seen Bellemare take his visor off to start, and get back up to see how it would really turn out...

Of couree you would, that's an automatic two minute penalty*

* not assessed to Farnham...

@nossagog

We have more rational Pens fans on this board than most of the other boards combined. I get a laugh out of reading how Downie is a good player who's just misunderstood....now that he's a Pen. The guy was considered Satans spawn when he played for Philly. He hasn't changed one bit.

My point was if Philly brought up a guy, any guy, with Farnhams stats and he dragged a French guy on the Pens out of a scrum who'd never fought...Pens boards would explode with accusations of brutality and thuggery. That's all I was saying.

@nossagog

We have more rational Pens fans on this board than most of the other boards combined. I get a laugh out of reading how Downie is a good player who's just misunderstood....now that he's a Pen. The guy was considered Satans spawn when he played for Philly. He hasn't changed one bit.

My point was if Philly brought up a guy, any guy, with Farnhams stats and he dragged a French guy on the Pens out of a scrum who'd never fought...Pens boards would explode with accusations of brutality and thuggery. That's all I was saying.

I get your point on the visuals, that's easy to understand. I think we're on the same page, I was just trying to point out that in this case, the visual is a little misleading. 

As for Downie, I think he's worn off whatever welcome he had here.  The whole egging on the crowd heading for the locker room is just unnecessary and just fired up the Flyer crowd even more,grow up.  People were hoping that Tochet could rein him in, not happening and his reputation follows him like a dark cloud.  He needs a serious sit down halfway through the season with someone who can explain to him that he may be on his final chance on the team as well as in the NHL if he can't behave himself.   Somehow I visualize this as talking to a brick wall.

He's nowhere near as bad as most Pen fans thought he was in Philly, and nowhere near as good (as in nice) as they think he is in Pitt or good (as in talented) as they thought he was in Philadelphia.

Amended it for you :)

@flyercanuck

He COULD fill in a valuable role on a third line, but he just takes too many penalties at times to make it worth it.  He's been pretty lucky for the  most part as the Pens PK has been pretty great, and they kill them off. But with his rep he gets his normal penalties, and then add to that the reputation penalties.  Its just too much baggage.  Add to that the stupid stuff he does to irk the opposing fans and players.

@nossagog

And if Crosby had gone after an opposing player after a textbook legal hip check they way Voracek went after Scuderi he'd be called a petulant child who doesn't like to get hit whereas Voracek is a hero. Just sayin'. ;)

(Don't argue - you know it's true).

@B21

Do you mean if Crosby went after and fought someone...or snuck up behind him and punched him in the nuts? Cause I'd love to see Crosby actually fight someone without the refs holding the other guy.

(don't argue-you know its true)

@B21

Do you mean if Crosby went after and fought someone...or snuck up behind him and punched him in the nuts? Cause I'd love to see Crosby actually fight someone without the refs holding the other guy.

JV was gloves off and swining before Scuds knew what was happening. Not a sneak attack - but close. Primary point - he got hit legally and didn't like it.

Crosby does same and...well.....

I agree with this. It was good sportsmanship. The fans who cheer for and the media that covers that team could learn a thing or two from him.

@B21

Yeah I'd rather not see that. Really, I as a Pens don't want to see my best player fighting anyone. I cringed when he went after the guy that hit Malkin low earlier this year. Again not much of a fight, more of a dance, but I don't want to see him do that. Not only the chance of injury, but his best asset is trying to score(and I don't mean scoring policeman's behinds)

Of couree you would, that's an automatic two minute penalty*

* not assessed to Farnham...

Not that I'm trying to be the rule book pOHlice here, rather because I think the significance of this particular fight deserves at least 100 or so more posts and I want to do my part... but:

46.11  Instigator - An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting and a ten-minute misconduct. 

Farnham had his gloves off and most certainly assumed a "menacing attitude or posture" so he should have gotten an instigator penalty. If we want to go by the rules, I mean.  :ph34r:

Farnham had his gloves off and most certainly assumed a "menacing attitude or posture" so he should have gotten an instigator penalty. If we want to go by the rules, I mean. :ph34r:

Can't argue with that.

So that's a double minor then - instigator and helmet - that the Pens for some reason were not assessed.

I wonder if any of our friendly neighborhood Pens fans have any insight as to why that might be?

:cool[1]:

Archived