1. 1. 2nd greatest dman of all time?

• Ray Bourque
    • Nicklas Lidstrom
    • Doug Harvey
    • Paul Coffey
    • Denis Potvin
    • Chris Chelios
    • Other

So, who is in your opinion the second greatest defenseman of all time? Personally i think it really only comes down to 3 players that make a good argument for 2nd place.

Nicklas Lidstrom

7 Norris trophies, a Conn Smyth and a first time Allstar 11 times. He is arguably the best European player of all time, he was very consistent throughout his entire career. Won a Norris trophy at 40 and was the oldest player to do so. Was a Norris finalist 3 times and was atleast in the top ten from 1995 to the time he retired.

Doug Harvey

According to hockey writers, he was the best defensive defenseman of all time. Norris trophy winner 7 times and 1st time Allstar 11 times. Was a finalist for the hart and norris trophy once and was atleast top 5 in Hart voting 4 times.

Ray Bourque

Won 5 norris trophies and was a first time Allstar 14 times (most of any player in history i believe) Was probably the most consistent defenseman of all time. He was always in the top ten in Norris voting for his whole career...thats 23 years. Basically the Gordie Howe of defenseman. It is also important to note that he had the toughest competition of defenseman. Competing with all time great defenseman in their primes, Stevens, Niedermayer, Chelios and a few more im too lazy to search up.

Honorable Mentions

Paul Coffey

probably the best offensive defenseman, won 3 norris trophies and scored the most goals of any defenseman. 

Chris Chelios

greatest american born player of all time, won 3 norris trophies and he played longer then he should have.

Denis Potvin

3 norris trophies, was a scary mother ******.

I think Lidstrom also.

Interesting thing about Doug Harvey.  When he was on the ice, he set the tempo of the game.  He had a kind of relaxed, deliberate style of play.  Everyone else reacted to him.  

1. Orr

2. Lidstrom

3. Bourque

4. Potvin

5. Robinson

HM: Park

Never saw Harvey so can't rate him

unfortunately for park. Orrs prime was when parks prime started so he got overshadowed by him. If park was in any other decade he would have won a norris atleast

1. Orr

2. Lidstrom

3. Bourque

4. Potvin

5. Robinson

HM: Park

Never saw Harvey so can't rate him

Great list and love the Park HM. I think Harvey should be on the list but appreciate your reason for not including him.

I would keep your order and probably put Harvey between Bourque and Potvin.

Great list and love the Park HM. I think Harvey should be on the list but appreciate your reason for not including him.

I would keep your order and probably put Harvey between Bourque and Potvin.

Obviously Harvey is an all time great and belongs in there somewhere, I just don't know how to put him in a specific spot.

unfortunately for park. Orrs prime was when parks prime started so he got overshadowed by him. If park was in any other decade he would have won a norris atleast

Yeah, Park finished second in the Norris voting more than anyone else. Six times I believe, and I think four of those were behind Orr. It's a shame he never won it.

I think Lidstrom also.

Interesting thing about Doug Harvey.  When he was on the ice, he set the tempo of the game.  He had a kind of relaxed, deliberate style of play.  Everyone else reacted to him.

I was born four years after Harvey retired, but *everything* I ever read about or was spoken about with regard to him says that. My guess (and that's what it is) is that the closest combination of that ability to control the pace of the game, draw in forecheckers before getting the puck to a teammate, and the mean streak, would come in the form of one Christopher F Pronger.

@JagerMeister  Larry Robinson. He brought toughness and tenacity that the other star d-men could never match. Lot's of forwards would not go into the corners with Larry, or least hesitate and reluctantly go in. You had to have you head on a swivel when Robinson was on the ice. He intimidated, took no prisoners, but ran a pp like a General and had a WICKED shot....and oh yeah, in an era when it was important, he could knock anybody silly with one punch. Just loved his smooth stride and smarts.....he was the total package.

@JagerMeister  Larry Robinson. He brought toughness and tenacity that the other star d-men could never match. Lot's of forwards would not go into the corners with Larry, or least hesitate and reluctantly go in. You had to have you head on a swivel when Robinson was on the ice. He intimidated, took no prisoners, but ran a pp like a General and had a WICKED shot....and oh yeah, in an era when it was important, he could knock anybody silly with one punch. Just loved his smooth stride and smarts.....he was the total package.

He was great, but would you pick him over Bourque and Lidstrom?

I'm prejudiced against Coffey because of his play when he came to the Flyers.   He farted around skating with the puck instead of headmanning the puck.

Maybe that stuff worked when he was a young man in Edmonton, but here it seemed like selfishness. 

Eddie Shore won 4 Hart Trophies. He obviously didn't do it in a talent pool as deep as other guys, but 4 MVPs are tough to just brush away with the wave of a hand, not to mention that the talent pool has only gotten deeper with each generation, so this is something we could say about damn near every player in this thread.

Eddie Shore won 4 Hart Trophies. He obviously didn't do it in a talent pool as deep as other guys, but 4 MVPs are tough to just brush away with the wave of a hand, not to mention that the talent pool has only gotten deeper with each generation, so this is something we could say about damn near every player in this thread.

Nice one, forgot about him as well. Come to think of it, I think there is a good argument for Shore being second. He won 4 harts as a defenseman over players like Howie Morenz who was basically the gretzky of his era and i dont think the Norris was invented during Shore's time so that explains his lack of norris trophies

You know who had the potential to be one of the greatest defenseman of all time, none other than Phillys own Behn Wilson. I never saw a defenseman with such a combination of size ,skill and toughness in my life. Wilson got somewhere around 60 points as a rookie for us, he was an intimidating force offensively and physically , talk about a mean streak, he was to me the best fighter we ever had and could play hockey. He had all the tools to be a superstar hall of famer. For whatever reason he never fully developed, but to this day I have yet to see another with that combination of skill and toughness all in one package.

Ok forgot about Robinson, and of course Robinson is a true Hall of famer for sure. I still think that no one had that hair trigger temper like Wilson, he fought way more than Robinson. Wilson was one angry guy. There aren't many players coming up these days that have that blend of skill , toughness and fighting ability like a Wilson or Stevens or Tocchet. Robinson never went looking for a fight, I think Tocchet and Wilson enjoyed it and went looking for it, that's a scary player.

Archived